9 month old E85

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I had about 1.5 gallons in a 5gal container inside my non-climate controlled garage since April 17th. We see anywhere from 100+ deg in summer with massive humidity...to mid 30s in winter. It tested 85% on 4-17....I decided to finally retest today.

IMG_1242.JPG

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
So still 85 percent

Yes, still 85%. No deterioration in ethanol % at all. I was a bit surprised, I figured I was going to have to throw it out. My original intention was to leave it for 1 year as a test....but got bored today an did the retest. When it came out 85% once again...I just went ahead and poured it in the tank of the car.

Myfast70

Established Member
I'm sure the octane of the gas portion has been reduced but not sure that it will make a difference. I've done that same test too and had virtually the same results.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
just more reason i am a non-tester of e85.

people think it does stuff it doesnt. Ya if you leave it out in the open air it'll lose some, but so does every fuel. In a vehicles tank in a garage, the chances of it going bad after a couple or several months is slim to none.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Question for the OP. Can this test really show if any moisture was absorbed into the E85? It seems any moisture would be absorbed into the alcohol and once the gasoline was separated during the test any moisture would still be in the alcohol. You would still have 15% gasoline and 85% of something, just maybe not the 85% you had before.
I really don't know the answer, but if you put it in the tank and it works then no harm done.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
You shouldn't get any real degradation of E85. Only real issue is water getting pulled in if it is a vented / open container (like a gas tank with an iffy cap).

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Question for the OP. Can this test really show if any moisture was absorbed into the E85? It seems any moisture would be absorbed into the alcohol and once the gasoline was separated during the test any moisture would still be in the alcohol. You would still have 15% gasoline and 85% of something, just maybe not the 85% you had before.
I really don't know the answer, but if you put it in the tank and it works then no harm done.

Hmmm, not sure. I should try another test, taking a fresh 1.5 gallons that tests .85 and introduce a cup of water to the container, turn it over a few times and then retest. Or....maybe just use fresh .85 and deliberately overfill past the water line.....then fill the ethanol to the appropriate mark. I just figured the test result would separate at a different mark if the water content had changed, no way it would still be .85

I've run the car 3 separate times now and it runs perfect. Idle to wot. I've burned about a 1/3 of a tank.

You shouldn't get any real degradation of E85. Only real issue is water getting pulled in if it is a vented / open container (like a gas tank with an iffy cap).

The containers I used sealed incredibly well. They're used in industrial manufacturing. This isn't a great pic, but here they are

IMG_0868.JPG

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
God bless I can't wait to get on E-85 that damn station Jeff goes to is only 2 miles away!
Then il convince Kevin with brisket and cash to stay the night here in Corpus with us lol!

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Great results Jeff! Thanks for sharing! :beer:

No problem, Kevin. We all owe you a big thanks for making the leap of faith to ethanol in '09, even with all the nay sayers. Look how many have now followed :beer:

God bless I can't wait to get on E-85 that damn station Jeff goes to is only 2 miles away!
Then il convince Kevin with brisket and cash to stay the night here in Corpus with us lol!

I'm always ready for BBQ and beer, Jesse! I've seen those briskets you post in pics n vids... :-D

Users who are viewing this thread