93 replica wheels vs. OE wheels

stangbear427

Established Member
Cool, thanks. I just have no rust in the fender lips yet, and this is the first Fox I've ever owned that didn't. I'd like to do my best to keep it that way. I believe the whole car was sprayed sometime in the last 5-10 years, so it should be a tad softer than if it were original, but I don't want it flaking all the same. Maybe I won't have to roll them at all, I'm just putting the stock 245's on. We'll see. Supposed to get here tomorrow.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
FYI everyone-fitting 275 nitto drags on stock rims isn't an issue. Fitting same tire on the 8.5 repro is very tight because the offset is meant to work on a rearend 3/4" less wise per side. The lip of the rim is pretty much flush with lip of rear quarter. A tire with any amount of bulge is subject to rubbing unless fenders are rolled. And if your rearend is offcenter (1/2" variance either way is not uncommon) then you are screwed. Stangbear I hope it works for you, but I'm not holding my breath. I've got two repros right now waiting on my gt axle conversion even as we speak.

buddha93

Established Member
Having never owend a set of Nittos, from what I 've read their 275 is narrower than a BFG tire. Fitting a BFG on the stock wheel is a bit much, but I know we've all done it and I did have rubbing issues with them with the stock springs in place.

stangbear427

Established Member
The rear on my Cobra is dead nutz down the middle, somehow. Worst case scenario, I have the motivation I've lacked for the last year and a half to rip my GT apart and put the panhard in the Cobra. I'm not worried. Much.

Vib_93

Established Member
With all the flaking OEM Cobra wheels I have seen why don't they make a true repro wheel for the 93 Cobra? Seems like a lot of guys would buy up even if they were wider with the correct offset.

COBRAGUY95

Freshly Squeezed
Established Member
With all the flaking OEM Cobra wheels I have seen why don't they make a true repro wheel for the 93 Cobra? Seems like a lot of guys would buy up even if they were wider with the correct offset.

Probably because with only about 3000 out of the 4993 93 cobras left in the world they wouldn't stand to sell very many sets and thats only reason I can come up with.

stangbear427

Established Member
Indeed... it's not like there's any other applications for them out there. Unless they would be an upsize alternative for the Turbo Coupe crowd, like the Mavromont 17" pony wheels. I'm not sure if they're the right offset for them either, but even if they were it still wouldn't expand the market much.

Steve85TTopConv

Established Member
yeah, i called them and asked them, their reason was stated above plus, most guys wont need them for the front, so divide the number of sets by 2 and you dont have a production run worthy amount.

stangbear427

Established Member
All done, complete with more pics than you want to see as promised.

Before, with the stock 245/45's on the stock rims:

P1010755.jpg

P1010757.jpg

The stock tire inside the repro rim:

P1010758.jpg

Test fit pics:

P1010764.jpg

P1010765.jpg

P1010766.jpg

P1010767.jpg

P1010768.jpg

And after, with the stock 245/45's on the repros:

P1010778.jpg

P1010779.jpg

P1010780.jpg

IMO, a huge aesthetic improvement. They still don't come out quite flush with the fender lip, but it's about as close as the fronts are which is good enough for me. Leaves room for some wider tires too.

It's worth mentioning that my Cobra still has the stock suspension and stock size exhaust. If it were lowered at all, or had bigger pipes, I would definitely need a panhard. As it is, I don't see how anyone would fit 275's in here.

Bottom line is, there are no clearance issues whatsoever. I drove it home over some pretty hairy back roads with no rubbing or noises at all. Thanks to three days of rain I couldn't push it as hard as I'd have liked, but hard enough to be confident in the success of the project.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Whats interesting to me is that my car has a 98 cobra rearend and when I ran 04 cobra wheels they were flush with the fender like that. I guess they (the repros) have the same offset a the 9" 04 wheel. Is the rear track of the 93 the same as the 98?

stangbear427

Established Member
I believe so.

I also found that the backspacing really isn't that different, maybe an eighth of an inch. It's almost like they took an OEM Cobra wheel and just added an inch to the outside.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Your car looks tight! Thanks for the b4 and after shots. Heres my car with the 04 Cobras and with the current 98s:
cobra122oe.jpg

img0048ic1.jpg

Here with some 19x9" Zennettis. I hope I'm not hijacking: backspacing and offset with the 93 cobra and different wheels is very interesting to me.
dsc00338qa0.jpg

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
No, that looks tight! I can't wait to get my MM suspension in this car, but I'm dreading having to roll the fenders. I don't think I had the rear as low as yours is, maybe it won't be that big of a deal. The panhard should take care of most of it.

Users who are viewing this thread