600 rwhp (possible w/ported Eaton on)E85??`

89slowgt331

Established Member
I bet this will give you a good laugh. I have a Bachelor's degree in Biology, with a concentration in ecology and environmental biology!!!

haha, alot of the "Engineer's" in engine development did not have a degree in mechanical engineering, If you can act the part your good to go.

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
The point of e85 is the higher octane and thus the ability to run more boost. I'm fairly certain that running e85 on the the same boost you already have will not get you much if any gains. You could increase the compression of the engine and make 600+ with the eaton, but to get to 600 on the stock motor would mean you would need to spin that blower very very hard.

Most of the guys on here going to e85 are already running a blower that is capable of easily producing 20+ lbs of boost and running e85 give them ability to do so without detonating.

AirFlowEngineer

Established Member
Not really sure. I got interested in engine design around the age of 16. Studied it pretty religiously on my own since then. I took some engineering courses in college, got fairly decent with ProE in drawing pistons and other engine components. Volunteered in a machine shop for over a year, and learned to port heads, and build engines from some of the guys at ECR, was hired on after the year. Then decided to move on and use my degree, and start a career. Now I'm trying to get into natural resource management.

89slowgt331

Established Member
If your at the roush yates building, a guy I worked with is finishing up a yates headed 377 windsor, it was a I believe it was a 358" cup engine. going it a drag radial car. should run good this year. Do you know any of the guy's up in michigan?

89slowgt331

Established Member
I would PM jake on here badass03, he has one of the most agressive ported eaton combo's I have seen and recently started running E85, find out how much power he is making then take into account the extra drivetrain loss from his auto trans.
I dont know if he run's the car on the street or if it's track only though.

AirFlowEngineer

Established Member
has anybody tried cutting or milling down the rear of the eaton to make a larger more direct inlet out of sheetmetal or anything like that? ive always been curious if there would be any gains.

I thought that I had read somewhere on SVTP that the posi performance guy was working on something like this.

I have an interesting idea on modifying the stock Eaton to improve performance, but I'm not entirely sure it would be cost effective. I would like to weld the back side of the floor up in order to straighten out the floor of the inlet. I've noticed that all ported blowers have a slight uphill taper leading into the backside of the rotors. I don't know that this would improve the performance, but at least it will look a lot better cosmetically.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Quite a few people have tried it...built motor, higher compression, cams, etc, etc, etc.
I've never seen any legit data showing that anyone has ever made 600rwhp with an Eaton.
There was one shop that posted it years back, but for some reason there was never any
real data to back it up.

IMO, you're wasting your money if you try to do it. Just spend it wisely and buy a twin screw.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
The point of e85 is the higher octane and thus the ability to run more boost. I'm fairly certain that running e85 on the the same boost you already have will not get you much if any gains. You could increase the compression of the engine and make 600+ with the eaton, but to get to 600 on the stock motor would mean you would need to spin that blower very very hard.

Most of the guys on here going to e85 are already running a blower that is capable of easily producing 20+ lbs of boost and running e85 give them ability to do so without detonating.

Running e85 at the same boost levels WILL have an effect on his setup (timing). The advantage of e85 is octane but the real gains come from timing. So if he runs more timing (which e85 allows to) he can make more power. Also BADASS03SVT went from 93 (or race gas dont remember) to e85 and made good gains just by going to e85. Not to mention e85 burns cleaner.

I personally think if you want to try it go ahead, but you will probably end up with a TS anyway since you're planing on running 600+rwhp

cobracide

Established Member
Like unit was saying, if you want 600 - just get a twin screw. An Eaton is maxed price to performance at low 500's ported with a single blade TB/plenum. That's really all you're going to get. Everything else would benefit any blower - ie cams, meth, killer chiller..

Last edited:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
It is VERY possible to get 600 with an eaton on a max effort build. And, with e85, I think we will see a few in the next few years.

I recently finished my engine build and it made 567/555 on 91 octane with only 17* of timing and 11.4 a/f ratio. My elevation s 3300, and the DA that way was 4500. It also had belt slip and spark blowout on the dyno. Now that I have fixed those issues, I am due for a retune. Hopefully in the next couple weeks.

my setup:
posi port
2.65"/4lb
ported dragon
heavily worked lower intake
cnc navi heads
comp stg 2 cams
284cid, 9.5:1

cbr repsol

Established Member
I think its possible but not on a stock engine. ported heads and cams will help you get there. imo a waste of time u can buy a ts and put out 600rwhp on a stock motor.....so much win with a ts

89slowgt331

Established Member
I thinks james hell got close to 600, but he used his kit to retrofit a m122 from a gt500 on his cobra.

power numbers are just number's I dont care what a dyno say's if the car run's good and i enjoy it regardless of the number.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I thinks james hell got close to 600, but he used his kit to retrofit a m122 from a gt500 on his cobra.

power numbers are just number's I dont care what a dyno say's if the car run's good and i enjoy it regardless of the number.

he made 550 unported with a 2.76 pulley on pump gas. with some race gas mixed in, a posi port and 4lb lower it made 613. yes, it was the m122 from a gt500.

cobracide

Established Member
I just have to say that a DIFFERENT BLOWER such as the M122 is not valid. We are (Thought) we were talking about the M112 on a 4.6L 4v Ford Mustang Cobra @ 2003-4..

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
has anybody tried cutting or milling down the rear of the eaton to make a larger more direct inlet out of sheetmetal or anything like that? ive always been curious if there would be any gains.

Yep there's nothing there. Tried what you're saying pretty much and even made a Dragon plenum to feed it. Car showed no gains compared to a regular Race Port. Same day testing and car stayed strapped down on the dyno.

Hey guys. I've been on a long hiatus. Recently divorced. Noooow I am back in to the car. I am looking at switching to E85.

With a 2.76 upper, 4# lower on a Steg Stage 5 with crower stage 3 cams and exhaust would 600rwhp be feasible with E85???

Just food for thought for now...

What tb/plenum combo are you running? Has to be a Dragon on the Eaton if you're wanting the most hp/tq you can get out of it.

I think it's definitely possible. I recently ported a close friend's Eaton, and he made 550 horsepower and 580 foot pounds, with a 2.81 upper and 4 pound lower on 93 pump fuel. He's running Kooks 1.750 long tubes with a 3 inch collector, a 3 inch cat-less mid pipe, and a 2.5 inch Borla Stinger cat-back. We had a few people on here tell us that there was no way it could be done, but we did it! In order to make that kind of power with an Eaton and E85, the camshaft selection is going to be very critical. I do believe that it can be achieved. I have been talking to my friend about doing a cam and spring upgrade, and see if it can be done on 93 pump fuel. Don't let anyone on here tell you it's not possible. If it hasn't been attempted yet; how do you know it's not possible. Be unique and go for it! I'd love to see someone make 600 horsepower on an Eaton setup, without N20.

I'd love to see pictures of the blower you ported to see what all was done. Porting these things isn't Rocket Science but you gotta spend a ton of time on some very crucial areas or the car won't make max power and it'll hit its peak earlier in the rpm range and drop hp right after it without carrying it out. How much work did you do where the air enters the rotors? Did you work on the roofs transition or the rotor lead-ins on the floor? Did you drop the entire floor because you mentioned you would like to try it? By the way it doesn't do anything.

What tb/plenum combo was on the car and was it ported as well?

Plenty of people are unique and hope for even more than 550hp but typically they fall short. It takes every single mod known and a very thought out setup to get more hp out of an Eaton than everyone else gets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread