94-98 Stang held with me , but HOW?

Mikie2001GT

The Ghost with the Most !
Established Member
I had a run in today with a guy that drove a black GT, the year model was not clear because he had rice lights on the rear.
We were headed home from Pep boys and this black GT fights through traffic to catch up, he gets beside me and slows to my speed.We hit it almost identically and were side by side until I topped 4th gear out to the rev limmiter.
We slowed down to a stop light and talked for a minute.
He asked what I had and I told him, he replied thats great.
I aksed the same of him and he told me he had catback and K&N.
Well I was expecting a bit more info , but he said thats all !!!!
I was like WTF? because I had also noticed a whining sound that was fairly loud to the front of the car.I said dude it sounds like you are supercharged and he smiled and said that was his gear drive making all that noise.
What the hell is a gear drive?
Maybe some of you guys can help me understand what happened because I dont understand.
Thanks
Mike

Low151

Established Member
I believe

I believe that he was referring to a timing gear instead of a chain. It often gives the fabled blower sound. Pick up a Summit or a Jegs they carry gear drives, and it will show you what they are talking about. But if he didn't admit up to that before, he might not be admitting up to a lot more. Maybe that thing is riced out with decals under the hood that are forcing like 80 pounds of boost right through the stock MAF. Ok forget that last part.

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Without a turbo/supercharger/nitrous, there is NO was a stock 94/5 5.0 or 96-8 4.6 is gonna hang with you Mikie...

I vote blower...

Mikie2001GT

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys,

Jimbo, I thought I was goin soft on the pedal or somethin :D
I have been away from the internet for a while so whats been happening around here ?

Later bud ;)

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Gear drives take the place of timing chains. I met a guy at the track once that had one. Sounded just like a S/C at idle! He even opened the hood to prove to me there was no blower.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
I posted a kill a month or so ago when I beat a 2000 silver GT. Surprised the hell out of me as all I've done is a Prochamber, cat-back, and filter. (Oh yeah, I'm a very good driver too:D ). He drove the hell out of his also. The only thing I can think of is maybe he didn't break his car in enough or maybe there was something wrong with it. His sounded totally stock though.

XLR8-R

Established Member
Nobody in their right mind would go to the trouble and expense of putting JUST a gear drive on a car(which only applies to a pushrod motor in this case). It's a bit of work and absolutely no horsepower gain on a "stock" engine. So...I say blower. Although, a lightly modded 94-95(pulleys,exhaust,MAF, and gears), could possibly give you a run.

Carter

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
:idea: Mike you already know what I'm thinking about on this one.

A roots blower is going to make the car idle a little different, but you'd get the whine. Might have been the guys case.

Gear driven timing is something done by guys with alot of lift, compression, and mods to keep the timing chain breakage out of the equation. If he did infact have a gear driven timing assenbly he was modded waaay more than he let on. We both know about the 5.0 guys around here. Spray the shit outta ya and lie like a cheap rug about it. No real way to know exactly what he had done unless he opened it up for you. Reguardless it was more than you had and he couldn't do anything with you.

Remember Marshall Lafar? The guy with the 306. Had GT-40 intakes, heads, E-303 cam, pullies, MAF, and K&N ? Granted the car was setup with low compression for nitrous use and he didn't spray me. It took him 3 gears to put 1 car length on me in my 96 Cobra with only the Bassani. This sounds similar to your race.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Re: I believe

Originally posted by Low151
I believe that he was referring to a timing gear instead of a chain. It often gives the fabled blower sound. Pick up a Summit or a Jegs they carry gear drives, and it will show you what they are talking about. But if he didn't admit up to that before, he might not be admitting up to a lot more. Maybe that thing is riced out with decals under the hood that are forcing like 80 pounds of boost right through the stock MAF. Ok forget that last part.
LMAO@ 80 pounds of boost!!

Prolly S/Ced some are really nice and quiet

ONESWEETSVT

Established Member
:lol: there is know miss placement for dissplacement. my friend havs a sn95 gt whit intake X pipe and flowmaster. he can beat a 2000 with exhaust. He is running about 14.4 or so. the bbk intake that he has sounds like a blower. everytime we race a mustang they ask us how much were boosting. but NO boost.. sorry stock motor.

Mikie2001GT

Established Member
Guy that is just stupid!

