9 Firefighters killed in SC

scancion

Established Member
Some of you may have already heard that 9 firefighters were killed in SC last night while battleing a furniture store fire. I have been an EMT for 2 years now, and although I am not a fire fighter or even work in SC I still would like to send my deepest sympathy to the families and crews that lost these 9 brave men. We in EMS are one big family and I hated hearing this tragic news when I got off work this morning. God Bless there souls.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/charleston-fire/20070619012109990001

chrisheltra

Established Member
Yeah I live in the area its very sad what happened. My prayers go out to the family. Thank god someone is willing to risk there live for the well being of others.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I was actually having dinner at Nakato's across the street when this happened. I can't even describe how large the billow of smoke coming from this fire was. My prayers go out to their family's, RIP.

Last edited:

vulture

Established Member
I dont understand what is to gain by entering a building with such an intense fire load " fuel " . Im also in the service as a fireman , usually when there is no life inside , we just set up the large ground monitors and protect the slab the building was built on . All of our prayers are with those men and their families .

Raupleminze454

TORQUE INC.
Established Member
Being in that same profession, its like getting a 2X4 in the stomach when you hear something like this happening. My prayers go out to them and their loved ones. RIP

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of each.
RIP.

vulture said:
I dont understand what is to gain by entering a building with such an intense fire load " fuel " . Im also in the service as a fireman , usually when there is no life inside , we just set up the large ground monitors and protect the slab the building was built on . All of our prayers are with those men and their families .

The article says the broke through a wall to rescue 2 employees and a total of 4 were rescued so there were people inside. It all happend too fast for most to get out I guess.

boosted306

Established Member
My prayers go out to the families of the lost. May God give them some peace. As a firefighter myself this reminds me and should all others of the dangers that we face day to day. To the others here on SVTP that risk their lives with the same duty be reminded of the importance of training and knowledge to help prevent these occurrences. God bless.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
To the fire fighters who lost their lives, and to the fire fighters to still fight...

"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon the earth, how ought all the gods to honor those people who make it their business to put it out?"

firefighterangel.gif

May they all rest in peace and may God welcome them with open arms. They are the ulimate hero that made the ultimate sacrifice to save those they have never seen!

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
vulture said:
I was thinking the same thing, where there people still inside they said they got one out fast but the other I dont know about just doesnt make sense to have all those firefighter inside with everyone already out. to the fallen RIP and thier family and friends prayers.

prochargedcobra

BADENUF
Established Member
vulture said:

I live within several miles of the sofa superstore in which this took place. There is also a gas station right next door. Local fire officials said that if the fire were to spread to the gas station that a vicinty of several miles would have gone up in flames. The importance of controlling this fire was extremely important. They lost their lives to save many. It is sad but honestly well worth it. Nothing but respect goes out to all of the brave men. This is the highest fatality of firemen since 9/11. And probably the highest ever around here in this decade. They said that 1 of the men was a guy that was just out of graduation and on his first assignment which took his life. Very sad story.:(

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
One of the Firemen workout at my healthclub, he said the reason the men went in the building is they had reports that there were still two employees in there. Turns out they had actually escaped out the back and the men where on their way out trying to navigate through the furniture and ruble when the roof collapsed.

vulture

Established Member
prochargedcobra said:
I live within several miles of the sofa superstore in which this took place. There is also a gas station right next door. Local fire officials said that if the fire were to spread to the gas station that a vicinty of several miles would have gone up in flames. The importance of controlling this fire was extremely important. They lost their lives to save many. It is sad but honestly well worth it. Nothing but respect goes out to all of the brave men. This is the highest fatality of firemen since 9/11. And probably the highest ever around here in this decade. They said that 1 of the men was a guy that was just out of graduation and on his first assignment which took his life. Very sad story.:(

Im not saying let the fire burn anything it wants . i was just comenting on keeping it in check till you eventually put it out . If a fire gets away from you on the inside there really isnt another way to put it out . But im glad they managed to save those people . To many of us die each year responding to cats in trees and people on cell phones driving into us and our responding vehicles .

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
:( such a terrible thing to happen to anyone.

RIP and my prayers out to the familes

gotwood

Established Member
prochargedcobra said:

I believe Mayor Riley said that we have not lost any firefighters in 38 years until yesterday. This is so sad to hear, and my heart and prayers go to their families. R.I.P.

blowncoupe89

Established Member
My dept. just put our flags at half mast and stood in front of there trucks with the lights on for a moment of silence. My prayers go out to the families.

weswtbcobra

Established Member
Glad to see this has gotten the national attention it deserves-
those guys died heroes and i have nothing but the upmost respect for all of our service men and women, we couldn't do without them....

prayers to all the families.....

by the way- there is a fund set up for the families, everyone should give what they can spare, even if it's only a dollar.....

Users who are viewing this thread