80 to a 90 MAF sensor

Boostman1

Established Member
Ok i am reaading that the 99 2000 model trucks have an 80 MAF sensor. Many are saying to upgrade it to a 90maf sensor that comes on the 2001-04 trucks. What exactly is this doing for the truck, is there any gains from it? Just wondering, excuse my ignorance.

4a7191a

Established Member
Honestly I'd stay stock until you needed a larger maf. I believe youd need a tune to go from an 80 to 90. Might as well go bigger when the time comes :)

Robert Francis

Established Member
Beginning in 2001, the Lightning came with a 90 mm MAF. That was part of the changes made to upgrade the hp rating from the earlier 1999-2000 360 hp, to the later 2001-04 380 hp ratings.

And yes, if you upgrade to the 90mm MAF, you'll need a different tune.

Boostman1

Established Member
so if i upgrade it then i should see a HP increase with all the porting i have done cause it seems to me doing all the porting is pointless if you don't have an upgraded MAF to compensate it. Correct me if im wrong, so i'll need some tuning to go with it.

4a7191a

Established Member
I'm not sure how much hp it takes to make the 80mm maf non efficient. It wouldn't hurt to get a tune and the stock 90's start to be Maxed out over 400 HP . I got 420 rwhp and mines close from what my tuner told me.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
you won't see a HP gain just from the mass. You can peg a 80 faster than a 90. Once you max the stock 90,you will have to upgrade to a SCT Maf or a diablo MAFia I have a MAFia on my L. All it does is extend the maf count so you don't max it out. If you max it, it can go lean and pop goes you engine. You can have some mod, stock 90, not tuned for cold weather, gain that 1lb of boost due to cold weather and boom goes your block too.
Some vehices migh be close to maxing a 90 with 420rwhp and some might not be. All vehicles act different. Usually on maxing with power is MAF, pumps and then injectors.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
^^^ agreed. The 90mm maf swap is an upgrade for safety, not so much hp. The resolution of an 80mm is much lower than that of a 90mm tube, therefore the smaller maf will peg at a lower hp level. When it pegs, the ecu can no longer determine how much air is flowing into the engine; it goes to a default fuel table and goes lean. That's when you put holes in pistons or send rods through the side of the block. The 90mm maf is a good cheap safe upgrade for a bolt-on Lightning; but be advised your tune must be updated.

Users who are viewing this thread