93 mustang possible bad head gasket?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you keeping this stock? Or modding it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mainly keeping it stock. Except for catback exhaust and chrome pony wheels.
I would do a leak down test on every cylinder and takes notes on leakage for each cylinder. A leak down test will nearly always tell you if you have a problem with a cylinder (blown head gasket, damaged/bent valves, dropped valve seat, piston/ring damage, cracked block). I prefer a leak down test over compression testing, IMO it is a more reliable way to test a cylinder's ability to hold cylinder pressure.

Way back when, I worked for Teague Custom Marine, a top name in the performance marine industry. One of my responsibilities was to test/inspect damaged engines before tearing them down. I was instructed to leak down every engine before I started to tear it down for repair.
I may eventually. Really the only problem I seen was a bad water pump (which looks original) and radiator cap.

Otherwise I don't suspect any problems as of now. I may need to use some penetrating oil on the plugs. They might be original. I may do the test when replacing spark plugs.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
00eec87a6572aed35071bdc73b020e35.jpg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That great news, Brady, that it isn't a bad head gasket. Let us know how everything goes when you install the parts you bought. I know you replaced the radiator cap, but did you change the upper and lower hoses and t-stat?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That great news, Brady, that it isn't a bad head gasket. Let us know how everything goes when you install the parts you bought. I know you replaced the radiator cap, but did you change the upper and lower hoses and t-stat?
The hoses and t stat are getting replaced.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
You mention you are changing the cat back? Make sure you dont cut it to get it out.

Its also possible to rebuild the water pump, so you can keep the OEM housing and date coding.

Both of these points are if you care about originality as much as I do.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You mention you are changing the cat back? Make sure you dont cut it to get it out.

Its also possible to rebuild the water pump, so you can keep the OEM housing and date coding.

Both of these points are if you care about originality as much as I do.
The current catback isn't original unfortunately. I'll be keeping the old water pump. I plan on keeping all original parts that come off.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
Finding new OEM catbacks (uncut) is next to impossible. There was one on ebay a few months ago, guy wanted $2500 and likely got it. These cars have increased in value so much that people are willing to pay these prices. I remember back in the mid 90s when I hacksawed a perfectly good, low mileage catback on my 91 coupe and threw in the nearest dumpster so I could bolt on a flowmaster catback. If only we knew...

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Finding new OEM catbacks (uncut) is next to impossible. There was one on ebay a few months ago, guy wanted $2500 and likely got it. These cars have increased in value so much that people are willing to pay these prices. I remember back in the mid 90s when I hacksawed a perfectly good, low mileage catback on my 91 coupe and threw in the nearest dumpster so I could bolt on a flowmaster catback. If only we knew...
Yeah crazy. Funny thing is people did the same exact thing in the 60's and 70's and look where those cars are at now.

That's why I bought this 93 and will try to keep it as stock as possible. If I were to come across a stock catback exhaust system I'd probably try to buy it.

At least when I buy chrome ponies I can easily switch them back.

Users who are viewing this thread