(56K) The coldest place on Earth*

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
*well, not exactly, but it damn sure felt like it at 2ºF and ice for as far as you could see. Two Sundays ago I went to Michigan for a visit with my family. The day I was driving home was the day Virginia (and pretty much the entire east side of the country) was experiencing those 40MPH winds and the drastic temperature change. This said weather is what contributed to the following pictures. Anyways, upon my return to Michigan, we got the stupid idea to walk out onto the pier to see how iced up the lighthouse was. The pictures speak for themselves...

This is a picture of one of the signal lights covered in ice:
IMG_0779.gif

This is how the lake froze. That is a giant pile of ice that's probably at least 40 foot thick that spans the entire shore. This is the first I've ever seen Lake Michigan this frozen:
IMG_0780.gif

The lighthouse was covered in ~15' of ice:
IMG_0787.gif

IMG_0788.gif

IMG_0790.gif

Yours truly:
IMG_0801.gif

IMG_0810.gif

This is the inlet to the marina:
IMG_0821.gif

IMG_0830.gif

IMG_0835.gif

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
Awesome pictures...what part of Michigan? Somewhere in the upper lower half? You can find ice like that every year in the Upper Peninsula off of Lake Superior.

fastlightning58

Established Member
Those are some cool pics. It's funny to see that because just yesturday afternoon after work i took out my boat and went spear fishing for a couple hours. CRAZY!

The Foe Hammer

Established Member
Damn is that in the States???:eek:

I thought it was in Antartica or some damn where. Hell no. I don't see how people can live in those extremes. Hell, if it gets in 40s down here we are freezing....:-D

Raymond

slower than you
Established Member
I wear a similar hoody/jeans combo when it drops below 70 here in Miami, I really don't know how you guys do it. Awesome pictures though!

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
Nice pictures! I like seeing things like that. It never fails to amaze me.

What part of MICHIGAN do you have family? I am not too far from Lake Huron.

I visit my friends in Grand Rapids and I know that is near Lake Michigan.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, those are some of the most interesting and artistic pics I've even seen. If I was anywhere near Lake Michigan I'd drive there in a heartbeat to get some pics like that. Awesome!

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Thanks everyone!

I really like the last two pics.

Thanks, those are my two favorite too.

Must be a site to see in person, damn.

Indeed it was. The pictures really don't do it justice. Maybe it would look colder if the camera could bottle up some of the cold somehow!

You're the first (of many) people I've met from Hampton Roads who can handle the cold!

Haha, that's the "Michigan born & raised" coming into play.

Awesome pictures...what part of Michigan? Somewhere in the upper lower half? You can find ice like that every year in the Upper Peninsula off of Lake Superior.

Actually, I'm from Kalamazoo, but those picture were taken in South Haven--about 45 minutes west. The more north you go in the state of Michigan, the icier it gets!

Cool pics. You sure are dressed lightly for as cold as it is or was.

Yeah, it was slightly impromptu.

Damn is that in the States???:eek:

I thought it was in Antartica or some damn where. Hell no. I don't see how people can live in those extremes. Hell, if it gets in 40s down here we are freezing....:-D

I'd rather be cold than hot any day...

Nice pictures! I like seeing things like that. It never fails to amaze me.

What part of MICHIGAN do you have family? I am not too far from Lake Huron.

I visit my friends in Grand Rapids and I know that is near Lake Michigan.

Kalamazoo

Users who are viewing this thread