$750 For Paint Correction?

AdamR@Gotham

Established Member
My prices are broken up by % of paint correction starting at a 1 step with little defect removal all the way up to 90% + correction. Prices start at $200 and the sky is the limit. I wouldnt touch a real "paint correction" for under $1000. Its way to time consuming and any good shop knows you make less money off of big jobs then you do on basic details. 1 steps and 2 steps are were you make your profit. I do love the challenge though.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Wow, nice old thread revival.

I charge a flat $300 for any car, any condition. I've put over 30 hours into a single car and still charged the same. I don't like to make money off of detailing since it is a hobby and a passion. I've also fixed cars that have come in from "pro's" that have charged triple what I charge that did shit work. High priced does NOT mean high quality.

Chewy

Established Member
Wow, nice old thread revival.

I charge a flat $300 for any car, any condition. I've put over 30 hours into a single car and still charged the same. I don't like to make money off of detailing since it is a hobby and a passion. I've also fixed cars that have come in from "pro's" that have charged triple what I charge that did shit work. High priced does NOT mean high quality.

Not exactly sure what your point is, but you charging a flat rate for a detail isn't smart. Especially if you're putting 30 hours into one. It not only hurts your immediate detailing market and detailers around you, but also doesn't portray a good image for yourself. Unless you're doing wholesale work, each car should have an individual price based on the condition of the vehicle and the client's expectations. That's one of the things that separates a real Pro from a turn em and burn em detail shop.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Not exactly sure what your point is, but you charging a flat rate for a detail isn't smart. Especially if you're putting 30 hours into one. It not only hurts your immediate detailing market and detailers around you, but also doesn't portray a good image for yourself. Unless you're doing wholesale work, each car should have an individual price based on the condition of the vehicle and the client's expectations. That's one of the things that separates a real Pro from a turn em and burn em detail shop.

Point is, people charge a lot for detailing.

As I said, I do it purely out of a hobby and a passion. I'm selective on the cars I work on and since time is an issue, I don't do it much any more.

The fact that I don't advertise, market my skills on forums such as these or locally is not trying to compete with "detail shops" or "real" pros as you said. All of the cars I have worked on were referrals from friends, not from me taking business away from "pros". In fact, I push people to go to the local sponsors on our mustang forums and detail forums instead of offering my services.

I do it on my personal time and overhead is not an issue. I have a full time career running a small company and again, use my personal time to work on cars, when I do.

Chewy

Established Member
Point is, people charge a lot for detailing.

As I said, I do it purely out of a hobby and a passion. I'm selective on the cars I work on and since time is an issue, I don't do it much any more.

The fact that I don't advertise, market my skills on forums such as these or locally is not trying to compete with "detail shops" or "real" pros as you said. All of the cars I have worked on were referrals from friends, not from me taking business away from "pros". In fact, I push people to go to the local sponsors on our mustang forums and detail forums instead of offering my services.

I do it on my personal time and overhead is not an issue. I have a full time career running a small company and again, use my personal time to work on cars, when I do.

$750 isn't a lot for a paint correction. If anything, part timers/enthusiasts (like yourself) tend to charge more than that. If you're putting out a quality, high end product, you should be charging more than the detailers/shops who's quality isn't on point with yours.

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
$750 isn't a lot for a paint correction. If anything, part timers/enthusiasts (like yourself) tend to charge more than that. If you're putting out a quality, high end product, you should be charging more than the detailers/shops who's quality isn't on point with yours.

I understand what you're saying. My wife says the same thing about my work. I put my heart into each car and don't charge a lot compared to what another shop would. There's a sponsor on our forums that charges $450 for a wash, wax, seal and "light" paint correction, but, doesn't vacuum the interior or completely remove all scratches. Some guys have tried undercutting me off the forums by half just to get some business.

I agree I should charge more. Maybe down the road when people get tired of paying nearly $1,000 for a detail from one of our local shops, I'll bump it up a bit and work on their cars.

Flaco1

Established Member
I understand what you're saying. My wife says the same thing about my work. I put my heart into each car and don't charge a lot compared to what another shop would. There's a sponsor on our forums that charges $450 for a wash, wax, seal and "light" paint correction, but, doesn't vacuum the interior or completely remove all scratches. Some guys have tried undercutting me off the forums by half just to get some business.

I agree I should charge more. Maybe down the road when people get tired of paying nearly $1,000 for a detail from one of our local shops, I'll bump it up a bit and work on their cars.

Man I wish I was closer to you. I've been looking out here in Houston and it's crazy what some people are charging out here. I don't mind paying but one guy had quoted me like $2000 stage 3 paint correction. I was like wow. And honesty my car isn't that bad. It's 2011 mustang with 22k miles and usually stays park in the garage.

madscotsman

Established Member
I paid $250 for my paint "correction" in INDY. Dropped the car off on a Friday morning and picked it up Saturday afternoon. It was washed, clay bar'd, compounded, then polished by Friday at closing. He wanted to leave the polish on overnight, remove it Saturday morning then a second polishing Saturday before I picked it up. Paint came back flawless IMO:

IMG_1360.JPG

Attachments

• correction.jpg
    correction.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
I charge 200-350 depending on what the customer wants and what type of paint I will be dealing with. Most cars I get are garage queens so they are easy to correct. My wofe hounds me all the time cause I dont charge people alot. I am with you grabber i do it as a hobby in my spare time when I want so not looking to get rich off it.

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I charge 200-350 depending on what the customer wants and what type of paint I will be dealing with. Most cars I get are garage queens so they are easy to correct. My wofe hounds me all the time cause I dont charge people alot. I am with you grabber i do it as a hobby in my spare time when I want so not looking to get rich off it.

Glad to hear it man!

One day the wife will understand, it's a passion, not a job.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread