522 rwhp Naturally Aspirated 2011 5.0

itSSlow98

Established Member
How much for all the parts to do this? $$ Just trying to do a NA vs Supercharger analysis costs/benefits.
HP per dollar, boost will kick ass for a 500+hp car
....with what compession ratio? What does it run in the 1/4 mile?

Revolution Automotive goes high 10s@126-127 with there all motor 2011 that made 522rwhp on the stock bottom end. Been doing it for like a year now.

Highway Star

Established Member
that car looks fantastic on the outside and I LOVE that you were different and went NA, it really reps the coyote and showcases that this is not a motor that NEEDS boost to make power. As for the interior, as long as you like it that's what matter, but honestly, it looks like you have a blanket laying on top of the dash.

Lol If you saw it in person I think some of you would like the interior better. It is the same stuff they use in Lamborghini's and Ferrari's. Cool in Summer and warm in winter. But I warn you. It is a high wearing colorfast synthetic suede. When I get out of the car on a windy day I electrocute the first person I touch and it is not a pleasant experience for me either.

As for the dash cover. I had it made with some extra material that I had. It is not molded to the dash because I did not want my upholsterer taking the dash apart. It is held on with velcro and is still a work in progress.

Those of you that have pointed out that boost is a cheaper alternative. That is undoubtedly true. I could have obviously done that. But this car is not built for stoplight to stoplight street racing. It is for extended performance through canyon/ mountain roads and on track. Blower brings added heat, added weight over my front axle and lower performance for my objectives. If the quarter mile is your thing than blower is your best alternative. I think the N/A way i have chosen is better for track and for longevity. Plus I can just spin this engine and being able to use the whole powerband is just incredible.

With regard to the long pull. The pull was not made at wide open throttle / quarter mile race pace. This engine had only 500 miles on it when we did the pull so we might have built into it a little slow. But it does build tension. I assure you that if I step into it in 5th it will get to 7700 rpm quite quickly,

A lot of people have asked about cost. I sent the heads to Livernois $1300 for them $300 for ups. Cams were $1600 Short block rebuild with forged everything, deck plate honed, line bored, balanced, blueprinted etc . . . about $5000. Springs, Intake manifold, steeda cold air intake conversion, Boss Oil Pan, Oil cooler and other misc. about $1000.

Thats about it for the raw materials

Borla's are S type but bad news is that I just took them off and put stock mufflers back on to keep peace with my neighbors and truth be told they were wearing on me a bit. Car was extremely loud as you heard. I still hear engine.

As to the quarter mile, I have no idea what it does or what it could do. It has aTorsen T2r differential and they don't like drag racing very much. But the Torsen is the single greatest mod I have made. Just straightens the rear end coming out of corners. I built the car for track days at Willow Springs and it is not complete yet. I will be adding a Cortex Watts Link. Pilot Super Sports are going on Tuesday. Brake cooling kit

Kept the compression ratio the same because I have to run on cruddy California 91 Octane. T

There are some pistons that are made to accomodate the Squirters but given that we intended to spin this engine to 8000 rpm, oil squirters were not preferred as they increase windage at high rpms. And with forged internals I am not so worried about the extra longevity oil squirters may have provided the internals under the previous configurations.

Amazing thing about the cammed idle is that there is none. Barely noticeable. The engine runs incredibly smooth. Smooth as Stock just a lot more powerful. I expected the car to sound rude at idle but sorry to disappoint,it doesn't.

Last edited:

Highway Star

Established Member
Did several pulls

I assume you did another pull to confirm the 500rwhp number?

We did about ten pulls in the process of tuning it. Very first pull it did was 502 HP. The last pull was what you saw there, 522. This is a load bearing dyno like a Mustang dyno. To give you an idea of the conservative numbers this dyno produces, the car stock pulled 350 rwhp and 320 rwt.

Picture are of the Borlas. I just changed to stock mufflers yesterday.

Highway Star

Established Member
It is what it is.

Isn't that torque number a bit low for a 522hp motor?

Dyno is not generous regarding torque or horsepower. Check out the torque curve and you will see that peak torque is made at around 6550 rpm. That is how we get to the horsepower. Torque increases all through the rev range from stock. However biggest increase is between 4000-7700 rpm.

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
Dyno is not generous regarding torque or horsepower. Check out the torque curve and you will see that peak torque is made at around 6550 rpm. That is how we get to the horsepower. Torque increases all through the rev range from stock. However biggest increase is between 4000-7700 rpm.
My next question was going to be why do hp and torque appear to cross at 7250 instead of 5250?

Highway Star

Established Member
My next question was going to be why do hp and torque appear to cross at 7250 instead of 5250?

Look at the vertical axis on the left side of the graph. You will see that scale for torque and the scale for horsepower are different. If they were on the same scale they would cross at 5250.

twistedneck

Established Member
Isn't that torque number a bit low for a 522hp motor?

not if you compare the relative gains. he had 320tq on that dyno before hand - and now he's close to 400.. thats just under 80ft-lbs gained.

but he's not after torque anyway, its HP at high rpm a rare sight indeed. This car can if needed be much lighter (see JPC's N/A running 9's) and there is still 500+ rpm in this car! can't wait to see that too. stock mufflers sound glorious and loud in the car if you have headers and x-pipes. its out of the car that sucks they sound like pop cans exploding. i'm looking for a set of GT500's eventually - quiet still but much better sound.

Last edited:

Highway Star

Established Member
not if you compare the relative gains. he had 320tq on that dyno before hand - and now he's close to 400.. thats just under 80ft-lbs gained.

but he's not after torque anyway, its HP at high rpm a rare sight indeed. This car can if needed be much lighter (see JPC's N/A running 9's) and there is still 500+ rpm in this car! can't wait to see that too. stock mufflers sound glorious and loud in the car if you have headers and x-pipes. its out of the car that sucks they sound like pop cans exploding. i'm looking for a set of GT500's eventually - quiet still but much better sound.

Yeah i agree with the GT 500's they might give me just the note I am looking for. Funny you should mention that because i was thinking just the same thing

98ss88mm

Established Member
lots of silly posts in here.... nice car! It will be a blast with that much rpm and power

ctanZ

Established Member
Regarding the idle, is there anyway to give it that nice choppy idle without the use of a " ghost tune " or are these motors just not capable of making a choppy idle without it even with a cam

BLK2012GT

Established Member
That's badass. That's truly my goal for my car. I want to make 500 rwhp plus N/A. I don't know why but I'm just not a boost fan. Just N/A with some nitrous.

Highway Star

Established Member
Choppy Idle

Regarding the idle, is there anyway to give it that nice choppy idle without the use of a " ghost tune " or are these motors just not capable of making a choppy idle without it even with a cam

It can be done, but do you really want to if it will affect the reliability of your car? Some people were doing "ghost cammed tunes" whatever the heck that means. But that has been discontinued from what I understand. It's great when a car sounds right. It is greater still when it runs right.

BLK2012GT You speakin my language buddy. There are a lot more blown engines out there because of blowers than anyone cares to admit. If you can get access, check out the sct dealers forum for proof. This type of build isn't for everyone. It will at minimum cost $4000 more than a blower, but you will have a bullet proof engine that will run all day just like factory. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread