59 Bel Air vs 09 Malibu

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
I didn't see this posted, interesting.

This is a sick way for the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) to “celebrate” its 50th anniversary, but we do love us some crash test video. Apparently, “the driver of the 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air would have been killed instantly while the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu’s driver would walk away with a minor knee injury.” As someone who suffers with that affliction (head fake Bob), I’d ask the IIHS to define “minor” and will henceforth avoid speeding to my local car show in a 1959 Bel Air. Meanwhile, note to the IIHS: in fifty years you couldn’t have added sound? Gary Numan’s Cars, anyway. [Thanks to DC Car Examiner for the link.]

IIHS: 2009 Chevy Malibu vs. 1959 Chevy Bel Air (Just Because They Can) | The Truth About Cars

:eek:

Raven519

Established Member
interesting yes...stupid yes...why wreck a nice car like that to prove something we all knew already?

cars may be safer, but they certainly don't look as good as they used too...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That '59 was from the Clunker Program I think. LOL! Shame to destroy an old classic like that for a test, but man, that car got destroyed. I honestly didn't expect it to be that bad. Wow!

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I've been looking for a 59 chevy to buy:(

Im kinda suprised by that I figured the old lead sled would have held up better than that.

Users who are viewing this thread