94-95/96-98 Cobra Performance Question and Feedback

bandit_48032

Established Member
I keep trying to search but for some reason I keep getting an error message, so here goes.

I have been driving a 2000 Trans Am for the past few years and haven't had any luck selling it as of lately. I want a Cobra more than anything in the world! haha, I just love them! COBRA, enough said!

I was planning on buying an 03-04 Cobra and now with the GT500's out I was thinking about saving up cash for a used one a few years down the road. Well, I just can't wait any longer! I want a Cobra and I think it's more practical for me at this point in my life to get an SN95 Cobra. I can always continue to save and buy a GT500 later on in life.

With all this in mind, what will it take to make a 94-95, and 96-98 Cobra out perform my 2000 Trans Am with SLP Catback and Ram Air. I'm selling my TA for sure, but I want a car that’s still gonna be peppy and a little competitive on the road. At least with those LS1 Stockers! Future plans would be shooting for mid/high 12's but just something in the mid 13's would be nice for now. I want to get the results N/A if possible, Nitrous and Superchargers that weren't factory installed scare the crap out of me! haha

Still being nervous about superchargers, I do here that Vortech makes a relatively cheap supercharger for the 94-95 Cobra's, anyone have experiance or feedback on that? Safe or not, at 6psi? Suporting mods needed?

I know a lot of the guys in here are gonna say go for a 96-98, but I'm gonna shop around and try and find the best deal I can. I just want a dang Cobra sitting in my garage! I know all of you can empathize with my situation!

misterb

Established Member
My 2000 Firebird (with the same mod's) ran 13.2-13.3 with me driving.

I don't think it would be that hard to get a 96-98 Cobra into the same range.

I would say- GEARS-A TIRE-Pullys-SCT TUNE-FULL EXHAUST-and maybe heads and cams. Bear in mind that it's 281ci -v- 346ci.. and the LS1's are fast. However.. was at the track today and saw some 05+ GT's run 12.6-12.9's and a friend ran a 13.3 in a WS6 Firebird. Also saw a Yellow Cobra kick azz..

cobraboy169

Speed. . . My Anti-Drug
Established Member
First and for most you must realize that the motors in the 94-95 are way different in the design then the 96-98. 96-98 motors are known Mod motor becuase they can be switched with parts from a 2v, 4v or a 5.4 F150 motor. That being said the 94-95 are also a 5.0L 302CID and the 96-98 are a 4.6L 281CID. The 96-98 in my opinion are easier to find parts for and have a better selection to choose from. Also with regard to nitrous if you have someone who is reputable who can install it then you can have it tuned to make sure you don't blow the intake through the hood. It is not full proof but it helps. I have a 98 Cobra with full bolt ons, plus suspenion, short runner intake, cams, and nitrous. I raced a buddy in his 02 SS LS1 and I was in my Cobra before the suspension, long tubes, and short runner intake and he took me by a half a car up to 100mph or so. Also I was not on nitrous. So for me to beat him or keep up with him it cost me the price of the car and about $1200 more in parts. At the track I ran a 12.4 on nitrous and a 13.2 before the suspension, LTs, and short runner intake. with the mods added on and more practice that I have done I'm shooting for high 12s all motor and possible high 11s or really low 12s on spray. Hope that gives a little help with what to do.

bandit_48032

Established Member
RippinSVT said:
4.30's, drag-radials, LT's, JLT intake

don't waste your money on stupid shit.

Haha, don't waste your money on stupid shit. I like that! Sounds good to me.

Will 4.30's be alright for a daily driver? I was nervous about running 4.10's!

Any special drag radial or choice? How about LT's?

Will gears, headers, intake, and tires really put me at low 13's possible high 12's in the 1/4 mile? Thats not as bad as I thought.

What would I have to do to even break 13's in a 94-95?

bandit_48032

Established Member
cobraboy169 said:
First and for most you must realize that the motors in the 94-95 are way different in the design then the 96-98. 96-98 motors are known Mod motor becuase they can be switched with parts from a 2v, 4v or a 5.4 F150 motor. That being said the 94-95 are also a 5.0L 302CID and the 96-98 are a 4.6L 281CID. The 96-98 in my opinion are easier to find parts for and have a better selection to choose from. Also with regard to nitrous if you have someone who is reputable who can install it then you can have it tuned to make sure you don't blow the intake through the hood. It is not full proof but it helps. I have a 98 Cobra with full bolt ons, plus suspenion, short runner intake, cams, and nitrous. I raced a buddy in his 02 SS LS1 and I was in my Cobra before the suspension, long tubes, and short runner intake and he took me by a half a car up to 100mph or so. Also I was not on nitrous. So for me to beat him or keep up with him it cost me the price of the car and about $1200 more in parts. At the track I ran a 12.4 on nitrous and a 13.2 before the suspension, LTs, and short runner intake. with the mods added on and more practice that I have done I'm shooting for high 12s all motor and possible high 11s or really low 12s on spray. Hope that gives a little help with what to do.

Thanks for the input. I thought parts for the 5.0 would be easier to find and cheaper just because of the whole fox body scene.

Are the 5.0's in the Fox and the 5.0's in the 94-95 Cobra that much different? Or is the 5.0 in the 94-95 Cobra's the exact same motor in the 93 Cobra?

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
bandit_48032 said:
Are the 5.0's in the Fox and the 5.0's in the 94-95 Cobra that much different? Or is the 5.0 in the 94-95 Cobra's the exact same motor in the 93 Cobra?
Shortblocks are the same. Heads are both GT-40s, not sure on the cam, the intake manifolds are nearly the same but the 94-95 has an elbow build in because of different throttle body placement.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
A H/C/I 5.0 will get you in the low 13's. Maybe in the hight 12's with some sticky tires.

