'91 computer in '93 Cobra

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
My friend just bought my dad's '93 Cobra and wants to get a mass-air meter and have it tuned. Mods include: shorty headers, O/R H-pipe, Mac CB, no smog, 70mm TB, Moroso CAI, 3.73s.
I have an A9L computer with Autologic chip from my '91 LX with similar mods and want to know what is necessary to put the '91 computer in the Cobra. I have the entire harness from the car also.
Is this worth it, or should he just have a custom chip burned for the '93 processor?
Thanks for any help guys. -James
ps--I've heard the '93 Cobra computer wasn't great. Anyone want to refresh me as to why?

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Originally posted by biminiLX
I've heard the '93 Cobra computer wasn't great. Anyone want to refresh me as to why?
You are correct. The X3Z came with a limiter programmed in that changed the fuel and timing curves between 90-95 mph. The changes keep the car from pulling as hard as it does under this speed. A common mod for 93 Cobra owners is to replace the stock MAF with an aftermarket MAF (such as Pro-M or C&L) calibrated for 24lb injectors and to replace the X3Z with a A9L, or an aftermarket computer.

edit: delete bad link

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I would suggest getting the ProM 80 for the stock X3Z (93 cobra) calibration. There are a lot of technical reasons for it which I won't go into, but I can guarantee he will have better drivability.

At one time, it was a common mod to change the computer to an A9L family, but now it is most common to get a custom chip burnt for it. Truth be told, as mild a combo as the car has, I really doubt he would pick up any horsepower from the slightly different timing/fuel tables. The benefits in drivability will far outweigh any horsepower gains.

Believe it or not, he could actually take your autologic chip and have it reburnt to fit his combo. So, not only could he pick up horsepower, he could remove the speed limiter Jim spoke of, and run any part of the A9L tune he wanted, he just has to specify it to his burner.

I've got a 4 way autologic chip burnt for an X3Z, tell him to make me an offer. He could use it as is on his car for now, and get it reburn for later. It a "drivability mode", "max power" mode, valet mode, theft mode. Let me know if he is interested.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The benefits in drivability will far outweigh any horsepower gains.
This is exactly the reason he wants to do this--a few hp would be nice, but this is a driver so he's looking to clean up the driveability.

Believe it or not, he could actually take your autologic chip and have it reburnt to fit his combo. So, not only could he pick up horsepower, he could remove the speed limiter Jim spoke of, and run any part of the A9L tune he wanted, he just has to specify it to his burner.
Are you saying the chip I have can be reburned then plugged into his processor? If so, I think this is the way to go as a retune is about $100 I believe.

I've got a 4 way autologic chip burnt for an X3Z, tell him to make me an offer.
Damn Richard, I'm trying to get rid of mine. j/k Thanks for the offer--probably a better bet for him. Any idea what they're worth? I have the entire A9L computer and harness w/ the Autologic (went to Accell DFI) and have no idea what I should ask for it. Thanks for the replies guys. -James

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The X3Z came with a limiter programmed in that changed the fuel and timing curves between 90-95 mph.
I also thought I remember something about the stock computer (X3Z) also pulling timing under hard shifts to save the trans/clutch. Is this true or is that the '94-95s? -J

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Going price on chips is 75-125, according to what they are. Mine has the ability to hold 4 tunes, so it goes for around $100 (I paid 320 for it and a custom tune).

Computers can vary wildly, from 25-100 bux according to how bad someone wants it. Have no idea on the harness, but I would imagine 50-100 bux. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

Shift retard function was 94-95 models, not 93.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll let him know about your chip--pretty sure he'll want it as he would prefer to keep the original computer. Please PM me with info. on it (tuner, mods in tune, anything else etc.). -J

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
hey richard,
um your one of the few people on here that i actually believe what they say, but um i experienced some things with my car that seem to differ from what you said. COULD you elaberate about the x3z. i was looking for a a9l for my cobra because back before i put the supercharger on it i decided to swap computers between my 92 gt (a9l) and the cobra. the car was bone stock except for 3.55 gears, fms shortys,mac h-pipe,dynomax ultra flows, k&n stock replacement, and thats it! this is what i noticed: no more hesitation right after the shift (like biminilx described) and the car generally overall seem to have better throttle response. the gt on the other hand ran like dogshit! bucked, sputtered, wouldnt idle etc. now i understand because of all that i cant really justify this but it did have a hesitation between shifts-i know, take that as a grain of salt. anyways, i figured even though the gt has 24# inj. and prom 75mm calibrated to the 24ers that there was something in the cobras ecu causing this.
i dunno, this is just what i noticed. btw-i ran it like this for a week to see all driving cycles.
i eventually plan on doing some track testing on this in the future.
later guys,
bryan
ps.im not saying anyones right or wrong just trying to get to the bottom of this. :)

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Bryan: The Cobra has 24# injectors but the computer is calibrated internally, so you need a mass air meter cal'd for 19#s for it to run right.

