5w20 or ?

JasonF1234

Established Member
I have a 2013 mustang gt with a roush supercharger and I use amsoil 5w20 sso. I live in the south where it gets really hot down here in the summer should I use a heavier oil or stick to 5w/20?

Sorry I found a post on the subject and I don't know how to delete this post.

Last edited:

milgt

Established Member
I see you found a post on it but I'm curious as to what you decided to do. Sticking with the 5w20 or ?

Rob Nelson

Established Member
Been running the Amsoil 0w-30 in my 5.0 for about 5,000 miles and love it. The motor is quieter at idle and get on average .5-1 mpg better mileage than the motorcraft 5w-20... Highly recommend the Amsoil 0w-30 for the 5.0 applications that see a wide range of temps. UnleashedBeast recommendations are TOP NOTCH.

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
Been running the Amsoil 0w-30 in my 5.0 for about 5,000 miles and love it. The motor is quieter at idle and get on average .5-1 mpg better mileage than the motorcraft 5w-20... Highly recommend the Amsoil 0w-30 for the 5.0 applications that see a wide range of temps. UnleashedBeast recommendations are TOP NOTCH.

...sorry, but this makes me laugh. There are so many variables that can change fuel economy by .5-1. It's like the civic crowd saying they feel a difference from their k&n...though maybe they do because they double their HP.. :bowdown:

saunupe1911

Established Member
Good question, how well does the 5W-20 Amsoil do against other competitor such as 5W-20 Mobil Extended Full Synthetic? I would like to stick with 5W-20 untill more data comes out proving another viscosity is significantly better for year round driving.

I ask this question because I've researched the threads and have found 10w-30 is best for the south, but it gets cold in north texas so that a no go for me. Next 0w-30 is supposedly good for year round but I'm iffy on that. So 5w-20 seems to be the sweet spot for a GT. Someone correct if I'm wrong

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
...sorry, but this makes me laugh. There are so many variables that can change fuel economy by .5-1. It's like the civic crowd saying they feel a difference from their k&n...though maybe they do because they double their HP.. :bowdown:

You make ME laugh. It's been documented by many owners after the switch, even those reporting to Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG, that Amsoil Signature Series showed an increase in documented efficiency.

So what would you recommend in sig series amsol

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is, the oil only has to be changed once a year, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. Amsoil RD30 excluded.

8 quart fill (Coyote GT)
8.5 quart fill (Track Pack GT & Boss 302)

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, no matter the climate….use this.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures and is lightly modded....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this.

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you road race your car....use this.

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, especially E85 fuel engines...use this. This lubricant must be changed every 6 months or 5,000 miles, whichever occur first.

Amsoil EaO17 - This oil filter outperforms any filter on the market

If you have the 6R80 automatic 6 speed, this stuff will make it survive the worst torture.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 2 quarts

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all four ounces

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - we have dedicated UOA threads to compare everyone's reports.

UOA thread

Buy Amsoil at cost by becoming a preferred customer

Preferred Customer

Good question, how well does the 5W-20 Amsoil do against other competitor such as 5W-20 Mobil Extended Full Synthetic?

No comparison. Mobil one uses cheaper a base stock and not as robust additive package. Mile for mile, Amsoil beats it.

Pennzoil Ultra is a FAR better choice than Mobil 1 EP.

I ask this question because I've researched the threads and have found 10w-30 is best for the south, but it gets cold in north texas so that a no go for me. Next 0w-30 is supposedly good for year round but I'm iffy on that. So 5w-20 seems to be the sweet spot for a GT. Someone correct if I'm wrong

Reference the list above, there are many factors. 5W-20 has a place in the Mustang.

I use ALM in my 2012 Focus. After 11,000 miles....it still has 50% life remaining.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If it is written that the engine uses 5w20, why would you use anything else?

If it's stock 100% and driven like a grandma, that's all I would use. However, most people here have added power enhancing mods that increase pressure on the bearings that will benefit from a slightly higher film strength.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
This '04 cobra I have indicates 5w20 on the filler cap under hood....but I've been running mobil one XP 5w30 since I bought the car 2.5 yrs ago. The car dynoed 714/680 about 4 weeks ago....the previous time it was dynoed was 2009 and it made 714/650. The car runs E85. 5w30 doesn't appear to be hurting anything lol

SVTDice

Established Member
This '04 cobra I have indicates 5w20 on the filler cap under hood....but I've been running mobil one XP 5w30 since I bought the car 2.5 yrs ago. The car dynoed 714/680 about 4 weeks ago....the previous time it was dynoed was 2009 and it made 714/650. The car runs E85. 5w30 doesn't appear to be hurting anything lol

The only reason they put 5w20 under the cap is due to CAFE Restrictions in the US. Our engines with the same PTW clearance in other countries EG. Australia for instance call for a 5w30. You're honestly doing your car justice by using 5w30. You're doing the right thing, smart choice.

N20JUNKY

Established Member
How many 2011+ guys have switched to the amsoil ATM 10W-30? I need to change my oil here pretty soon and I'm thinking of making the switch to this. Is this oil alright to be driven durning winter months? We get down into the 20-30's at times in the winter. Also going to be pulling the converter out of my car to get it restalled so I'll probably change to the amsoil ATF too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread