7.3 powerstroke

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
ok im looking at trading in my GLI again, this time im looking at a
96 f250 crew cab 4x4 7.3 powerstroke.

anyone have experience with the 7.3 powerstroke?

I have done a bunch of research on these in the past and have a friend who knows a bunch about diesel trucks and he has nothing but good things to say about them.

im still torn between a truck or another stang.

thoughts?

heres the add.

1996 FORD F250 CREWCAB 4X4 SB 7.3 POWERSTROKE TURBO DIESEL

tj04cobra

Established Member
Thats a good looking truck. Those OBS 7.3's when clean do bring in some good money still. The 7.3 is a great motor. Its reliable when maintained and left alone. That one is non-intercooled so it doesn't make all that much power, but those trucks last a loooooonnnnggg time when taken care of. If I were to buy a diesel truck that I didn't want to fool around with as far as mods and just strictly drive it, it'd be a 7.3. Just make sure there are no major fluid leaks (hpop area, water pump, fuel leaks etc that could lead to dumping more money into it right off the bat), make sure it shifts good, make sure it doesn't have excessive blow by etc. Try and be the first one to have start it for the day when you go look at it too see if it runs like ass when cold. Typically means you got some weak injectors and/or glow plugs and come winter time thats more $$$ thats going to need to be thrown at it. Hope this helps.

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
i looked at it today and when i started it up it had no visable blow by and ran like a champ right off the bat.

its all stock, no major mods. so thats good. if i get it ill be keeping it STOCK.

no major leaks were found. about the only thing i could find was a broken steering stablizer.

might go back and look at it again when my car gets out of the shop

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thats seems overpriced to me...

Look around on powerstroke.org and powerstrokenation.com

7.3s are solid motors that need occasional things, they arent exactly powerhouses stock but will do anything you need it to!

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
yeah its a bit high in price. kbb has ir at 7900 in excellent condish. but i do like in scottsdale and sooner or later someone will pay that price.

im not too worried about it if he wont meet me close to my price i just wont make the deal.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Have you considered a V10? I bet you could get one for around that money with comparable power and maybe a little less maintenance cost.

MGC

Established Member
Have you considered a V10? I bet you could get one for around that money with comparable power and maybe a little less maintenance cost.

I would get a 7.3 all day long over a V10, better on fuel economy and better for towing, it's just a diesel thing. :beer:

tj04cobra

Established Member
It's a bit on the high side cus whoever is selling it knows it will bring that kind of money. Somebody will pay it and most likely get one hell of a truck. Those trucks are solid. Although for a few more grand you can find a clean 99-01 7.3, the obs 7.3's are super solid. If you want a 02-03 7.3 with decent milage, expect to pay some coin. That's a nice clean lookin truck. You would be disappointed with a V10 gasser.

skyhighsd

Established Member
Nice looking truck, but I would bet it is a dog. 99 or newer or I would not be looking at it but thats JMO.

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
i would only want a an OBS ford TD. other than that i would only get a cummins dodge.

i really dont care if its a dog. if it can tow on occasion ill be happy.

im keeping my eyes open for a while

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Don't talk crap about the V10. A 3v will run circles around a 7.3. It will get bad mileage while doing it, but it will maintain its speed better on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread