5th gear is gone.. time for a new tranny..

GoneN60

Established Member
Went out of town to visit some relatives yesterday and wasnt driving to crazy. I did some hard pulls to go around a few cars but only using 3rd and 4th. On the way home from there house I went in to 5th and it made a grinding noise and had to force it in.I never really had any issues with 5th gear besides the usual once in a while WOT runs and 5th lockout.I never bang 5th gear hard only 2nd,3 and 4. Yesterday I never banged fifth gear and it was working fine. Why would it start grinding all of a sudden? From my understanding its the syncro but this wasnt a gradual worsening problem?

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
It almost sounds like a broken shift fork if you never had issues before. My Camaro did the same thing, everything was fine then all of a sudden it would not go into a gear. Pulled the trans and bam, broken shift fork.

GoneN60

Established Member
Wow.. Were you not able to get it into 5th at all or did it grind then pop into 5th?

twistedneck

Established Member
pull the trans and send it to Liberty in Michigan. They can rebuild an MT82 with all new syncros and race type hardware for about $1500 if you don't go exotic. Much better shifting stronger trans in the end, if you are running NA no reason to get the Magnum trans swap. its heavier and does not have the 5 usable forward gears.

Users who are viewing this thread