6th gear grinds

slowgreycobra

Established Member
Yesterday I was drving along on the highway and shifted from 4th to 6th. Now mind you I am not powershifting or slamming into 6th gear nor have i been shifting to 6th like a psycho. I just let off the gas for a second and put it into 6th. As I move the shifter into 6th it grinds really bad but goes into gear. I thought that was weird so I adjusted the clutch and try it again. Grinds again. I then try it in 5th and there is no grinding. I shift from 5th to 6th and there is no grind. If I shift at around 2500-3000 rpm from any other gear it grinds. Does this mean my synchros are bad? Or something else? I know the tranny needs serviced and I was going to take it in next week. I might be taking it in early if its acting up like this. If the synchros are bad, how hard is it to replace them? If I remember right in the T-45 5th gear is in the tailshaft. Are 5th and 6th also in the tailshaft for a T-56? If I do have to pull the tranny I'm doing the cooling mod, clutch and any other upgrades I can while I'm in there.

racebronco2

Established Member
Whitedeathtrap said:
If I shift at around 2500-3000 rpm from any other gear it grinds. Does this mean my synchros are bad? I might be taking it in early if its acting up like this. If the synchros are bad, how hard is it to replace them? Are 5th and 6th also in the tailshaft for a T-56? If I do have to pull the tranny I'm doing the cooling mod, clutch and any other upgrades I can while I'm in there.

Sounds like the syncro to me but i am no expert. Yes the 5th/6th gear is in the tailhousing.

slowgreycobra

Established Member
I played with the clutch adjustment and it went away until I shut the engine off at a store. Then turn it back on and back on the road and into 6th its grinding. I was thinking about getting a firewall adjuster and see if for some reason its about the dumb clutch. Thats a cheap start and something I want to get anyway.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I would say synchro if it where the clutch it should do it in more than one gear synchros can go bad.

TJ@RPMtrans

Established Member
It definately sounds like you have a syncro bad in 6th gear, either that or a bent shift fork, or missing/broken shift pad (factory pads are plastic)

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I doubt it is a shift fork they are very strong

Users who are viewing this thread