$750 For Paint Correction?

Z06KILLR

Established Member
Says it will take 20ish man hours to make the car "as good as he can"

The paint isnt rough by any means but has the spider web scratches from being hand washed. I'm looking to make the paint as good as i can (factory paint, excluding the hood/bumper covers). No wet sanding, etc.

This seems crazy high to me, but he gave me the price without flinching.

Another detailer quoted me $300 and said it would take a whole day.

Maybe I'm out of touch with detailing services...or maybe this guy is just used to lambo and ferarri owners lol

redrocket16

Established Member
Where in TX are you located at?

$750 does seem a bit high though unless he is expecting to have to do 2-3 levels of polishing on it. I know when I detail my own car it takes me the better part of 2-3 days but I want to make sure I take my time and do it right.

redrocket16

Established Member
Also did he say how long the job would take him? Being in Houston there should be an abundant amount of detailers to choose from.

If I were to take my car to a detailer I would treat it just as a shop/tuner for my car as well. What products do they use, experience, word of mouth and pictures in this instance would help as well.

At $750 he better be able to remove all the spider webbing you have plus achieve flawless paint imo.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Post up some pics.

If hes legit and it will really take 20hrs thats a realistic price if the car needs some pretty heavy compounding and even wetsanding to remove defects. If its just swirls and minor random in depth scratches id say $400ish.

Electrokid

Established Member
I would ask to see his portfolio first, and then compare other $750 detailing jobs he's done, to the amount of work that needs to be done on yours.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Also, when I do a big money job I go and buy touch paint for the car and do every spot with it, sometimes sanding over spots afterwards. I get the feeling your car doesn't need that but ask where he goes the extra mile. Portfolio check is ok but he may not have one. And its easy to make a car look good in pics. Ask what products he's going to use on your car and then tell us.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Also, when I do a big money job I go and buy touch paint for the car and do every spot with it, sometimes sanding over spots afterwards. I get the feeling your car doesn't need that but ask where he goes the extra mile. Portfolio check is ok but he may not have one. And its easy to make a car look good in pics. Ask what products he's going to use on your car and then tell us.

+1

I agree, not only ask about the products and detailing history but find out process in which he will indulge in 20+ man hours. That can be a very realistic time but that also depends what level he is going to go with your car. On top of that find out if he has insurance, this is one of the more full proof ways of finding out the difference between a hack and a real deal. Not saying detailers that don't have insurance are hack and do not have quality work but his answer may lead you in another direction or sell you on his services. If your tossing out that kind of money you have every right to know anything and everything about what kind of work will go into your car. Another tip, ask him to document the steps taken just as another reassurance you are getting your money's worth. Good luck! Post before/after shots if you go with it.

Z06KILLR

Established Member
You guys want pics of the paint in the sun I take it? I'm going to clean it tomorrow and will capture the current condition of the paint.

I want to get the hood and deck lid repainted as the paint is off color (only at night and only under artificial light can you see it).

No reason to dump any money in correcting anything until the color is perfect.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Link his business name if you would. If its Cosmin with Pro Reflections, then yes, $750 is right. If not, just depends on the amount of work he is doing. But if they are claiming over 20 hours then $750 is a usual price.

I have a black C6Z06 dropping off at my shop Monday that is getting $900 worth of detailing work.

AWDLS2

Established Member
$750 sounds more believable than $300, $300 just sounds like your normal shop that has no idea how to do paint correction.
My buddy here Immaculate Reflections cheapest 1 step correction is $500, to do my uncles car that took 20hrs was $1080 ($180 of that was for some wet sanding on heavy orange peel).

Post up links to both peoples sites or pictures of their work

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
You guys want pics of the paint in the sun I take it? I'm going to clean it tomorrow and will capture the current condition of the paint.

I want to get the hood and deck lid repainted as the paint is off color (only at night and only under artificial light can you see it).

No reason to dump any money in correcting anything until the color is perfect.

I would prefer the brightest halogen you have for the pics.

kodycobra

Serious Boost Junkie
Established Member
Wow! If any of you suckers live near central Missouri, feel free to swing by with all the black cars you can find. For the prices I'm hearing, I'd set you up in my Theater room with popcorn and all the drinks you wanted, and maybe even hire a masseuse. :thumbsup: I need to start charging more.

Z06KILLR

Established Member
This isnt any wet sanding/trying to remove orange peel. This is just to get the super fince scratches out and make the paint as deep as possible.

I'll get some pics today

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
This isnt any wet sanding/trying to remove orange peel. This is just to get the super fince scratches out and make the paint as deep as possible.

I'll get some pics today

Killer, here is a black C6 I did months back. This was $600 worth of work.

C6 Corvette Paint Correction

Again, it depends on whos doing it and to what extent. Post up the business name, there are very few known high end detailers out of Texas. Even more so ones that charge the correct amount. 20+ hours worth of work for $750 is on par with what I would charge.

AWDLS2

Established Member
Well it was $900 otherwise to get it 95+% perfect

We do need pics because about 90% of the time the person who says its not that bad, it only has a few swirls, etc the car is usually THAT bad.

mr-proper

Established Member
well it will take time i did mine car with a 1 polishing step and it took me 8h. he has to wash,clay, prep, and at least a 2step polishing and wax! but 750 is a little much for spider swirls or do you have car wash swirls?? if so the price is right.

Users who are viewing this thread