9 inch swap on my 67

chinchilla

Established Member
Upgrading my light duty 9 inch to a heavy duty currie unit.
Going from this
imag0299j.jpg

old worn out 28 splines, single trac, 3.25 gear, with cracked carrier and trashed bearings

to a brand new currie housing, 31 splines, full spool, 3.90 gears
imag0300w.jpg

imag0302l.jpg

and one of the car
imag0245z.jpg

all parts are here except the spool which should arrive wednesday or thursday I'll update with some pics of putting the new rear together and of it in the car when its finished.

Last edited:

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
beautiful 67, I have a 9" with 3.90's in mine. I wish i woudl of went with 3.55, cause with the 4 speed it tacks very high. Also post some more car pics

Last edited:

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
Oh the T-5 and the 3.90 would be great.. Our cars are very similar, im running a 351w as well, and it looked exactly like yours untill i got it painted white with blue stripes. Does the T-5 bolt right up?

chinchilla

Established Member

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Nice! Currie does some great work.

I just bought a '70 Mach 1. It's a 351C, Top Loader 4 speed, 3.25 geared 9". I'm planning a 5 speed swap on it soon, as well as some other great mods.

k2gy7l.jpg

chinchilla

Established Member
sweet, if you do a 5 speed, gears will be your next thing if you don't drive it on the interstate 5th is a big drop down from 4th on the t-5

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Yep, already planning some 3.90 gears after the swap. :beer:

I swapped out a Top Loader, in my old '65 Stang, for a 5 speed a few years ago. I swore it was a different car! 4 speeds are cool, but 5 speeds make the cars so much more drivable on the highway. And, first gear is SO much deeper on the 5 speed. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Why did you go with a spool if you drive the car on the street?? I would of opted for a detroit locker diff. vs a spool. At least you would have different tire speeds going around turns. Alot safer IMO and more practical than the spool!

chinchilla

Established Member
I wanted to try something a bit different, the car only gets driven once a week or so and the more I work on it the more it will be a race car than a street car, so some what planning for the future.

chinchilla

Established Member
called up and changed my exchange from the spool to a currie limited slip, also ordered the front case. Parts should all arrive by Friday and I can put it together and get my car running again this weekend

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
called up and changed my exchange from the spool to a currie limited slip, also ordered the front case. Parts should all arrive by Friday and I can put it together and get my car running again this weekend

Glad to see you changed your mind on the spool for the street. Did you order a traction lock differential along with a nodular iron or an aluminum 3rd member?

chinchilla

Established Member
got an aluminum 3rd member, both came in yesterday, i went to put the 3rd member together this morning and... they sent me a 28 spline posi... called and the 31 spline shipped this morning. more waiting!

chinchilla

Established Member
the correct limited slip should arrive today, hopefully I'll have this thing back together this weekend with more pics

chinchilla

Established Member
got some work done over the weekend, painted the housing, finished the third member and put the 3rd member in the housing. Also got the housing in the car and went to put the axles in but ran into a problem. The housing ends are a different size that the originals and the axle bearings don't fit through the brakes. Got some new disc brakes on the way for the rear.

imag0312f.jpg

imag0313r.jpg

paint
imag0314l.jpg

imag0315i.jpg

imag0318h.jpg

axle fitment problems, hard to tell in the pics
imag0324g.jpg

imag0326s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread