6th Gear DYNO pull = POP goes my motor...

03'Darin

Established Member
First off let me say I feel bad for the situation your in. The dyno operator obviously made a huge mistake (I can't believe he couldn't tell the car was in 6th gear by the lack of acceleration and probably 150 MPH tire speed) that most likely was the direct cause of the motor failure.

But, how in the hell can you guys be pissed off at Ford for not fixing his problem?? That's freakin' rediculous!! The car obviously had a tune (you stated that you put the stock tune back in) that right off the bat voids the warranty. It just pisses me off to no end that you guys piss all over Ford when they turn down a claim on a modded car. :mj:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Hmm, that's interesting. I did a 6th gear pull once cause we were just messing around and wanted to see what would happen. Everything went fine, the car just bounced off the speed limiter, I didn't know that it could fail or blow up.

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
that sux man sorry to hear it i hope its all paid for by the person that did it!

edit=holy crap i have a thousand posts!

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
03'Darin said:
First off let me say I feel bad for the situation your in. The dyno operator obviously made a huge mistake (I can't believe he couldn't tell the car was in 6th gear by the lack of acceleration and probably 150 MPH tire speed) that most likely was the direct cause of the motor failure.

But, how in the hell can you guys be pissed off at Ford for not fixing his problem?? That's freakin' rediculous!! The car obviously had a tune (you stated that you put the stock tune back in) that right off the bat voids the warranty. It just pisses me off to no end that you guys piss all over Ford when they turn down a claim on a modded car. :mj:

everyones bashing ford because they had origianlly told him that oh yeah, we'll cover 70% of your bill to pull block and repair engine......so they pulled the block and basically told him he's SOL, they should have verified through the ford rep and the manager or whoever that he was indeed covered to have this work done....and they didnt deny his claim because his car was modded, they came up with the excuse that 1.he's not the original owner and 2. his car was one year outta warranty

Last edited:

Jfoster

Established Member
I've seen this now on 3 different posts on this site alone and on another site. It's cool you caught on video what most cobra owners with toasted motors have already learned, but your beating a dead horse hoping the shop owners are going to help you out here. While it is likely the 6th gear pull did some damage, it is just as likely that there was damage from running the car previously and it's going to be impossible to determine which it was.

If I owned a dyno, I would also have you sign the waiver that you signed. There is no way for me to magically know the condition of any engine before it hits the dyno and I wouldn't guarantee a thing. It's a risk the car owner takes.

Hopefully your block is not damaged and you can save a few $$ there.

Good luck
Jeff

NinoAvila

Who's awesome....YOU ARE!
Established Member
Jfoster said:
but your beating a dead horse hoping the shop owners are going to help you out here. While it is likely the 6th gear pull did some damage, it is just as likely that there was damage from running the car previously and it's going to be impossible to determine which it was.
I've posted it to Modular Fords and here. This post was for an "UPDATE". As far as expecting something from the shop....that's been established. I haven't expected anything from them since the day I got off the phone with the owner and it was clear I wasn't going to get any assistance.

If I owned a dyno, I would also have you sign the waiver that you signed. There is no way for me to magically know the condition of any engine before it hits the dyno and I wouldn't guarantee a thing. It's a risk the car owner takes.
I would too. But know what, if I knew an employee of mine shat the stick (more than once and not only with me, but other that dyno'ed that day), I would somehow make it right. I do every day at work. Even if it means cleaning up after someone else's mess.

I expected the dyno operator to strap the car down right...it almost came off the rollers. I expected them to be able to get my RPM reading off of the coil pack wire...they plug into my diagnostic port and thusly the whole point of my dyno'ing inf the first place was moot - I couldn't data log with my laptop/SCT Tuner. I expected that my car would by dyno'ed in the correct gear, instead it was dyno'ed in 6th gear for almost 30 seconds. I expected that even after all these mistakes were made that the operator wouldn't try to dyno ANOTHER car in 6th...know what....it happened.

These motors don't pop on their own. Yes, the car was modified, but it had been run on the street as well as the track with no problems what-so-ever. The motor was in good shape. I WAS running lean, but keep in mind the tail-sniffer is usually not the most accurate A/F reader.

With the exception of the scorched pistons, there is *NOTHING* wrong with the block. Check out the pics on my site, the block is spotless. It's not in "good" shape, it's in extraordinary shape for the time it's spent out on the road and for the milage (according to 3 different sources, the dealership, my mechanic and the machine shop guy I'm taking it to). It's seen nothing but TLC since day one.

Hopefully your block is not damaged and you can save a few $$ there.
Just needs pistons and a bore. :)

Good luck
Thanks, I could use some :(

-N

lightning666

Established Member
sucks to hear something like that. I guess I won't be going to xessive for their dyno day. well at least I won't be putting my truck on the rollers.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
I read everything and that's a terrible situation, :(

It looks like the A/F was lean on the tune though. Looks like low 13's tapering down to mid 12's. That's not good. How long had you been running that tune? (or that reading could be caused by their faulty/dirty A/F sensor as well)

What was the max timing?

2003%20Cobra

How often did you check your plugs for signs of detonation? What'd they look like after this dyno incident?

Last edited:

andreas.e

User from Sweden
Established Member
1sweetSVT said:
yea if you would READ....
it was leaning out a lil in 4th, then the moron accidentally threw it in 6th but only for 3.21 seconds (or so ford claimed) which ultimatly resulted in burnt piston, but it had nothing to do with a 6th gear pull....they say....

I sure do my reading right :nono:

NinoAvila said:
Not quite...He dynoed it in 6th thinking he was in fourth. No cool-down. He then dynoed it in 4th.
-N

s|ck

Established Member
Damn dude, sucks to hear about your troubles. Good info on your website, just blew the motor in my L and its good to use some tips!

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
That sucks dude. What you should have done was after the first dyno run where it almost came off the dyno was get your car the hell out of there. From what I read it seems they had no idea what they were doing. This was bound to happen sooner or later, on the dyno or the next streetrace. At least it will be back better then it was before. Good luck.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
wikedcobra312 said:
wow, you know now that i think of it, when i dynoed my car last sat, they took it all the way to 150mph, i dunno what gear though.
What RPM did they take it to? According to the speed calculator, it was taken to just about 7000 (with 3.55's that's 150 mph in 4th).

When I had my Eaton '99 cobra, it had 3.27's and we ran it up to 7200 rpm in 4th. I don't remember the speed, but it was WAAAY up there (according to the calculator that's 168 mph).

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
damn, that sucks. I'm glad my dyno operator is good, and i'm glad i'm the one doing the shifting and stepping on the gas when my cars on the dyno. If its gonna blow, its gonna be from my right foot!

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Has anyone else looked at his A/F on his dynosheet? That engine was most likely already damaged or would certainly be hurt soon if he was running with that kind of tune - unless the A/F sensor on that dyno that day was not working properly and his tune is actually substantially richer than that.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Why are you going after the Ford store? I read the other post and don't see how they were involved.

I think the 6th gear thing hurt it, but I also think that your tune was more of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread