500hp and it doesn't pull

rage_svt

Established Member
Ok, maybe someone on here can tell me what my issue could be. For starters, my car has:
-Ported blower
-2.9 Upper
-4# lower
-JLT RAI
-SCT Tune
-Heat exchanger
-Mac off road mid pipe
-Flow master cat back
-New plugs
-Ported IP
-SCT 2400
-4 pulley kit
-Evenflow head cooling mod
My last tune on a Mustang dyno was 506hp and 533tq, which seems like it would be awesome but....
Last night I raced a 04 SRT-4 with a stock turbo stage 0 with a CAI, downpipe cutout, an APEXi fuel controller, and a few other odds an ends, all in all I would say no more than 300hp (use to have an SRT with the same basic setup). So we do a running pull starting from 40mph and he's right next to me all the way up to 130 where we finally shut it down! We do a couple runs and it's the same everytime. The only way I can beat him is to start in first and power shift into 2nd, but that's the only place in the race I can put any distant between me and him. The dyno was done less than a month ago and the car feels the same. Also there wasn't any smell of clutch, or the rev's jumping without the car moving. The tires weren't barking, or breaking lose. So my question is..... what the heck could be going wrong? I see vids all the time of cars with a ported eaton owning 50 trim SRT's like they were in reverse, and gear for gear I couldn't beat a stock turbo! Anyone have any idea's? Shouldn't I with 200hp more fly past him? Well let me know what you guys think, any input would be awesome. Thank you everyone. :bowdown:

Last edited:

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
I would just say to give ol' Mr. Kenne Bell a hollar and see what he's got in store for you. He has the solution to all your problems. :-D

Other than that, I do not know what could possibly be wrong with your cobra. Who tuned it?

Last edited:

01tahoe

Established Member
Is it possible you left traction control on? You should instantly pull hard on an SRT 4 like that.

CobraMac

Established Member
Hmmmm...tires not breaking loose? That sounds odd. I am almost exact same power as you and can break loose in 3rd gear easy. That sounds quite odd. Other than traction control I would have no clue what's wrong. Obviously you would know if your traction control would hit though because of the depower.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
maybe clutch or running out of fuel or low fuel pressure?.. i don't know. looks like Rick at Amazon is your tuner right? Call him and ask him. Go back to the dyno and do some quarter mile runs or go try a track and see how you're running.

rage_svt

Established Member
Yeah, I can't break lose in 3rd at all. I know that the SRT is telling me the truth cause I've known this guy for quite a while and have given him a lot of advice on the car. Plus I used to own a SRT and have done many installs on SRT's so I what mods he has done. I read all the time people about people with around 500hp saying their first three gears are nothing but tire spin....... and like I said, I can't spin them in third with some some basic street tires. The traction control was off as I had it disabled when I had the SCT tune done. I also raced and Evo and STi and I was able to beat them, but they were at my door/fender the whole time. Both STi and Evo were also on stock turbo's.

mrose75

Established Member
Ew, that does suck. I'd be very pissed. Hope you figure that out. Kepp us posted.

rage_svt

Established Member
YGOSLO said:
Ew, that does suck. I'd be very pissed. Hope you figure that out. Kepp us posted.

Yeah, it really sucks. Especially since I traded in my SRT-4 with similar mods for this Cobra, so it's like getting beat by my old car, which really burns.

ViciousJay said:
driver error?

Normally I would say the same, but I took the car to 6k-6.2k every time and after the shift I still don't pull on him at all. I would call it driver error if every time I shifted I fell back but started to gain on him after the shift.... but at no time do I pull on him :( .

Last edited:

04torchred

Established Member
Those numbers are huge. With a weight inputed of 3800lbs on a loaded Mustang Dyno my car only made 453rwhp/445rwtq. This was enough power to edge out a 2005 C6 with ported heads, cam, LT and full exhaust. I can break loose in 2nd, but do not spin in 3rd gear at all. Not sure why the race was so close for you?

rage_svt

Established Member
04torchred said:
Those numbers are huge. With a weight inputed of 3800lbs on a loaded Mustang Dyno my car only made 453rwhp/445rwtq. This was enough power to edge out a 2005 C6 with ported heads, cam, LT and full exhaust. I can break loose in 2nd, but do not spin in 3rd gear at all. Not sure why the race was so close for you?

I don't know either. There was a 397hp GTO out last night talking mad crap, and I almost said something to him about it..... looks like it was a good thing I didn't. If I can't catch a 300hp SRT, a 397hp GTO would have embarrassed me :cryying: .

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
ShelbyGuy said:
and he's probably fibbing about his mods.
That's my guess, maybe he forgot to mention that 75 shot. I have probably 50hp less than you and I don't have any trouble pulling modded SRT4s.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
what tires do you have??? any suspension mods?? my car has had the stock tires just until about two weeks ago. with 530rwhp/510rwtq, i could incinerate the tires ANYWHERE in 1st, and just about anywhere in 2nd gear. sometimes, they would spin a bit in third. now that i have the nittos, its not as dramatic, but i can still spin in second. this is in 60-70 degree temps with the car just warmed up and not heat-soaked at all.

i would think you should pull that car pretty decently. make sure you give your car PLENTY of time between runs to cool off--heatsoak will literally rob you of tons of power, and could easily be responsible for your negative experience

rage_svt

Established Member
Here are my dyno sheets I have for the car from two shops at different stage's in her life:

Dynojet: Mac Mid pipe, Flowmaster Cat back, JLT RAI
401hp 364tq
dsc00643wm4.jpg

Mustang Dyno: List from first post minus SCT 2400
506hp 533tq
dsc00642hp8.jpg

Mustang Dyno: List complete
502hp 520tq (much hotter day)
dsc00645gf1.jpg

rage_svt

Established Member
kirks5oh said:
what tires do you have??? any suspension mods?? my car has had the stock tires just until about two weeks ago. with 530rwhp/510rwtq, i could incinerate the tires ANYWHERE in 1st, and just about anywhere in 2nd gear. sometimes, they would spin a bit in third. now that i have the nittos, its not as dramatic, but i can still spin in second. this is in 60-70 degree temps with the car just warmed up and not heat-soaked at all.

i would think you should pull that car pretty decently. make sure you give your car PLENTY of time between runs to cool off--heatsoak will literally rob you of tons of power, and could easily be responsible for your negative experience

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. We did 3 runs, then let the cars cool, then did another 4 pulls. Each time, it was the same result's :cryying:.

spincobra03

Established Member
509 rwhp with those numbers on a mustang dyno sounds weird first of all with your mods, with thos mods those should be right around the numbers on a dyno jet but im wondering do you have a boost overlay? or some way of measuring your boost, the only thing im wondering is either your car is making as much power as you think or your car is loosing boost somewhere. Is rick from amazon your tuner? If he is ask him, I am sure he can figure out where you might be having a problem, but im starting to think you dont really have a problem with the car.

Users who are viewing this thread