'64 Thunderbolt

mhoover

Established Member
Whas up

My dad and I went to Bowling Green, Ky last weekend to run our truck in the NHRA Lucas Oil Divisional race and this is what we parked next to. I hope Mr Dallas does not mind me posting pics of this car bc it might be the coolest Super Stock, for that matter, race car, I have ever seen.

An original 1964 Ford Thunderbolt with a factory 427.

1964 - 425 HP
2012 - 850 N/A HP

Incredible. Needless to say, he won Best of Show

Enjoy!

photo2atc.jpg

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mhoover34

photo1id.jpg

photo3zc.jpg

photo4im.jpg

photo5jh.jpg

photo6buf.jpg

Matt

04SVTF

Established Member
As rare as those cars are, I wonder how much that thing depreciated with all the crap done to it?

mhoover

Established Member
As rare as those cars are, I wonder how much that thing depreciated with all the crap done to it?

Idk? All original I would estimated the car would be worth $200K+??

If you bought this one turn key I would be shocked if you could buy it for less than $150K bc I am sure he has more than that in it

Matt

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
am i the only one that thinks its cool that he made it into a drag car? the car came out in 64 as a factory drag car, and it still looks like a 60s drag car. Yes it may have been built out of the period, but i still think its awesome that he did it.

Wish i could have been in BG to see that car

69clark

Established Member
To everyone bitching about this thing being a race car now.... keep in mind, this car was built in the day by men who built cars to go fast and nothing else. When cars where built to be cars, NOT COLLECTORS ITEMS. This is a factory drag car, and was meant to be raced and beat on. Built to be tweaked and modified by the owner to win.

The car apparently was bought and raced and that is what it looks like it has done. There are enough garage queen cars, and payment book hot rods out there that it is nice to see something like this that is still being used and looking damn good too.

04SVTF

Established Member
Not bitching. I'm genuinely curious to see how much doing something like that depreciates the value of the car. I'm pretty sure most know exactly what the cars were built for.

mhoover

Established Member
Maybe I can clarify a few things based on talking to the owner. This IS an original Thunderbolt, not a replica, so, if above info is correct, 1 of 60 left.

The owner has owned it since 1970. He raced it from 1972-1986. It sat in his garage until what you see now. He said they completely redid the chassis, bc it was out dated and in doing so went all out painting everything. Current setup has taken over 6 years to complete, start to 1st pass down the track. Every panel on the car is original from Ford. Aftermarket wheels/tires, a few aftermarket gauges and I will assume a few aftermarket pieces to the motor, suspension, etc.

You can say what you want to about this car and the owner but i guarantee he has had a ton of fun running the crap out of it and the way he talks he would not change a thing. If it was me I wouldn't care if the car was worth $50-100K less "chopped" bc if you can afford to own it in the first place, money is not you primary concern

Matt

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Barrett-jackson sold a replica thunderbolt for almost 100k. id bet an unmodified factory thunderbolt would fetch well over 250k, easy.

none the less, this car looks astounding and even if its a modified thunderbolt it still is a badass piece of machinery.

Sonic03BlueGT

Established Member
i would like to see the car set up in a little more 60's period style but i love that the car is still being raced. I would also bet my bottom dollar that the car was chopped all to hell back in the 60's or 70's when it was nothing more than a used factory hot rod that someone picked up for less than they could buy a new car for. It was built to run a quarter mile at a time and i'm glad to see it still doing it instead of it sitting in some climate controlled warehouse never to see daylight again or only pushed in and out of a trailer to its spot in a show field

mhoover

Established Member
Barrett-jackson sold a replica thunderbolt for almost 100k. id bet an unmodified factory thunderbolt would fetch well over 250k, easy.

none the less, this car looks astounding and even if its a modified thunderbolt it still is a badass piece of machinery.

I actually met a man this weekend that sold a replica on the Mecum auto auction for $100K. This was an SS/B car like the on above. I think $250K is well within reach from the factory point of view.

Sonic03BlueGT said:
i would like to see the car set up in a little more 60's period style but i love that the car is still being raced. I would also bet my bottom dollar that the car was chopped all to hell back in the 60's or 70's when it was nothing more than a used factory hot rod that someone picked up for less than they could buy a new car for. It was built to run a quarter mile at a time and i'm glad to see it still doing it instead of it sitting in some climate controlled warehouse never to see daylight again or only pushed in and out of a trailer to its spot in a show field

I also ran into the owner of the car I posted this past weekend at Indy and he said he would never want to put the car back to factory bc it would not be as much fun. The amount of fun he has racing it would easily outweigh the money he would receive selling it! He said It was built to race!

Matt

Sn95Snake

Established Member
To everyone bitching about this thing being a race car now.... keep in mind, this car was built in the day by men who built cars to go fast and nothing else. When cars where built to be cars, NOT COLLECTORS ITEMS. This is a factory drag car, and was meant to be raced and beat on. Built to be tweaked and modified by the owner to win.

The car apparently was bought and raced and that is what it looks like it has done. There are enough garage queen cars, and payment book hot rods out there that it is nice to see something like this that is still being used and looking damn good too.

x10

What an amazing car!

flattrack53

Established Member
Nice. Glad to see that the guy brought it back out to race after leaving it put up for so long.

I agree...If it is a real car it lost a lot of value. But he did a hell of a job on the car, I will give him that. Most of these cars were tubbed, straight front axles, holes drilled everywhere. So does it really matter? I mean, this car is a lot safer and a lot faster now. He doesn't care about driving it thats for sure! I am more into original thunderbolts then molested ones.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
as has been mentioned, another case of a rare, significant vehicle being vandalized when they could've done the same exact thing to a worthless 6 cylinder fairlane.
but shit that thing is mean...

When cars where built to be cars, NOT COLLECTORS ITEMS.
what the hell kind of logic is that??? 99% of things that are now deemed collectible were never built to be collectibles. this doesn't just apply to cars, it applies to about anything you can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread