6.0 2500HD, will a Cam pass the sniffer?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Looking at rebuilding the 6L in my 2500HD and going with a Chopacabra Cam from TSP.

California Commies in charge of PHX require annual emissions on +2500 trucks and it's on the rollers.

Is this a deal breaker?

Roush6018

Established Member
When there is a truck in need of a rebuild in California, the smog program and all mechanics want to see you replace/rebuild the engine with stock parts , the engine in there was working when it was new so why wouldn't you want to replace it with a stock engine that runs like new? so changing the cam and that will change the idle, it will run harder than stock too. the tech will notice the cam because every car or truck they smog they want it to be stock.

when the smog program was "new " it was easy to pass , however they got smarter recently and its all in a effort to discourage any mods at all.

its only fair i recommend a full cam and heads swap, 427 stroker from TSP with long tube headers, then bolt on some mid pipe with 4 cats maybe 6 cats maybe 8 cats, then drive to your smog Bro and put it on the rollers and pass, then drive home and put on the midpipe with 2 hi-flow cats and drive it however you want. make sure you run mufflers or resonators to keep the noise under the radar.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I am in mohave county now and we are emissions exempt; BUT if the vehicle is regularly seen in phoenix it runs the risk of getting popped.
If @Corbic wants to risk it there’s always registering it up here
How would they know it's not registered in Mohave unless they're running his plates all the time? I would imagine having AZ plates would lower the suspicion level quite a bit.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Looking at rebuilding the 6L in my 2500HD and going with a Chopacabra Cam from TSP.

California Commies in charge of PHX require annual emissions on +2500 trucks and it's on the rollers.

Is this a deal breaker?

Im not familiar with that cam but im 100% confident that an OEM cam upgrade like a GM "hot cam" or something along those lines would pass.

Further -- 2000+ model year vehlcis do not hit the rollers in CA.. it is a plug into the OBD2 port only to check for monitor readiness and verify no check engine light. That's it.

Are you sure this truck has to be on the rollers in Phoenix? If so, that is more stringent than CA.

wckdvnm

Established Member
When there is a truck in need of a rebuild in California, the smog program and all mechanics want to see you replace/rebuild the engine with stock parts , the engine in there was working when it was new so why wouldn't you want to replace it with a stock engine that runs like new? so changing the cam and that will change the idle, it will run harder than stock too. the tech will notice the cam because every car or truck they smog they want it to be stock.

when the smog program was "new " it was easy to pass , however they got smarter recently and its all in a effort to discourage any mods at all.

its only fair i recommend a full cam and heads swap, 427 stroker from TSP with long tube headers, then bolt on some mid pipe with 4 cats maybe 6 cats maybe 8 cats, then drive to your smog Bro and put it on the rollers and pass, then drive home and put on the midpipe with 2 hi-flow cats and drive it however you want. make sure you run mufflers or resonators to keep the noise under the radar.

AZ smog and cali smog are worlds apart. I believe as long as monitors pass and and it can pass the sniffer you are fine. It may be possible to have it tuned so it passes as I saw many cammed vehicles when I went through downtown phoenix, corvettes, camaros and such.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
How would they know it's not registered in Mohave unless they're running his plates all the time? I would imagine having AZ plates would lower the suspicion level quite a bit.
I'm going to +1 on this. I really can't imagine how anyone would know unless a LEO had it out for you and was looking.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Are you sure this truck has to be on the rollers in Phoenix? If so, that is more stringent than CA.

Yup, I've had to do it twice now. Every June. All "Commerical Vehicles, Diesels and Heavy Trucks" which apparently is GVW over 8,500lbs of course I come up as 8,869 in their system.

OBD II would be stupid easy to pass.

Truck is a 2005 2500HD.

PXL_20230502_021330481.jpg

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
AZ smog and cali smog are worlds apart. I believe as long as monitors pass and and it can pass the sniffer you are fine. It may be possible to have it tuned so it passes as I saw many cammed vehicles when I went through downtown phoenix, corvettes, camaros and such.

We don't have any visual inspections.

OBD II cars pass a ready check and a evap leak test.

If you don't have an engine light and don't have systems turned off (EGR, O2, etc) you'll pass.

If you are over 8,500 GVW, it's the above and also onto to the rollers you go, and it's every year instead of every two years.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

No idea on the level of monitoring the traffic cams and red light cams do. I drive past 3 daily.

Certianly better idea than getting Montana, Indiana or Michigan plates.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yup, I've had to do it twice now. Every June. All "Commerical Vehicles, Diesels and Heavy Trucks" which apparently is GVW over 8,500lbs of course I come up as 8,869 in their system.

OBD II would be stupid easy to pass.

Truck is a 2005 2500HD.

Dude that is terrible! Damn.

So much for moving to AZ lol

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Dude that is terrible! Damn.

So much for moving to AZ lol

****ing Californians. Houses ain't even cheap. What you paid for your new place ain't far off from what that would cost here in a decent area.

$500k gets you a shit 3 bedroom in a crappy neighborhood with no yard these days.

wckdvnm

Established Member
No idea on the level of monitoring the traffic cams and red light cams do. I drive past 3 daily.

Certianly better idea than getting Montana, Indiana or Michigan plates.

Ask around down there and see how frequently they check. From what I read on the MVD site if the vehicle is regularly in phoenix it has to be smogged; I live up in mohave county and can help you out getting it registered here if the need be and you want to do that. From what I have seen and heard in the car community up here is AZ’s smog is much easier to pass as long as it has no CEL and if the car is tuned to pass a sniffer.

Phoenix being a hotter LA in both look and layout is the main reason I chose the red counties up in the north of the state. I wanted free reign of being able to do what I wanted to the cobra or any of my vehicles.

wckdvnm

Established Member
****ing Californians. Houses ain't even cheap. What you paid for your new place ain't far off from what that would cost here in a decent area.

$500k gets you a shit 3 bedroom in a crappy neighborhood with no yard these days.

Also tell me about it; the cancer that they are is spreading here too but much slower as most here don’t take kindly to Californian’s myself included. The lack of “fun things” to do here helps keep some dissuaded but the proximity to vegas seems to be drawing them in.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Its nuts that they require the rollers for anything under 10,000 GVWR. I believe even the feds only require it for 10K and up GVWR.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Just look for a place in Mohave county. More than likely that's where we'll be moving when the time comes.

Kingman is probably the best city in the county as it never gets over 110 in the summer. Havasu and bullhead are furnaces regularly getting over 120. Kingman also has a mountain range that gets to 8k feet and regularly gets snow and is 10-15 minutes from town.
Every family member from cali swore it would be hot and we’d hate it but I love it here besides all the liberals who come and go.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Kingman is probably the best city in the county as it never gets over 110 in the summer. Havasu and bullhead are furnaces regularly getting over 120. Kingman also has a mountain range that gets to 8k feet and regularly gets snow and is 10-15 minutes from town.
Every family member from cali swore it would be hot and we’d hate it but I love it here besides all the liberals who come and go.
I lived in Havasu in high school and for a couple years after. I even landscaped while I was there. We have a family home there so the plan is to retire there. That's where the boat is anyway.

wckdvnm

Established Member
I lived in Havasu in high school and for a couple years after. I even landscaped while I was there. We have a family home there so the plan is to retire there. That's where the boat is anyway.

Honestly that’s the only good part of havasu. I just have a disdain for the heat down there in mid summer. But once monsoon season kicks off the county as a whole cools off just gets humid. Bullhead was the first place I experienced 114 degrees at 11pm and was shocked people want to live there lol. I’ll stick to my 110 degrees during the day because at least at night it drops lol

Users who are viewing this thread