68 Fastback Restomod project thread

Coosawjack

Established Member
I had a 408W Stroker in my Cobra Replica and it pulled like a FREIGHT TRAIN up to about 6000 RPM......lotsa low end torque but never wound it past about 6500 RPM........not much power up there and my builder said 6500 RPM was Max he'd recommend!! ;)

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Spinning any SBF to 7500-8k is like a cat with 9 lives.

Eventually you run out of lives.

You should tell that to my 19 year old 347 on 150 shot .
That cat sees 7- 7500 all the time .
I suppose with. The roller blocks ,this could be true ,but I am using a 68 production block , and all my machine work was done by a machinist that builds circle track engines that spin in the 19k range .

chao5.0

Established Member
I suppose with. The roller blocks ,this could be true ,but I am using a 68 production block , and all my machine work was done by a machinist that builds circle track engines that spin in the 19k range .

That's BS, even NASCAR will only do 9500-9700 rpm, you don't even want to know what goes into an engine that spins 19k rpm, those things have unobtanium parts. But stroke has nothing to do with RPM limitations, if that was the case then mountain motor PRO STOCK and PRO MOD wouldn't be turning the rpm they do.

Recon

Established Member
That's BS, even NASCAR will only do 9500-9700 rpm, you don't even want to know what goes into an engine that spins 19k rpm, those things have unobtanium parts. But stroke has nothing to do with RPM limitations, if that was the case then mountain motor PRO STOCK and PRO MOD wouldn't be turning the rpm they do.

Only engines I can think of that spin 19k rpm are F1 engines but they DOHC, not pushrod. Highest pushrod rpm I saw was a nova revving to 10-11k, but I’m pretty sure it was a small block. With extensive modifications of course.

Pick your poison.

chao5.0

Established Member
Only engines I can think of that spin 19k rpm are F1 engines but they DOHC, not pushrod. Highest pushrod rpm I saw was a nova revving to 10-11k, but I’m pretty sure it was a small block. With extensive modifications of course.

Pick your poison.

Before NHRA neutered PRO STOCK the Hemi's were approaching 12k, it was when GM complained they limited it to 10.5k. Like I said stoke doesn't limit your rpm, usually it will be your valvetrain or you run out of cylinder head.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Let’s not derail this thread with engine building theory. You could discuss this at length, but it’s between you and your engine builder on redline! I will say a built 427” stroker is big fun :)
Looking forward to seeing more updates, good luck.
-J

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Typo meant 10k , sorry you can't see that small blocks , even non strokers can spin quite easily to 7 all day long

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
Rev limit has almost nothing to do with it a stroker motor. That is a factor of your build (compression/heads/cam/etc). If the right parts are in the rotating assembly and the valve train, and more importantly, it’s still making power, then it doesn’t care that it’s a stroker. 7500-8000 is common place in many big inch Windsor strokers.

Before NHRA neutered PRO STOCK the Hemi's were approaching 12k, it was when GM complained they limited it to 10.5k. Like I said stoke doesn't limit your rpm, usually it will be your valvetrain or you run out of cylinder head.

Typo meant 10k , sorry you can't see that small blocks , even non strokers can spin quite easily to 7 all day long

The RPM information was relayed to me by the engine builder. If he is wrong, then I apologize for the false information. I have never built or even owned a (large cube) Stroker motor in the past so this is new territory for me.

However, when an extremely reputable engine builder (why I went to him in the first place) who builds multiple Stroker motors per week told me this, in addition to rest of the R&D that went into this motor I wasn’t going to question him. That coupled with the fact Hot Rod magazine came to do an entire spread on this exact engine he built me.

Dyno Tested! 427 Ford Windsor with Borla’s New Stack Fuel Injection - Hot Rod Network

