'91 computer in '93 Cobra

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
my logic behind it- (however stupid it may be:) is to have a pro-m mass air (supercharged cali.) thats calibrated to the (42lb or whatever) injectors and the a9l. as opposed to the stock (x3z) which NEEDS to have a chip burnt with the larger than stock injectors. do you follow what im trying to say? opinions?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Why not get the same application for the X3Z?

When ordering a pro-m, can't get you specify that you have a 93 Cobra with yadda, yadda, etc. and get the MAF you want?

02_Lightning

Established Member
I have had my A9L for quite a few years now. I had it re-burned for all modifications on the car at that time, and saw a decrease of .4 on my ET. Not bad since I had the computer already, and cost me $265 for the tune on a laptop at Norwalk raceway.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
Originally posted by 99Lightning
I have had my A9L for quite a few years now. I had it re-burned for all modifications on the car at that time, and saw a decrease of .4 on my ET. Not bad since I had the computer already, and cost me $265 for the tune on a laptop at Norwalk raceway.

did you mean increase in .4:??:

Why not get the same application for the X3Z?

because ill still need to get a chip to eliminate its timing, fuel issues. now a a9l would hold me over until i can afford custom tuning (ie chip, aftermarket ecu) my point is-this is only a hold me over until i do get a chip-which i know would be the otpimal thing to do.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by 93cobra#3326

because ill still need to get a chip to eliminate its timing, fuel issues. now a a9l would hold me over until i can afford custom tuning (ie chip, aftermarket ecu) my point is-this is only a hold me over until i do get a chip-which i know would be the otpimal thing to do.

:dw:
Unless I am incorrect there is no timing and fuel curve difference in the X3Z and A9L with the exception on the limiter that comes on at 93 mph

Maybe Richard can confirm this....

-Lee

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
MY plans are to first get a ignition. then buy a pro-m 80mm, 42# injectors and fuel pump(s) (i also plan to get a knock sensor setup, 130a alternator,electric fan)

Bryan: I think you are trying to make this harder on yourself than it should be. Your list above is very good (except I'm not sure if the knock sensor idea is worth the headache/expense) but why don't you solve the most important issue first--the tune. You're supercharged and to me, the number 1 priority would be to get a nice safe tune before some of the other mods. Put the money for the knock sensor, alternator, and fan toward the chip/tune and then add those items later. I'm not convinced just swapping the computers will have that great of a benefit. I know money is always an issue, but I think this is one time when it should be a priority--try pricing a built shortblock after burning pistons. Knowing you have a SAFE tune to keep your motor happy for many miles is nice when your right foot is planted. :beer:
Good luck man, J
:coolman:

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
Originally posted by LEE93COBRA
:dw:
Unless I am incorrect there is no timing and fuel curve difference in the X3Z and A9L with the exception on the limiter that comes on at 93 mph

Maybe Richard can confirm this....

-Lee

hey lee
have you ever swapped in a a9l from the x3z to see for your self?

(except I'm not sure if the knock sensor idea is worth the headache/expense)

granted i have no personal experience with aftermarket knock sensors setups but if they do work then people are missing something really great. why do most manufactures nowadays have knock sensors? IMHO. because they tell you what the engine is doing instead of guessing. you'd be surprise how many "tuners" dont know jack and just make guestimates on your combos needs. why not use technology when you can?

but why don't you solve the most important issue first--the tune. You're supercharged and to me, the number 1 priority would be to get a nice safe tune before some of the other mods.
right so your saying get a tune now then buy the mass air, larger inj's. fuel pump, and what ever else and get another tune mean while this is gonna cost me $150 per hour. hmm i think id rather just do it all at once thanks :-D

Knowing you have a SAFE tune to keep your motor happy
thats why i have a wideband. can you tell im a do it yourselfer kinda guy?:p i hate other people working on my car!
hey to each his own right :beer:
later,
bryan

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
:lol: hehe sorry if i came off like a ass, i had few too many of these :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: before writing that.
later guys, thanks for your input!
bryan