There is no 5.0 gt on the freakin planet that will run 13.60s stock!
maybe low 15s -high 14s.
There is always one 5.0 guy in every crowd thats gotta jump in on a technical discussion and brag about how(me,my cousin or my friend) wears out new mustangs all day.
I gave the guy props , but his car was far from stock and he lied.
I dont care if you did outrun a 2000 gt on the street, heck I have taken down a few LS1s on the street , but when it counts at the track the mod motor is superior in every way to the 5.0
The only advantage the 5.0 has is there are more parts availible for serious modding.The saying is, (say it correctly or dont say it)
There is no replacement for displacement which is not true any more, just ask any of the new Cobra guys that are holding thier own against the mighty 5.7 liters.
Oh and I am gonna put a link in my sig to my dyno runs if you care to read them. With only a K&N , X-pipe and flows I put down
255 hp to the wheels and 300+ lb ft of torque :burnout:
You put the same mods on any 5.0 motor and it will never and I repeat never make that kind of power!
Im not bashing the 5.0 , but just tired of hearing how bone stock ones are kicking azz.Where was all this azz kicking when I owned my slow 95 gt that ran low 15s at the strip with mods :eek:
stop the madness already.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Re: Re: I believe

Originally posted by sohowcome
LMAO@ 80 pounds of boost!!

Prolly S/Ced some are really nice and quiet

Yeah some are so quiet you just never know. :coolman:

But it can get annoying also, I had this punk in a Civic want to race because he thought I was pretty stock.:bash:

XLR8-R

Established Member
5.0s are slow?

My 90 5.0 went 13.90s with h-pipe, inch and a half shorty headers, pullies, and K&N. That was goodyear gt's and 3.08 gears, 99mph. I'm pretty sure mine wasn't the fastest either. I'd watch what you say about the 5.0 or someones gonna flame you...And as you can see, I too own a mod motored Mustang now.

Carter

Mikie2001GT

Established Member
Carter ,

I had better watch what I say ?
Did I bash the 5.0 in any way? Im sorry if you took it like that , I did say that the 4.6 was superior, is that bashing?
Bro I have paid my dues in many cars and had to claw and fight from slow to medeocre times and have never seen a STOCK 5.0 in the 13s.You say you had mods, I was pointing out a fact about a STOCK 5.0 so your retaliative feedback twards me is missing the point.I never said anything about a modded 5.0
As for flaming , I am not too much worried about that because I have a great deal of back-up on this board from respected individuals that refuse to be fed bull shit from anyone (not saying you) , but anyone.
Thanks to all of the informative replies from you guys ;)
Later

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Re: 5.0s are slow?

Originally posted by XLR8-R
My 90 5.0 went 13.90s with h-pipe, inch and a half shorty headers, pullies, and K&N. That was goodyear gt's and 3.08 gears, 99mph. I'm pretty sure mine wasn't the fastest either. I'd watch what you say about the 5.0 or someones gonna flame you...And as you can see, I too own a mod motored Mustang now.

Carter

MM&FF only got 13.80's out of the 93 Cobra. It used short belt, K&N, and drag radials. This was Evan Smith driving the car at Englishtown NJ. I ain't bashin the 5.0 either, but stock to stock the 4.6 wins. Once the modding starts it's all about who spends the money and wisely.

XLR8-R

Established Member
I realize that the 4.6 was dogged by all the 5.0 guys for years(specifically 96-98) so now the shoe is on the other foot? I don't own a 5.0 or 4.6, but to say one is superior to the other without qualifying it (as Great White correctly did) in my opinion would be obviously wrong. And Mikie you did say a stock 5.0 would only run low 15s to high 14s, mine went 14.40s(stock) and I have the timeslips to prove it. Also I noticed on your website you write that the 99 Mustangs were 300 to 400 pounds lighter than the previous body style, where did you get your info? I work at a Ford dealer and according to my Sourcebooks the base weight of a 1995 GT Mustang is 3280, and a 99 is 3273. I have seen several stock 99-01 GTs run 13.90s at my local track, which is faster than any stock 5.0s I have seen, although I think a 93 Cobra would be real close. Does that make the 4.6 a "superior engine", or just faster in stock form? I have nothing against 4.6s, and the point could certainly be argued that they are more technologically advanced than a 5.0. I just don't see the need to say one Ford motor is better than another, there are too many variables. I say build the one you like and can afford. If being faster in stock form is "superior", go buy an LS1.

Carter

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
OH GEEZ!!!!!!!

Are we going to start one of these stupid threads again?!?!? :bash: :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread