63 furrious HP, motivating 450lbs of ugly - my new bike!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
63 furious HP, motivating 450lbs of ugly - my new bike!

just bought me an '81 honda CB650! she's ugly, she's slow, and she's old, but she runs great and i have some plans! picked it up for $900, runs great, has some dings and dents in the tank, tears in the ugly ass seat, and some electrical issue with the headlight, but overall in solid condition for a 30 year old bike in the rust belt!

47049.jpeg

47050.jpeg

i'm thinking a set of black supertrapp megaphones(and either black painted or wrapped headers)

47051.jpeg

yep, those tall ugly ass bars have gotta go. clip-ons?

47052.jpeg

some small dents - probably gonna need a new one of these... (the pic is forgiving)

47053.jpeg

yep, gonna have to fix that...

47054.jpeg

c'mon honda, that's just a gigantic piece of DISGUSTING

47055.jpeg

like i said, awful!!! that's gonna get fixed...

47056.jpeg

this seat is ugly as hell anyways, definitely gonna find something cooler

47057.jpeg

someone tell honda that this thing is supposed to look like a motorcycle, not a damn insect! antenna mirrors have gotta go!

and, my inspiration for the future...

47058.png

CB650 from Ugly Motorbikes

47059.jpeg

CB650 from Ralph Miller

Last edited:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I love cafe racers almost as much as I love bobbers. Thing should turn out really cool.

coposrv

Established Member
Cafe racers are just plain bad. Nice pick up I can see the potential.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
alright, been checking out my options for this thing and there is basically zilch in the aftermarket. the CB550 has a solid aftermarket and the CB750 has a solid aftermarket, but the CB650 has shit all available:cuss: i'm certainly not afraid of a grinder though, adapt and overcome!

bars:

so doing some reading, both clip-ons and the typical (ugly ass) cafe bars on these make for an uncomfortable ride for shorter people(which, at 5'5", i may or may not fall into that category:lol1:). however, i did find the normand hyde M style bar, which i think looks pretty good and is supposed to make for a really comfortable ride...
norman-hyde-m-bars-35-toronto_7851228.jpg

P4260022.jpg

...looks a SHIT load better than those ape hangers they put on there from the factory:rockon:
(and that's one KILLER CB750!)

seat/tail:

no seats available for these things, so either something will have to be adapted or i'll have to send the seat pan out for something custom. right now i'm looking at this one from benji's cafe racer...
47123.jpeg

47124.jpeg

...i'll admit, the profile is definitely a bit goofy looking(should be a little more 'bullet' shaped instead of so 'sausage' looking IMO), but i love the fact that it has the cafe look to it while still allowing for a passenger with the removable cowl taken off, and it also solves the absolutely ridiculous god awful massive ugly taillight problem too. at $620 it sure isn't cheap though(granted, it's a seat pan + seat + fiberglass cowl + taillight).
i'm not sure how much it would cost to strip the stock seat pan and have a custom seat made similar to that one(would [attempt to] make the removable cowl my self), but i'll probably check that out before i pull the trigger on the benji's set up.

exhaust:

so there is one single aftermarket exhaust system available for the 650, which is a 4 into 1 from mac...
PU2010601.jpg

...so i'm not sure if i want to go with that(in black like above - i'm not big on chrome), or if i should just paint/wrap the stock header and throw a set of supertrapp megaphones on there...
45825476_supertrapp-universal-4-megaphone-muffler---cruiser-.jpg

(again, in satin black) i've always thought supertrapps were pretty damn cool:rockon:

that stuff is a little ways off though, gotta get some routine maintenance out of the way first(plugs, carb rebuild, filters, valve lash, etc.). it runs great till you start getting into the upper RPM range(~8000RPM i believe, an attached tach needle would help significantly...), where it starts to stumble and pretty much stops climbing. pretty sure that's because one of the previous owners just straight up took the air filter out:bored: hopefully the local honda shop has one in stock, but i'm definitely not getting my hopes up about that...

oh and since it's soo slow make that ****er loud as hell for cagers.
yep, already been looking at exhaust options

Not bad at all. At first, I thought you were saying YOU weighed 450lbs, and I thought "this aint gonna be pretty".
LMAO, nah, i weigh about 130lbs:lol1: this bike is a bit of a pig for an old air cooled 650 though, can't wait to put her on a diet!

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
yes, for 900 bucks and it runs is great......love the way cafe racers look, keep us updated

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
That's pretty bad to the bone bro! As in I like it.

I want to pick a bike up just to cruise back and forth short distances. Are you going to get your class M?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
That's pretty bad to the bone bro! As in I like it.

I want to pick a bike up just to cruise back and forth short distances. Are you going to get your class M?
already got it last summer. took the 'ride ohio' course, which is basically the MSF basic riders course subsidized by O-DOT, so it's only $20 instead of $200. great course, i'd suggest everyone take it! this depends on the state, but at the end of it you take the riding test for your class M and if you pass it you get a card that you show to get the designation added to your license.

Users who are viewing this thread