847 rwhp on a stock block?

NewFoundPower

04 Snake Charmer
Established Member
Being new to this whole turbo revolution, to say that I was impressed with the story May edition of MM&FF on the Hellion Turbo Kit for the terminator would be an understatement. They report 847 rwhp on a stock block and the excitement shot through me. I started inquiring about such high numbers (psi is over 20) and have gotten mixed answers. Some people have told me that there is no way a stock terminator engine can withstand the pressure of 847 hp and that the entire article is misleading. Others have told me that with a good tune and conservative driving, it is possible to have this amount of hp in a car and the engine can lead a long, healthy, power producing life.

So now I am confused. Can our engines handle this type of power without strengthening the block? Thanks guys.

-D-

Bgasbear

Established Member
Yes it can be done there is a guy about an hour from me with 851 rwhp on a stock block. He works for Dyno Speed so I'm sure he has a good tune. I've seen him driving it on the street and he's numbers on the track are impressive also.

Mystic03

Established Member
wow this is the first time i have heard of a cobra runnin that much power and still street drivable! :rockon:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
That's the beauty of turbos. They don't have as much parastic loss as a supercharger, so you can see higher rwhp numbers on the same boost. Also, the turbos are easily dialed down (in a matter of seconds) to street friendly boost levels. You'll also notice that the guys tuning their turbo'd rides are tuning much more conservatively than the supercharged guys are. The blown guys are all at 11.8-12.0 to 1 air to fuel with 17-23 degrees timing. They do that because they are all compariing the power numbers with eachother. "If one guy can make 600rwhp with 17psi, then I should be able to also." type of thinking. Not always, but it's not uncommon. Most turbo guys are running 10.3-11.5 air to fuel ratios, and keeping the timing in the 10-15 deg range. So with that conservative timing, richer air to fuel, and always race gas when hitting the car hard, you're seeing some big powered turbo cars on the stock blocks.

TRBO VNM

smashedheadcat said:
That's the beauty of turbos. They don't have as much parastic loss as a supercharger, so you can see higher rwhp numbers on the same boost. Also, the turbos are easily dialed down (in a matter of seconds) to street friendly boost levels. You'll also notice that the guys tuning their turbo'd rides are tuning much more conservatively than the supercharged guys are. The blown guys are all at 11.8-12.0 to 1 air to fuel with 17-23 degrees timing. They do that because they are all compariing the power numbers with eachother. "If one guy can make 600rwhp with 17psi, then I should be able to also." type of thinking. Not always, but it's not uncommon. Most turbo guys are running 10.3-11.5 air to fuel ratios, and keeping the timing in the 10-15 deg range. So with that conservative timing, richer air to fuel, and always race gas when hitting the car hard, you're seeing some big powered turbo cars on the stock blocks.

+1. great post.

that was Nate. he was the test mule/prototyped car for the kit. The car has since made more power. it is definitely capable.

as stated, the trick with making them last is to keep the power down on a daily basis and turn it up at the track. you can't run that kind of power daily and expect the motor to last a long time.

I currently run 10-15# on the street with 93 octane and 11.5 or richer a/f and 15 degrees of timing. at the track I use the exact same tune and turn it up. the most I have seen is 22.7# at the track and ran just under 138mph. that is 9 sec mph with the weight my car is calculates to over 800rwhp. I have a full stereo, chrome front wheels at 18x9, replica wheels for the DR's at the track and have a cage in the car. I have done nothing to lighten the car, but only add weight. I haven't run over 20.7# on the dyno.

so, I basically run 500-625 or so on the street and at the track 700+. change boost on the fly in just a couple of seconds while driving.

NewFoundPower

04 Snake Charmer
Established Member
Well then, my mind is made up. When my warranty runs out this year I will be going with the Hellion T-76 setup. I am getting goosebumps thinking about it. Thanks guys!

-D-

snakebitten1975

Turbo'd Vert
Established Member
NewFoundPower said:
Being new to this whole turbo revolution, to say that I was impressed with the story May edition of MM&FF on the Hellion Turbo Kit for the terminator would be an understatement. They report 847 rwhp on a stock block and the excitement shot through me. I started inquiring about such high numbers (psi is over 20) and have gotten mixed answers. Some people have told me that there is no way a stock terminator engine can withstand the pressure of 847 hp and that the entire article is misleading. Others have told me that with a good tune and conservative driving, it is possible to have this amount of hp in a car and the engine can lead a long, healthy, power producing life.

So now I am confused. Can our engines handle this type of power without strengthening the block? Thanks guys.

-D-

my new setup will be very streetable the HP kit; dual 57's twin turbo setup, going with a different intake setup, but upgrading the fuel system, suspension and everything, i know the same kit made 750 rwhp on the 2nd setting and 900 on the third or last setting on the track, the first setting made 560 from the boost contoller :)

Users who are viewing this thread