Lee

Established Member
I kept mine stock but put a chip on it to remove the "limiting features" with the stock ECU. Made a world of difference and I'm very pleased with the results.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
thanks biminilx
i figured it was a mass air-injectors-ecu thing just didnt know where the conflict was. cool
-so aside from the chip really beening the right "fix" is there any other draw backs to using the a9l. like i said i didnt notice any driveability issues. what kinds did you guys notice-that your speaking of?
-i just dont like the idea of having to rely on a chip, cause once you change or add to your combo its off again. and since i cant afford a aftermarket ecu im kinda stuck ya know...(especially because of the supercharger)

biminilx im gonna pm you. you know why:-D
bryan

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
i was looking for a a9l for my cobra because back before i put the supercharger on it i decided to swap computers between my 92 gt (a9l) and the cobra. the car was bone stock except for 3.55 gears, fms shortys,mac h-pipe,dynomax ultra flows, k&n stock replacement, and thats it!
By doing that without changing to a properly calibrated mass air meter, you should have caused a rich condition, barring any vacuum leaks.

this is what i noticed: no more hesitation right after the shift (like biminilx described) and the car generally overall seem to have better throttle response.
The "shift hesitation" isn't due to a built in shift retard or anything like that. It is something completely different and has to do with the time delay the computer has shifting between Closed Loop (part throttle) and Open Loop (WOT). If you powershift the car (keep the throttle floored between shifts), it will bypass the hesitation after the shift. The overall throttle response is also a different function that acts basically like a "accererator pump shot" in carbauraters. The Cobra shoots too much fuel in, so I dropped my setting back to the stock A9L setting.

the gt on the other hand ran like dogshit! bucked, sputtered, wouldnt idle etc.
I'm not surprised, as it would have been running lean since it was basically double calibrated - EEC thought 24#, and the MAF was calibrated for 24#, so it was running lean.

biminiLX - PM sent

Untamed

Established Member
I have a 94 cobra can i sweatch the mass air meter with out having problems? At what point will the computer affect my
cars performance can I change it with one from an older stang
like an 89 A9L will that be a good thing to do? sorry for all the questions

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
As long as you get a mass air calibrated for a 94 Cobra with factory 24# injectors, you will be OK. I recommend ProM. Even though they are more expensive, they meter their air a better way than C&L does.

I do not recommend swapping to an A9L. Get a chip burnt instead, much less hassle, and less likely for bad connections in the A9L swap harness. At first, swapping to an A9L was the hot ticket with 94-95 cars, simply because people didn't understand the programming on the sn95 cars. But now, the programming/tuning is pretty well known, and there are plenty of people running pretty radical combos with their stock chipped computer.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
At first, swapping to an A9L was the hot ticket with 94-95 cars, simply because people didn't understand the programming on the sn95 cars. But now, the programming/tuning is pretty well known, and there are plenty of people running pretty radical combos with their stock chipped computer.

I agree with you to a point, but I've heard different opinions from some well-known tuners. It seems that for maxed '94-95s a swap or aftermarket engine management is much less headache. It depends on what you want out of the car and who will be doing the tuning. CALL and TALK with whoever you plan on tuning your car. Good luck, James

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by biminiLX
I agree with you to a point, but I've heard different opinions from some well-known tuners. It seems that for maxed '94-95s a swap or aftermarket engine management is much less headache. It depends on what you want out of the car and who will be doing the tuning. CALL and TALK with whoever you plan on tuning your car. Good luck, James

It maybe much less headache (which I doubt) but it is cost as much or more to swap out for the A9L for the sn95 processor. That PIH is expensive! (or at least used to be pricey)

Since Richard and I have played around with some tuning (i.e Tweecer) I don't see where it would be a big deal on chipping one.

-Lee

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
You are correct, James - I should have made my blanket statement about "it's all in the tuner". That applies across the board to all chip tuners. It doesn't really matter what brand of chip they are running (they can all pretty much do the same things), it's how well the tuner knows the software and what needs to be done to the car.

Some tuners avoid 94-95 cars like the plague, and some love to go in there and get it running perfect. Both methods will work, albeit the swap method will cost more in the long run, plus run the risk of bad connections in the swap harness.

Untamed

Established Member
hey thanks alot.
will the 80 pro-m work with my stock engine and injectors.
the most ill go with my engine is some good heads and cam
what u think:)

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
sorry ive been really busy and havent had time to even check the forums.
anyways, ok heres MY bottom line and MY combo's scenario. i have a relatively stock cobra with x3z computer and a supercharger. MY plans are to first get a ignition. then buy a pro-m 80mm, 42# injectors and fuel pump(s) (i also plan to get a knock sensor setup, 130a alternator,electric fan) now since i have other things and bills that require my money(ie. girlfriend) i wont be able to afford $150/hour for a chip burn + the cost of the chip itself. ( the only way id actually do a chip) and certainly cant afford a tweecer or equivelant on top of all that. so...i thought a a9l which seemed to work fine last time i tried it would be the cheapest, most hassle free way to go, at least temporarily.(temp=6-12months. especially since i knew i couldnt use the stock x3z com. -(self proven from my gt to cobra swap experince)
now if someone has a better/cheaper idea for my app. please let me know:rockon:
i just dont know any other way...right now:shrug:
thanks guys and sorry so long
bryan

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
What gains are you going to get going to a9l?

I mean whether you run a A9L or X3Z you are still going to need some type of EEC tuning

Users who are viewing this thread