The 5.0 in the 93 cobra and the 94-95 cobra are basically the same, except for a different intake manifold and throttle body setup. Also the location of the A/C and power steering are in different spots I believe.

The 5.0 Cobra heads had cast iron GT-40 while the regular GT's had E7's, which were proven to be crap.

The key to making any 5.0 fast is changing the restrictive heads and intake manifold.

Last edited:

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Midnight_Cobra said:
A H/C/I 5.0 will get you in the low 13's. Maybe in the hight 12's with some sticky tires.
I ran 12.90s at mid 107mph with Edel Heads, crane 2031, and edel peformer intake.

bandit_48032

Established Member
WhiteDevil said:
I ran 12.90s at mid 107mph with Edel Heads, crane 2031, and edel peformer intake.

Crane 2031 is a cam correct?

So on your heads, cam, and edelbrock intake you pulled 12.90's on your 5.0 GT? Thats awesome man, nice #'s! I'm gonna have to remember that!

I take it you also have headers, midpipe, and catback as well right?

How about gears?

bandit_48032

Established Member
WhiteDevil said:
Shortblocks are the same. Heads are both GT-40s, not sure on the cam, the intake manifolds are nearly the same but the 94-95 has an elbow build in because of different throttle body placement.

So basically the engines have very similar differences. I'm taking it that most parts out of the 5.0 Mustang Magazine, Jegs, and Summit, are for the most part interchangable between the Fox and the 94/95 5.0 engine then. I'm guessing that the 93, 94, and 95 Cobra all made the same power.

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
bandit_48032 said:
Crane 2031 is a cam correct?

So on your heads, cam, and edelbrock intake you pulled 12.90's on your 5.0 GT? Thats awesome man, nice #'s! I'm gonna have to remember that!

I take it you also have headers, midpipe, and catback as well right?

How about gears?
Yeah i had the H/C/I and the usual bolt ons CAI, Throttle body, Full exhaust and 3.73s. And yeah the Crane 2031 is the cam.

Midnight_Cobra said:
street tires or D/R's. Was that with a 5.0, or the 347?
It was on 275/40R17 Nitto DRs but i only got a 1.97 60ft on that run. That was with my 130k mile 5.0 before the 347. The car put down 298rwhp and 326rwtq. I would shoot myself if i ran that with the 347 i only have like 400miles ont he 347 so far, feels real strong.

bandit_48032

Established Member
WhiteDevil said:
Yeah i had the H/C/I and the usual bolt ons CAI, Throttle body, Full exhaust and 3.73s. And yeah the Crane 2031 is the cam.

It was on 275/40R17 Nitto DRs but i only got a 1.97 60ft on that run. That was with my 130k mile 5.0 before the 347. The car put down 298rwhp and 326rwtq. I would shoot myself if i ran that with the 347 i only have like 400miles ont he 347 so far, feels real strong.

so basically it was a built motor! haha, good stuff!

What do you think you're pushing now with the 347 Stroker?

Last edited:

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
bandit_48032 said:
so basically it was a built motor! haha, good stuff!

What do you think you're pushing now with the 347 Stroker?
I wouldnt call that 130 thousand mile engine built all that stuff bolted right on. Now my forged 347 i would consider a littler more built :-D Im hoping for 350rwhp or so with this set up its SUPER mild for a 347 using a lot of 302 parts.

bandit_48032

Established Member
na svt said:
How much are you lookng to spend?

Not to sure right now. I don't have a lot of time to go out of state to pick up a car which sucks right now. I have a job that'll can me if I try and take a day off before my probationary period is up. That, and it's already snowed once here. I'll probably keep saving and wait untilnext summer to buy my car. That way I'll have more to spend and I will have hopefully sold my Firebird Formula by then.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
bandit_48032 said:
Not to sure right now. I don't have a lot of time to go out of state to pick up a car which sucks right now. I have a job that'll can me if I try and take a day off before my probationary period is up. That, and it's already snowed once here. I'll probably keep saving and wait untilnext summer to buy my car. That way I'll have more to spend and I will have hopefully sold my Firebird Formula by then.

Don't be a pussy, buy it now!!! :D :D

J/K, waiting might be a wise choice, as you could pay more of the loan if you go that route, and mods will appear faster! :pepper:

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Midnight_Cobra said:
The key to making any 5.0 fast is changing the restrictive heads and intake manifold.

I agree, but the real key to making a 5.0 fast is properly matching the parts (as with any motor, but especially a 5.0). I know TONS of people with H/C/I 5.0's running mid 13's at crappy MPH's. Why? Because they find the best-PRICED heads, and match it with the best-PRICED intake, and add that crappy alphabet cam their buddy gave 'em for $50. The key to building any fast N/A motor is matching the heads to the displacement (getting the best mixture of intake-velocity and volume, in the 5.0's case, lean on the side of velocity due to low-displacement), then matching the intake to the heads, then matching the cam to the rest of the combo. Even matching the header's primary-diameter and design can be essential. I see often see guys with combos like AFR 165's, Track Heat intake, and a B-cam and 1 7/8" longtubes:shrug: ...then they wonder why they're running 13.9@100mph.

Bottom-line, if you're gonna buy a modded 94-95, find out what's done to it first and ask around about that combo. You can PM me with it if you want, I've got quite a bit of experience building Ford small-blocks, our last one made 950rwhp.:pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread