5w20 or ?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
How many 2011+ guys have switched to the amsoil ATM 10W-30? I need to change my oil here pretty soon and I'm thinking of making the switch to this. Is this oil alright to be driven durning winter months? We get down into the 20-30's at times in the winter. Also going to be pulling the converter out of my car to get it restalled so I'll probably change to the amsoil ATF too.

When looking at the viscosity curve, Amsoil ATM 10W-30 flows about the same as any off the shelf 5W-30. Your North Carolina winters should not be any problem.

If you have any worries, AZO 0W-30 has been proven to not shear in 500 rwhp Terminators.

N20JUNKY

Established Member
When looking at the viscosity curve, Amsoil ATM 10W-30 flows about the same as any off the shelf 5W-30. Your North Carolina winters should not be any problem.

If you have any worries, AZO 0W-30 has been proven to not shear in 500 rwhp Terminators.

Awesome, picked some up at lunch time today. I need to pay to be a preferred customer I spent $101 on 8qts

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
The only reason they put 5w20 under the cap is due to CAFE Restrictions in the US. Our engines with the same PTW clearance in other countries EG. Australia for instance call for a 5w30. You're honestly doing your car justice by using 5w30. You're doing the right thing, smart choice.

Does the 5w-30 apply to the 3v motors too?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Last edited:

mechanicboy

Established Member
I'm going to throw an oddball out there for consideration. I have a 2012 5.0 in my SuperCrew 4x4 F-150 that I'm putting American Racing 1 7/8" headers and the Magnuson supercharger system on. I already have these parts, so this is serious. I do occasionally tow, it will see some track use, some 4 wheeling, and I see temperatures from about 10 degrees(snow trips) to 115 degrees F(it did this 2 weeks ago here) almost every year.
The 5.0 in the F-150 does have oil squirtters on the pistons and engine oil cooler. It also have the tow package so it has and external transmission cooler.

What oil would you recommend? I change my oil every 5k to 7500 miles regardless of the OLM.

Users who are viewing this thread