9,600 Miles and My First Tow

BLUBYU2

Established Member
As I was heading home last night I start to smell coolant and think that its either the car in front of me or my cap leaking again. Then the car starts to hesitate and I see the temp gauge start to rise. I rip the car over to the side of the road and pop the hood. What do you the coolant take is bubbling all over the place. I call the dealer and have them two it which took two hours. All for a stuck thermastat. I am glad I did notice this before the car overheated. :bash:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We don't hear of many stock thermostats thankfully. Happy ending no doubt to what could have been a more severe issue. Happy motoring!

Speaking of thermostats, I read or heard recently that some company is making a thermostat that when it fails it is locked in the open position to keep the fluid circulating. Sounds like a good idea as long as you know it failed so that it won't run forever in the open position.

Venomous27

Inked Up
Established Member
Speaking of thermostats, I read or heard recently that some company is making a thermostat that when it fails it is locked in the open position to keep the fluid circulating. Sounds like a good idea as long as you know it failed so that it won't run forever in the open position. [/B][/QUOTE]

sounds like a good investment....

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Why do t-stats always seem to fail closed ? :shrug: In my Lightning, the t-stat wasn't opening more than 25%. Stop 'n go driving was ok, but the engine started to overheat once the truck was moving.

Glad your issue wasn't worse, as you know, it could have easily been catastrophic.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Originally posted by BLUBYU2
As I was heading home last night I start to smell coolant and think that its either the car in front of me or my cap leaking again. Then the car starts to hesitate and I see the temp gauge start to rise. I rip the car over to the side of the road and pop the hood. What do you the coolant take is bubbling all over the place. I call the dealer and have them two it which took two hours. All for a stuck thermastat. I am glad I did notice this before the car overheated. :bash:

I got your beat ... 1800 miles and my first tow for a leaking break booster ..

Sorry to hear about your issues .. keep us posted!!

Crowley

BLUBYU2

Established Member
Re: Re: 9,600 Miles and My First Tow

Originally posted by Crowley

Crowley

Thanks guys. I just called the dealer and they said they replaced the thermostat and the car started to overheat again, so they think that the car has an air pocket and they are trying to burp the system. Doesn't these cars have a shredder valve to let the bleed the system? I thought I remember reading this somewhere. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks

Mike

strzelczykj

Established Member
Just got mine back yesterday. Same problem, failed stuck shut thermostat. Dealer replaced, refilled and burped. Ran it at 100mph on the interstate going home. So far no leaks , temp fine. There is a burp fitting on the driver's side front. There are quite a few posts on the same issue most were resolved. 2500 miles on mine. Good luck, you will be fine. I had to drive mine hot about 2 miles. No bucking or cutout. Freaked me out.

lucafu1

Established Member
yup bleed it witha 1/4 drive ratchet on the black tube on the drivers side.

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
Re: Re: 9,600 Miles and My First Tow

Originally posted by Crowley

Crowley

LOL, well I got you both beat. Try 100km and my first tow for a blown power steering line.

Hope they sort it out for you Blubyu2. :)

strzelczykj

Established Member
Hey, talk about coincedence. I also had the Power Steering problem but at <900 miles. Mine was a seal on the pump. Took 33 days to repair. They had the pump, but the hose was on National backorder. In the process, they had to drain the coolant to get at the hose and pump, which I believe led to the cooling issue I just hopefully got fixed.

BLUBYU2

Established Member
Got the car back yesterday and it looks like its fixed. Smelled like coolant still so I took it to the power washer and cleaned the engine bay again. Now no more smell and I think Im good to go.
Thanks for all of your imput. :burnout:

nugen

Established Member
If you don't have a power bleeder then find someone who does and pay them to do the work.

Users who are viewing this thread