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
right so your saying get a tune now then buy the mass air, larger inj's. fuel pump, and what ever else and get another tune mean while this is gonna cost me $150 per hour. hmm i think id rather just do it all at once thanks

No, no, no. Maybe my post mislead you, but what I meant was that you should do all that is necessary to get the car well tuned BEFORE the non-engine mods. Of course you need the injectors, pump and mass-air first, but I'm suggesting do those AND the chip/dyno tune at the same time, THEN add the other things you listed (fan, alternator, etc.).

thats why i have a wideband

You have a wide-band o2? I guess I'm confused now, but if you have a wide-band, I think the knock-sensor would just be a wasted expense. If your wide-band keeps the A/F where you need it accurately, why worry about the knock sensor?

-J

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
Originally posted by 99Lightning
No, I had a decrease (drop) in ET (time) from 13.3 TO 12.90.
riiiiiight ok cool, i took it the wrong way. good deal man:thumbsup:

You have a wide-band o2? I guess I'm confused now, but if you have a wide-band, I think the knock-sensor would just be a wasted expense. If your wide-band keeps the A/F where you need it accurately, why worry about the knock sensor?

yea i have the innovate lm-1 wide band.timing and fuel are 2 different things. the wideband is only going to pick up a missfire(timing induced) from detontaion,pre-ignition,spark knock..what ever you wanna call it (although they are different) by that time the damage is done. i dont know for sure because i havent ever played with a aftermarket knock sensor so im speculateing. i posted on corral about how useful they really are with very little response. IF the msd knock sensor works like they say it does then one could really benifit from it, especially a supercharged car. once dialed in i could see whats going on right then . go to the track put some race gas bump the timing up safely and closer to the limit WITHOUT having to try to listen for knock with my ear while my exhaust is screaming. if a "tuner" isnt using a knock sensor then he's just guessing like you and i do. of course his guess might be a little more eduacated than ours because thats what he does but still, ya know.
besides its only like $142 bucks for the msd knock sensor. i cant remember the name but theres a company that makes a stand alone knock sensor system that can actually retard timing on a cylinder to cylinder basis. meaning individual ignition timing for each cylinder! that would be the poop:rockon:

No, no, no. Maybe my post mislead you,
it did but that was my fault :-D :beer:
later,
bryan

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Lee,
Yes, timing and fuel curves are different between the X3Z and A9L. Timing is softer and fuel is richer. Open up the each OEM binary and compare the two. I cheated and copied the fuel tables over from the A9L binary to my tune, as well as the timing tables. I know the a/f should still be safe, even though I don't have a wideband. Timing is slightly softer as well with a difference of a degree or two here are there - nothing radical, though.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
just for sh*ts and giggles im gonna wideband both the a9l and x3z in N.A. form to see if the wide band picks up a difference. ive already got the x3z done but wont be able to do the a9l until this weekend probably. ill post if there anything interesting to say.
bryan

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Be sure to disconnect the battery before checking each one, otherwise the KAM will affect it some. Of course, you'll be disconnecting the battery when swapping EEC's anyway, right?
:)

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by 93Cobra2771
Be sure to disconnect the battery before checking each one, otherwise the KAM will affect it some. Of course, you'll be disconnecting the battery when swapping EEC's anyway, right?

I never did when I ran the A9L for awhile

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Lee,
No big deal on clearing the KAM, it will just take longer to correct itself. And if you didn't disconnect the battery before swapping computers, shame shame we know your name...
:D

If you ever remove/install the tweecer, it's a good idea to disconnect the battery as well.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by 93Cobra2771

If you ever remove/install the tweecer, it's a good idea to disconnect the battery as well.

I haven't read that anywhere.

If you ever have a car tuned you will notice it is not done when the chip is installed or removed either. :beer:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Man, that makes me very nervous. Although the EEC doesn't have any direct power when the key is off, it still has a minor amount of voltage going to it from the KAM. And electronics 101 tells me that anytime you are working with an electrical device, it is a good idea to disconnect all power before adding/removing hardware. I look at it the same way as adding a board to your desktop PC - sure, you can do it with the power just turned off, but is it that much more difficult to go ahead and unplug it just in case?

Users who are viewing this thread