6r80 wierd "slip" during 3-4 shifts

fctrywrkr

5.SL0
Established Member
the trans sometimes seems to "slip", or get confused as to what gear it is in. sometimes it will sort of free rev like the converter unlocks or something, then finds a gear, other times its just super sluggish, then sometimes its perfectly fine. is this tune related or what? i have a bama 93R/P tunes. both do it. i hope its not clutch pack related. :??: which i dont believe it is bc its only on certain shifts, its never 1-2 or 2-3.

it never has an issue at WOT. only part throttle instances which may be line pressure related. i plan to get a JPC tune soon. :beer:

cb900f

Established Member
My Bama tune did the same. Swapped to a real tuner and it's fixed. Worked with Bama a bunch to fix it too. :-(

KrisR

Established Member
Yeah, I had part throttle shifting issues with some of my Bama tunes also. I switched to Mid Atlantic Performance (Mike Rousch) for tuning and all is well now. Mike is another great source for A6 tuning.

9secWS6

Established Member
Same here with Bama tunes back when I first got the car. Once I went with BBR tunes it went away completely.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
It could just be the strategy of you computer. Or have you done a kam reset and put a lot of miles on the car. After my kam reset and Aed tune my car shifted crazy and had horrible flare ups between shifts and acted confused on what gear it wanted. After a 30 min drive cycle at differ t speeds with a lot if stopping, slowing down and accelerating it sorted itself out. Adapter stuff works weird. Now the car shifts fine and it's like stock but more firm and precise.

Shaun told me there are something like 75 different shift patterns I guess you would call them so it's hard to get shifts good along with apparently one if the tables involving a shifts was built like crap. Maybe he will step in and correct stuff that I'm probably screwing up.

fctrywrkr

5.SL0
Established Member
so whats the fix? remove battery cable for 15 minutes or so and get a revised tune and load it? makes me feel better its not a hardware issue.

4VFTW

Established Member
Yeah, I had part throttle shifting issues with some of my Bama tunes also. I switched to Mid Atlantic Performance (Mike Rousch) for tuning and all is well now. Mike is another great source for A6 tuning.

I'll second that

D.T.R

Established Member
I'm having this flare on 3rd to 4th gear also. My tuner and I have tried all kinds of stuff and we still can't figure it out. Seems like when the converter is commanded to lock going into 4th gear it flares. I'm considering pulling the trans apart and upgrading clutches and also sending the converter back to Circle D to get it looked at and re stalled while we are at it...
I've been trying to figure this issue out for a couple of weeks now, it's driving me insane.
As the car approaches the RPMs where it would shift into 4th (2500rpms) it flares to like 3200 rpms, and as soon as it let off the throttle.. and falls into 4th gear and everything else is normal from that point on.
1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd are perfect, the same with 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th gear shifts.
It does not have any issues when downshifting also. If i put it on select shift and shift myself from 3th to 4th it will flare still.

dead man walkin

Established Member
I think this is a prank post.. no one has ever had a problem with the 6r80.. it's factory filled for life with unicorn blood, when using it instead of calculating driveline loss you add a percentage to the hp.... honestly it sounds confused... I'd reload the tune and do a drive cycle by the book

cb900f

Established Member
I put about 2,000 miles on my car with the crap Bama tune. Tried updating the handheld, tried resetting the computer. Data logged and sent them to Bama. Nothing was better.

D.T.R

Established Member
These 6R80s need good tuning and if not u will have premature failure. My trans lasted 3 years at pretty good pwr.

That's what I'm mainly confused about. I haven't been able to race the car once. All the abuse the trans has is a handful of dyno pulls at a lousy 700whp. i find it hard to believe that it broke... but the day the car got dyno it ran perfectly fine off the dyno... it's like it went bad on it's own after the fact...

cb900f

Established Member
That's what I'm mainly confused about. I haven't been able to race the car once. All the abuse the trans has is a handful of dyno pulls at a lousy 700whp. i find it hard to believe that it broke... but the day the car got dyno it ran perfectly fine off the dyno... it's like it went bad on it's own after the fact...

Your experience is just like my Bama. 1-2-3 worked fine, 4-5-6 slipped. Are you happy with the tuner? Have you tried anyone else?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Check the fluid, it should be bright red. That can be tricky though, I've seen a few with toasted clutches that the fluid still looked pretty good.

When in doubt best plan is to pull the pan and look for debris. Make sure to loosen the fill cap first though!

fctrywrkr

5.SL0
Established Member
Ryan at Bama hit me up last night and got my name immediately after he saw this thread, I already have new tunes on the way. He said they've made a few adjustments to their tunes since my last revisions, so I'ma give em a shot to sort it out. I appreciate their timely response. Besides the trans issue, the car runs pretty well. It went 12.01@116 on a 1.86 60' with just an OR x-pipe and their tune on some 26" bias plys

cb900f

Established Member
Ryan at Bama hit me up last night and got my name immediately after he saw this thread, I already have new tunes on the way. He said they've made a few adjustments to their tunes since my last revisions, so I'ma give em a shot to sort it out. I appreciate their timely response. Besides the trans issue, the car runs pretty well. It went 12.01@116 on a 1.86 60' with just an OR x-pipe and their tune on some 26" bias plys

Glad to hear they are still trying. Hopefully they have them figured out by now. Post up if it works!

D.T.R

Established Member
Your experience is just like my Bama. 1-2-3 worked fine, 4-5-6 slipped. Are you happy with the tuner? Have you tried anyone else?

I am very happy with him, he's very knowdledgable of this platform and i want to stay with him... i just need to find out what this issue is.

The fluid looks bright red and brand new pretty much. The level is perfect, right where it needs to be (triple checked this with the car hot... and the trans temp at around 180).

To those of you who were able to get this issue fixed, what in the tune was the culprit? what did your tuner adjust/changed to fix this?
We tried applying more pressure to the 3-4 shift but it didn't fix the issue.
What i find the most confusing about my issue is, the day the car got tuned the car didn't do this on the dyno nor on the street... it's almost like it started doing it by itself a couple of weeks later. The car hasn't even been raced or anything.

Last edited:

2012csgt

Established Member
Mine started to do the same thing slowly. But in time(and multiple tune revisions) I realized it wasn't the tune... It was the 3-4 clutches slipping. Drove me insane.

Users who are viewing this thread