66 Mustang coupe with a coyote swap

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
This MUST be finished by Mustang Week!!
Hope to seeit there.
Sub'n

Don't worry, I'll start riding his ass about mid-may if its not getting close to done!!
whip.gif

flS/R

Established Member
are you going with the mustang tips through the rear valance or custom tips? Thanks for posting pics of the torque boxes, I need to install some of these :)

66 coyote

Established Member
Some more of the boring pics but has to be done. Man this body is in good shape I still cant believe how nice it is.

image_zps0cbfedc5.jpg

Gettin it cleaned up and ready for some primer

image_zps040c4401.jpg

image_zpsb83d7b68.jpg

Trans is not here yet but had to check the fit for the factory headers, master cylinder, how much room for radiator and fans, ect. an general fit plus could'nt wait to see it in there lol

image_zpsba3b33df.jpg

image_zpsab92f07d.jpg

image_zps117c5c15.jpg

image_zpsc5b7e306.jpg

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
It amazes me how people are talented enough to pull these kind of projects off. Can't wait to see the final product! Sub'd

Last edited:

66 coyote

Established Member
Ok got the new Phoenix transmission 4R70W with the hand held programer lets fit it all in there.

image_zpsddcb0280.jpg

After a few times putting the motor and trans in
out this is what needed to be removed to get it in there

image_zps1303bdf5.jpg

Its in and fits real good now gotta make a new trans tunnel and trans mount now

image_zps9ff14c2a.jpg

image_zpseb5b5e4a.jpg

Starting on the removable trans mount coming along nicely

image_zpsb82b6128.jpg

One step closer

image_zpsd363c823.jpg

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
How much room is there for manifolds/headers?
Looks like you're making great progress.

66 coyote

Established Member
How much room is there for manifolds/headers?
Looks like you're making great progress.

The factory headers that come with the motor will have to be modified a little but Dougs Headers is supposed to make a set for it but I dont think they will fit with an automatic lots of room though

LT1Chevy210

The Doug's will not clear the 4R70W. I bought a set and sent them back as they run too narrow to clear the transmission pan. Mustangs to Fear has a nice set of long tubes that'll work. I had to move the oxygen sensor bung but other than that they fit nicely (the original location placed the sensor directly into the tranny pan).

I have a 68 Mustang that is nearly identical to yours (TCI suspension, 4R70W, etc). In case you haven't noticed, Ford changed the hub on the water pump to a 3 bolt design. If you're planning on running a pulley kit that changes the water pump pulley, you'll need to swap out the pump for the previous 4 bolt design.

IMAG0202_zps9c231f5a.jpg

66 coyote

Established Member
The Doug's will not clear the 4R70W. I bought a set and sent them back as they run too narrow to clear the transmission pan. Mustangs to Fear has a nice set of long tubes that'll work. I had to move the oxygen sensor bung but other than that they fit nicely (the original location placed the sensor directly into the tranny pan).

I have a 68 Mustang that is nearly identical to yours (TCI suspension, 4R70W, etc). In case you haven't noticed, Ford changed the hub on the water pump to a 3 bolt design. If you're planning on running a pulley kit that changes the water pump pulley, you'll need to swap out the pump for the previous 4 bolt design.

IMAG0202_zps9c231f5a.jpg

Modified the factory stainless headers today i believe they will work out great thanks for all the info you car is killer:rockon:

66 coyote

Established Member
The Door gaps on most of these Mustangs are so tight drives me crazy so had to modify them a little. thids one is halfway done but you can see how tight the bottom is

image_zpsb95c88d8.jpg

Now that looks better a lot of grinding and welding. Takes some time to make it look right but I like it much better,

image_zps91cb07db.jpg

Here is how tight the drivers door was after moving it as far forward as i could and keeping everything in line

image_zps05c090a4.jpg

Got this side almost done will finish tomorrow just the bottom part left to do

image_zps5cb46851.jpg

The factory Stainless Headers need a little modifying I was gonna use the Dougs but found out they wont work with the Automatic they would have to be modified also so made the factory ones work. the drivers side fit s great just need to cut the bottom flange and turn it.

image_zps56a037dd.jpg

The drivers side need a bit more work I turned the bottom flange also. Then had to pie cut all 4 tubes near the head flange bend the header down and weld back together fits great now. I even think I might be able to pull the motor in and out with them on that would be a plus we will see soon.

image_zps1917ac5a.jpg

image_zps5901e9bd.jpg

image_zpsa1027214.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread