6250 light stays on.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Need some direction here. I've searched but not finding cure to my issue.

I've been tuned, LT's, Off road H, for awhile now, so nothing new/different done to the car. The last few times out, I've noticed my 6250 RPM light is not going off.

Search turns up O2 sensor issue, loose connection. I'm running stock O2 without extensions, re routed factory wires.

Could a a sensor be going bad?? How can I find out?? Trip to dealer and put on computer??

Thanks

Ky GT500

Established Member
Yep, read all that. His was from a new install standpoint,,,mine has been in since last year with multiple miles driven with no issues,,now I've got the light staying on with no check engine light so no code to retrieve.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Does the car water temp gage work, does it come up to operating temperature? If not, check sensor and connection.

From the 2013 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement.

ENGINE OVER-REV
Note: Engine torque and maximum rpm are limited until coolant temperature reaches 170°F (77°C). Warm up is indicated when the redline indicator band starting point changes from 6250 rpm to 7000 rpm.
Your vehicle is equipped with an over-rev feature to increase the performance range of your Shelby GT500. When conditions permit, over-rev is indicated on the tachometer with redline marked at 7000 rpm.
If conditions limit over-rev accessibility, the band is illuminated red from 6250 rpm to 7000 rpm.
Once the engine is warm, the over-rev feature allows eight seconds above 6250 rpm up to 7000 rpm. If the eight second time limit is exceeded, the maximum engine rpm is reduced to 6250 rpm until both of the following
occurs:
• Engine is operated for at least 15 seconds below 6000 rpm
• Engine rpm falls below 5000 rpm.
Do not operate the engine at high rpm and low load for sustained periods of time, as damage may occur.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Location

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Location.jpg

Ky GT500

Established Member
Yep, it shows it's at operating temp,,,did the engineering test and it shows 90 Celsius = 190 Fahrenheit,plenty warm to turn the light off. Cars been flawless so far,,this has me baffled. Only thing I can come up with is defective O2 sensor.

Snoopy49

Established Member
It should have thrown a code. Have you checked for codes, maybe it didn't trip the check engine light.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
be sure the antifreeze is filled all the way. oil dipstick is all the way in and there are no leaks at the pcv or intake.

if the 02 is bad, I think your a/f meter would be stuck at 14 all the time?

Bad thermostat?

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe the rear O2's are turned off in the tune. I'm not sure exactly what turned off means though...maybe turned off enough to not throw a code.....but still on to monitor A/F and over rev.

I would replace both sensors.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Maybe the rear O2's are turned off in the tune. I'm not sure exactly what turned off means though...maybe turned off enough to not throw a code.....but still on to monitor A/F and over rev.

I would replace both sensors.

Why would the car have been doing fine since fall of last year, now all of a sudden, light stays on, if the rears were turned off in the tune?? Last time the tune was touched was when LT's went on and that was mid Fall. Car has run fine since a week of two ago when I noticed light staying on.

Ky GT500

Established Member
be sure the antifreeze is filled all the way. oil dipstick is all the way in and there are no leaks at the pcv or intake.

if the 02 is bad, I think your a/f meter would be stuck at 14 all the time?

Bad thermostat?

I'll check antifreeze tonight, already checked dipstick, it's good.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Why would the car have been doing fine since fall of last year, now all of a sudden, light stays on, if the rears were turned off in the tune?? Last time the tune was touched was when LT's went on and that was mid Fall. Car has run fine since a week of two ago when I noticed light staying on.

Maybe they have been slowly getting coated with carbon. Now they are covered enough to throw the code? Just throwing out ideas.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Maybe they have been slowly getting coated with carbon. Now they are covered enough to throw the code? Just throwing out ideas.

Now that makes sense,,,I wasn't discounting your idea,,just trying to figure it out,,,guess it was more of a question directed back to you. I need all the ideas I can get.

Derek5774

Established Member
Try changing the front 02 sensors
Check that they are plugged in all the way first

I have had a similar issue when one of my front O2's were going out

Don't worry about the rear O2's if you have no cats, they would be turned off in the tune

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
Howdy :)
Sorry to hear man.

Couple tips:
Check for a CEL/ DTC, Mine kept getting a DTC code and the CEL was not coming on.
Order 2 new O2 sensors (the fronts).

You can get them for much cheaper than you think from Tousley. Birddoc keeps a extra set on hand...

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread