93 rx-7 vs. 03 stig cobra... vid.

smg944

Established Member
i also ran a 430whp gt with a paxton novi charger tonight. he dynoed on a dynomite dyno which read fairly low so in dynojet numbers he is in the 450whp range. only weight reduction he did was remove the rear seats and trunk acc. i had a pass with me this time he did not.

the vids didnt come out to great since my gf couldnt point the camera in the right direction. lol oh well she enjoys speeding so its a plus.

first vid we started side by side at around 70 and let off right around 140
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOvc5J-YthY"]YouTube - 407whp rx-7 vs. 430whp charged gt.[/ame]

sec. vid again we started fairly even this run was 60 to 140.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6FjrG7rIs"]YouTube - 407whp rx-7 vs. 430whp charged gt 2.[/ame]

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Good vids and those cars look great, but the sound of those motors makes me want to throw a baby in a blender.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
585 rwhp is Whipple territory so 585 rwhp with a ported Eaton, 2.76 upper, Tbody, exhaust seems almost impossible?? Does he have Meth and/or cams? What octane tune 100+?

Can you get ahold of the dyno sheet and post it? If you can't get a dyno then ask him for his pulley combo, boost, octane and timing. Has he ever ran atthe track? If so what was his 1/4 MPH? I am interesting in seeing this first hand.

Good kill - your car is strong. What have you done to your car?

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Rx-7s are beasts when ported/singled/tuned correctly. Ive had/have numerous friends with them and can say they are about one of the most expensive cars to own due maintenance and something always breaking.

smg944

Established Member
svtkel, i agree almost impossible that he has 585whp. he wont put the car on the dyno. i even offered to pay. his tuner told him it could blow or something. he has a stig 3, 2.76 upper, #2 lower, 120mm tb w plenum, no cats, boost a pump, cold air. tuned on 93 it runs 18psi of boost. timing he is not sure since his tuner did all that.

my rx-7 has a streetported motor, gt35r, full exhaust, stand alone, i am running 16 psi on 93 octane right now. once he puts on his procharger i will tune it for 24 psi on Q16. which will put me right around 500whp.

xyx, they are high maint. cars. i change my oil every 1-2k miles, i also run a full time full pressure guage in car and a wideband. the most important thing about the rx-7s is that they stay on the rich side. i built and tuned my car. my afrs are high 10's at peak tq. 5k rpms and i lean it out slowly to redline which it ends up at low 11's for afr's. i could make a decent amount more power leaning it out to 12 flat but on the rx-7s thats walking a very thin line.

smg944

Established Member
dam sorry to hear he had such troubles. who tuned his car? also how many times did he pop it?

The Sync

VTAK!
Established Member
Rx-7s are beasts when ported/singled/tuned correctly. Ive had/have numerous friends with them and can say they are about one of the most expensive cars to own due maintenance and something always breaking.

+1

One of the most unreliable motors ever made. But when they do work, they make great power with a turbo.

TrickStang37

Established Member
svtkel, i agree almost impossible that he has 585whp. he wont put the car on the dyno. i even offered to pay. his tuner told him it could blow or something. he has a stig 3, 2.76 upper, #2 lower, 120mm tb w plenum, no cats, boost a pump, cold air. tuned on 93 it runs 18psi of boost. timing he is not sure since his tuner did all that.

my rx-7 has a streetported motor, gt35r, full exhaust, stand alone, i am running 16 psi on 93 octane right now. once he puts on his procharger i will tune it for 24 psi on Q16. which will put me right around 500whp.

xyx, they are high maint. cars. i change my oil every 1-2k miles, i also run a full time full pressure guage in car and a wideband. the most important thing about the rx-7s is that they stay on the rich side. i built and tuned my car. my afrs are high 10's at peak tq. 5k rpms and i lean it out slowly to redline which it ends up at low 11's for afr's. i could make a decent amount more power leaning it out to 12 flat but on the rx-7s thats walking a very thin line.
he probably makes closer to 15-16 psi with a 2.76 and 2# lower. his gauge is probably off a bit.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
dam sorry to hear he had such troubles. who tuned his car? also how many times did he pop it?

Dun dun dun......NOBODY haha, he was the most hard headed guy ever. "oh man its running rich it'll be fine till I can get it to steve kahn"

yea...he never got it there:kaboom:

KILRSVT

Established Member
sweet RX-7 my buddy had one in school and did some work on it an ran a low 12.
Then he did a twin turbo kit and blew it up. Nice rides though and real fast.

CobraRyan

Banned
Those were some pretty high rolls. Looks like a 500rwhp eaton cobra. It would have been a better race from a low roll or dig.

smg944

Established Member
here is another run vs. a cammed ls1 with 375whp. this was a lower roll we started at 40-140 at the end. this run was at 14psi which is 380whp in my rx-7. also the camera guy in my car is the owner of the 03 cobra in the first vids. at the end of the race i wound up about 1 1/2-2 cars ahead.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=missrALx3Pw"]YouTube - 380whp rx-7 vs. cammed ls1 375whp[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread