6.2 SOHC Raptor Fox vs. 2009 TVS GT500 630 rwhp and 2012 2.9 Whipple Coyote 590 rwhp

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
How was it not a handout? They were bankrupt, meaning they had no other option besides begging the government for help because they were 'too big to fail'. If anyone is naive it's you. Ford would have financed elsewhere but the rates the government gave them were unbeatable, probably so the government could try and get their claws in Ford as they did with GM and Chrysler if they failed as those companies did. Also, Ford didn't want the competition to have the upper hand due to the huge influx of funds.

http://useconomy.about.com/od/criticalssues/a/auto_bailout.htm

"Ford's Bailout Proposal
Ford requested a $9 billion line-of-credit from the government, and a $5 billion loan from the Energy Department. It pledged to accelerate development of both hybrid and battery-powered vehicles, retool plants to increase production of smaller cars, close dealerships, and sell Volvo. Ford is in better shape than the other two because it had already mortgaged its assets in 2006 to raise $24.5 billion. Although Ford didn't need, and didn't receive any funds, it also didn't want its competition to get the upper hand thanks to the government bailout."

If Ford didn't need the money I doubt they would have taken it.

A handout implies that GM isn't paying it back. So far they've paid 39 of the 49 billion back to the Fed's. It would be more but the Fed's wanted some stock options as part of the compensation return, and the stock prices haven't returned to pre-recession levels. Not exactly a handout.

Last edited:

94_Vert

Established Member
How was it not a handout? They were bankrupt, meaning they had no other option besides begging the government for help because they were 'too big to fail'.

Hand·out

ˈhandˌout/
noun
noun: handout; plural noun: handouts; noun: hand-out; plural noun: hand-outs

Definition
1. something given free to a needy person or organization.

It was not given freely, it was a loan, of which they have paid back 80% so far.

I'm not arguing that the Fed's didn't help GM, just that Ford also took money, and it wasn't a handout, it was a loan.

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
Hand·out

ˈhandˌout/
noun
noun: handout; plural noun: handouts; noun: hand-out; plural noun: hand-outs

Definition
1. something given free to a needy person or organization.

It was not given freely, it was a loan, of which they have paid back 80% so far.

I'm not arguing that the Fed's didn't help GM, just that Ford also took money, and it wasn't a handout, it was a loan.

So if I were to file bankruptcy on a company that I own, where would I find a bank that would loan me money to save the company? That's right, no where, because no person in their right mind would loan money to a failing/bankrupt company.

You are right, the money itself wasn't a handout.....The gesture of giving the loan to a bankrupt company WAS a government handout, though. Ford was not bankrupt.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Those videos leave much to be desired. Looks fast as hell but need some pics of the car and engine to really excite me. I can't see much of anything

Sick car though

94_Vert

Established Member
So if I were to file bankruptcy on a company that I own, where would I find a bank that would loan me money to save the company? That's right, no where, because no person in their right mind would loan money to a failing/bankrupt company.

You are right, the money itself wasn't a handout.....The gesture of giving the loan to a bankrupt company WAS a government handout, though. Ford was not bankrupt.

I guess if your company did $150 billion in sales annually the government might be inclined to help you out. Seeing as all of the pensions that would default, and other businesses that might fold as well, i.e. part suppliers, especially if these same suppliers helped supply other automakers. As well as all of the tax revenue you would generate also. But I'm guessing you don't own such a business.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
So because you're proven wrong you resort to insults? Well done, point made sharply.

I guess if your company did $150 billion in sales annually the government might be inclined to help you out. Seeing as all of the pensions that would default, and other businesses that might fold as well, i.e. part suppliers, especially if these same suppliers helped supply other automakers. As well as all of the tax revenue you would generate also. But I'm guessing you don't own such a business.

Last edited:

94_Vert

Established Member
So because you're proven wrong you result to insults? Well done, point made sharply.

I think you mean 'resort' to insults, and I don't know what you're talking about. I was replying to Buddy17, not you, and I was simply continuing the illustration he started about him owning a business.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Can't we all just get along? lol. Who cares, the 6.2 LS3 is a badass motor just like the 6.2 SOHC. Both have heads that'll go 400 cfm and platforms that'll easily surpass 800 hp. I just prefer the blue oval approach and being different. What other stock shortblock platform can produce 9 second power naturally aspirated at 3000 lb on pump gas? Back on topic.......

Users who are viewing this thread