7.3 or 6.0

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
I do not work for Ford or in any way derive income from any Ford associations. I just know what I see first hand. Unlike your engineer friend, I have no horse in this race. But I know what I see, and it says your friend is FOS.

If the problem was really on Ford's end, why did they bother to take legal action against Navistar in order to get out of the engine deal they had through CY 2011 so they could move on to their own in-house developed diesels? Ford got burned big-time by Navistar and wanted control back, plain and simple.

When it boils right down to it, Ford is a much bigger, broader reaching company with far more engineering resources than Navistar. Ford is one of the world's biggest R&D spenders of any company on the planet regardless of industry. Ford has direct access to diesel tech that is years ahead of Navistar (FoE). Bottom line: anything Navistar can do, Ford can do better. Navistar hasn't built a decent "light-duty" diesel since the 7.3 PS/T444E, and that has nothing to do with Ford.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
As long as it hasn't been worked to death and was well maintained, I think you made a good choice.

MATT SS

Well I have a 6.0, and have all the confidence in the world that it will hold up with the proper care and maintance. Mine has 147K and runs fine! I have seen the 6.0 perform quite well with many municipal services beating the HELL out of them. Navistar would NOT still be in business if ALL the motor's they made broke down.

SILVER-BULLET

Established Member
I do not work for Ford or in any way derive income from any Ford associations. I just know what I see first hand. Unlike your engineer friend, I have no horse in this race. But I know what I see, and it says your friend is FOS.

If the problem was really on Ford's end, why did they bother to take legal action against Navistar in order to get out of the engine deal they had through CY 2011 so they could move on to their own in-house developed diesels? Ford got burned big-time by Navistar and wanted control back, plain and simple.

When it boils right down to it, Ford is a much bigger, broader reaching company with far more engineering resources than Navistar. Ford is one of the world's biggest R&D spenders of any company on the planet regardless of industry. Ford has direct access to diesel tech that is years ahead of Navistar (FoE). Bottom line: anything Navistar can do, Ford can do better. Navistar hasn't built a decent "light-duty" diesel since the 7.3 PS/T444E, and that has nothing to do with Ford.

I have to respectfully disagree. I have 137k now on my 2005 6.0, and it still hasn't seen the dealer for a single issue---not one.

I have the stock "buzz" injector tune, not the updated tune with less power .

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
What part are you disagreeing with?

Because if you are trying to argue for the 6.0 being a more reliable mill than the 7.3 PSD, Ford's own warranty figures prove that wrong.

Ford's diesel drama drags on | The Center for Autosafety

Even in the later years of the 6.0, not all of the issues were addressed. They were still in for warranty work in much higher rates than any other Ford product.

SILVER-BULLET

Established Member
What part are you disagreeing with?

Because if you are trying to argue for the 6.0 being a more reliable mill than the 7.3 PSD, Ford's own warranty figures prove that wrong.

Ford's diesel drama drags on | The Center for Autosafety

Even in the later years of the 6.0, not all of the issues were addressed. They were still in for warranty work in much higher rates than any other Ford product.

I understand what you are saying about the figures. That has not been my experience.

I haven't owned a 7.3, only this 6.0 (2005)---it's been flawless.

Edit: Just noticed your article was from 2005. I wouldn't touch an '03 or '04 6.0.

Last edited:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
It's good to know there are some trouble free 6.0s out there.

SILVER-BULLET

Established Member
It's good to know there are some trouble free 6.0s out there.

Thanks---that is kind of my point. Your not going to hear about the good experiences online. Unfortunately, people that are happy are not the ones telling their 3 page stories online.

I deal with this every day in the car/truck sales industry. Happy customers fail to send in their surveys everyday, but refer friends/family members to our dealership. Unsatisfied customers will go to the ends of the earth to let everyone know they are un-happy.

Does the data on the 6.0 pertain to engine problems only, or would other problems be reported also. Like the transmission for example. The 4r100 would barely hold up to a stock 7.3, and the new trans didn't come out until 2005.

I'm just wondering if the injector problems of the 03/04 model years, coupled with the 4r100 being offered in those years, is enough to slightly scew the results.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
The TorqueShift/5R110 came out mid-year 2003 along with the 6.0L.

FWIW, I'm not basing anything on the internet. But rather the experiences of fleet managers and Ford techs. Warranty figures apply to the engine and it's subsystems, not the trans.

Last edited:

MATT SS

The TorqueShift/5R110 came out mid-year 2003 along with the 6.0L.

FWIW, I'm not basing anything on the internet. But rather the experiences of fleet managers and Ford techs. Warranty figures apply to the engine and it's subsystems, not the trans.

You have really good info, but im going to give the 6.0 a chance. Besides I have a really good diesel machanic as a friend of mine who has his own shop:beer:

Duff Daddy

Established Member
have a 99 f350 with 200k on it, six speed and crank windows, couldnt be happier with the truck very little repairs (brakes with calipers 2 sets in 70k, few misc matainance hoeses, belts, axle seals, and a left front hub and brg) but other then thoes the truck has been great, just a rust pit on the body lol

Users who are viewing this thread