6.0 PS Diesel Mechanic gurus in here!

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
I have a 2005 Ford F250 FX4 with the 6.0 diesel in it. The engine idles rough and pulls like a dog. The check engine light is off so I get no codes. The truck only blows the occasional black smoke under hard accelaration which I assume is normal.
Im not sure exaclty where to start looking for the culprit. Any suggestions as to what it might be??

Thanks in adavnce!

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
not a mechanic but I used to be a dozer operator for many a day. The symptom you describe sounds like a dirty fuel filter. Was always changing out fuel filters

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
I've run into issues where the variable turbocharger gets gummed up and the vanes won't change pitch. This wont cause the missfire though. Pressure check the EGR cooler/ coolant system. They are notorious for having them leaking. Will cause a miss and to run like POO. There are service bullitens put out by IHC/ Navistar to make sure that we don't pull the heads when we find coolant in the exhaust.

Unless you really like the truck, sell it. Navistar was so proud of that motor, they quit making it.

wicked90lx

Established Member
Just because the CEL isnt on doesnt mean that there isnt a code. only about 25% of the DTC set will turn the light on. Highly doubt its a EGR issue or you would have stated a lot on white smoke, if a egr valve was stuck open truck either wouldnt run or will not have enought power to even move... If it idles rought im sure u have a injector so bad that the pcm can not make up for. When dealing with 6.0 throw away any scan tool other then IDS. my advice is to take it to a dealer so they can check power balance and relative compression with IDS so u dont piss money away. Just my $.02

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
Deffinately take it to the dealer. You already wasted more money buying the fuel pump than it would have cost to have it diagnosed. Our dealer charges 89.95 for diag. Find out whats wrong by someone who knows what they are looking at.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Just because the CEL isnt on doesnt mean that there isnt a code. only about 25% of the DTC set will turn the light on. Highly doubt its a EGR issue or you would have stated a lot on white smoke, if a egr valve was stuck open truck either wouldnt run or will not have enought power to even move... If it idles rought im sure u have a injector so bad that the pcm can not make up for. When dealing with 6.0 throw away any scan tool other then IDS. my advice is to take it to a dealer so they can check power balance and relative compression with IDS so u dont piss money away. Just my $.02

+1

I am still a "newb" at diesels (I have been a 6.0/6.4 ford tech for ~3yrs) but I can't tell you how many times I have had trucks come in running roug/bad/lack of power, with no CEL on.

Since you state no abnormal smoke, you can rule out basically anything egr related. There is a possibility of a small high pressure oil leak, but most of the time, they will not start when warm if there is a leak. So, without seeing the truck, injector would be my first guess.

It will only cost you an hour of labor to take it in to get diagnosed, if you do not want to do the repair (friggin expensive parts from ford, and high labor rates.) We charge 3hrs for one injector (either side). I believe customer pay is almost $300 per injector from ford.

Users who are viewing this thread