90mm and 100mm idlers??

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I have a 2004 Cobra with a 2.3L Whipple and a 3.00" pulley. ALL other pullies are stock. The car has a Goodyear Gatorback 4080740 eight rib belt. I would like to buy an idler to get more belt wrap. Which one should I buy? 90mm or 100mm? Can I use either of these with the belt that I have? If not, what belt size will I need? BTW...I like lethal performances site and I like the Billet Flow brands if that counts.

Thanks guys. I just got this car (first Termi) and it won't be driven til spring. I'm trying to get a list of needed parts. :rockon:

TORQJNKY

My set up is Whipple with a 3.0 Upper, (3) 100mm idlers and (1) 92mm idler. The 92mm idler is in the spot near the belt tensioner with one of the 100mm pulleys on the snub idlers. Lethal's Billetflow kit is great. I use a Gates belt K080765. My recommendation is to buy a couple of belts, find the one that fits right and return the one that doesn't. Hope this helps.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
My set up is Whipple with a 3.0 Upper, (3) 100mm idlers and (1) 92mm idler. The 92mm idler is in the spot near the belt tensioner with one of the 100mm pulleys on the snub idlers. Lethal's Billetflow kit is great. I use a Gates belt K080765. My recommendation is to buy a couple of belts, find the one that fits right and return the one that doesn't. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm gonna spend the 250 on the whole kit. I just want to get that one idler that everybody seems to have next to the blower. Just wondering if I can use my current belt with just the addition of one pulley. I would think I could because doesn't that just push down on the belt giving it more wrap?

Motor pic as it is now.
DSC05744.jpg

TORQJNKY

It does push the belt in more but if you don't have enough room on your tentioner to compensate for that you will still need a longer belt. Does your car have a cog belt drive system? It looks like your belt is a cog belt in the pic of your engine.

Check out CobraBob's belt selection guide. It might help out a little.
Belt Selection Guide.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for posting the link to my Belt Selection Guide. I do see those cogs on his belt as well. Almost looks like the RPM Outlet cog kit although the upper pulley looks slightly different.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
They're not cogs, it's a Goodyear Gatorback belt, so you know how they have those aggressive ribs...

I guess I'll have to buy a couple belts as stated. Does Murrays/Autozone carry those belts. I had a nother member tell me his set up his a 3.00" Whipple pulley, the 4 peice idler kit with the 100mm idler next to the blower and he is using a 76" belt. I guess I'll just have to do a trial and error method. You want it pretty tight right??

TORQJNKY

Napa Autoparts sells the Gates Belts. With a Whipple, you should notch your tensioner tab so you can get a little smaller belt on. You don't have to but it will give you about a 1/2" more play so you can get a smaller belt on for a little bit tighter wrap. Without the notched tension, your belt indicator should rest somewhere in the middle to upper 3/4's of the indicator section.

TORQJNKY

Here you go. My pulley bridge is off my car right now so it made it easy. You can cut the whole tensioner stop off or just notch it back about halfway. I cut mine all the way off with a dremel cutting wheel. Some people just knock it off with a screw driver and hammer :dw:.

NewMicrosoftPowerPointPresentation.gif

Users who are viewing this thread