On the engine dyno he spun the motor to 6,500. The car will be hitting the dyno tomorrow so I will see what the tuner will be able to spin it to before it runs out of legs. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
Let’s not derail this thread with engine building theory. You could discuss this at length, but it’s between you and your engine builder on redline! I will say a built 427” stroker is big fun :)
Looking forward to seeing more updates, good luck.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Really man, it’s an absolute killer build and ever cooler with that 8 stack and Hot Rod coverage, huge props to you!
I just reread that link and peak was 62-6300rpm, so your shift points should be around 6500rpm. Really depends on your curve and how long it holds on after peak. Usually shifting 500rpm or so after peak gives best performance (shift recovery and area under curve) but in reality each engine is unique and you’ll just have to ask your builder and/or see what the performance shows at the track.
Really though, for street performance and knowing rpm is hard on parts, shifting around 6000 will be more than plenty on street and if using a conventional clutch, you’ll spin it a few hundred over the shift point on the tach.
I built an NA 427W with Livernois back 15yrs ago and then redid it twice for turbo use and the last version on engine dyno break in made 555hp at 5900 but held on with 550hp at 7000 due to running it NA with a wrong carb. Only dyno was for break in, but that 4” stroke on the street gives you great torque response on the street and a very fun torque curve.
Can’t wait to see your finished results!
-J

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
On the engine dyno he spun the motor to 6,500. The car will be hitting the dyno tomorrow so I will see what the tuner will be able to spin it to before it runs out of legs. Stay tuned.

Im about to do the same this weekend. Never had it on the chassis dyno yet. When he engine dyno'd mine he cut off early as well. HP curve was still climbing. You planning on hitting mustang week in 2019? If so I want to shake your hand and check out this beautiful machine.

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
Really man, it’s an absolute killer build and ever cooler with that 8 stack and Hot Rod coverage, huge props to you!
I just reread that link and peak was 62-6300rpm, so your shift points should be around 6500rpm. Really depends on your curve and how long it holds on after peak. Usually shifting 500rpm or so after peak gives best performance (shift recovery and area under curve) but in reality each engine is unique and you’ll just have to ask your builder and/or see what the performance shows at the track.
Really though, for street performance and knowing rpm is hard on parts, shifting around 6000 will be more than plenty on street and if using a conventional clutch, you’ll spin it a few hundred over the shift point on the tach.
I built an NA 427W with Livernois back 15yrs ago and then redid it twice for turbo use and the last version on engine dyno break in made 555hp at 5900 but held on with 550hp at 7000 due to running it NA with a wrong carb. Only dyno was for break in, but that 4” stroke on the street gives you great torque response on the street and a very fun torque curve.
Can’t wait to see your finished results!
-J

Thank you, and thanks for the solid information. You’re probably spot on with the shift points, which as you said depends on the curve. We just swapped out the distributer for a dual sync so we’ll have better control throughout the rev range. I’ll keep this thread updated with the dyno results.

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
Im about to do the same this weekend. Never had it on the chassis dyno yet. When he engine dyno'd mine he cut off early as well. HP curve was still climbing. You planning on hitting mustang week in 2019? If so I want to shake your hand and check out this beautiful machine.

Thank you! Unfortunately I won’t be able make it due to military obligations. Hopefully I’ll be able to make it down in the next few years. Let me know how your dyno session goes!

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
I dont believe this is true. With strike you are pulling the piston down further into or actually out if the bore. Plus you have more angle at the bottom of the stroke.

The builders I've dealt with end up with a lower max rpm on heavier stroked engine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

This is exactly what I was told. Which I further researched myself and from everything I found looks to be true, especially in large cubic inch stroker motors. With a smaller stroke, stroker motor it isn’t that big of a factor because it isn’t pulling the piston so far down, possibly out or because of the larger angle slamming into the cylinder wall at high RPM.

Last edited:

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
This is exactly what I was told. Which I further researched myself and from everything I found looks to be true, especially in large cubic inch stroker motors. With a smaller stroke, stroker motor it isn’t that big of a factor because it isn’t pulling the piston so far down, possibly out/slamming into the cylinder wall at high RPM.

Not trying to derail your build thread.. but what research did you find? Because I’ve found the exact opposite. Your build may very well be topped out at that RPM, but it isn’t a factor of stroker motors in general. Several factors.

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
Not trying to derail your build thread.. but what research did you find? Because I’ve found the exact opposite. Your build may very well be topped out at that RPM, but it isn’t a factor of stroker motors in general. Several factors.

Stroker Motors Basics and Theory - FordMuscle

What is a Stroker Motor? | Everything You Need to Know

How to Stroke Any Engine - Car Craft Magazine

Building Stroker LS Engines - Engine Builder Magazine

What Are Stroker Kits, And How Do They Increase Torque?

IMG_3144.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread