50% chance that I become a New Edge statistic

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Summer of 2004 I left Memphis, TN where I had a brand-new corner lot home, 2 car garage, I just built a fence, and finished a bonus room--- to move to Tampa, FL in hopes of a better life. I got a super nice bump in salary and started work with an incredible company. Since moving down here we've faced countless hurricanes, been audited by the IRS, and had some other issues I'll spare you from. It's spring 2006 and I'm still renting, can't afford a home anywhere near where I work, have a 11 week old kid, my wife might lose her job, and we have NO family or friends within 900 miles. I'm thinking it's time to cut my losses and look elsewhere for a life. I don't see my situation improving anytime soon here in Florida.
/sob story

SO-- I'm thinking about unloading the car. It pains me to think like this but it would save me some money every month and move me closer to leaving this cursed peninsula. The car has 38,150 miles and has all the mods listed in my sig. Do you think $17,500 would be a reasonable asking price? A link to more pictures is in my sig. The car is in incredible shape and I always get complements on it....

Thoughts on the car value?

ka3ak

Breast Connoisseur
Established Member
$17,500 is beyond reasonable, good luck and sorry to hear about your unfortunes, hopefully everything will turn out ok

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Thanks. I'm whining a bit but Florida is beyond me at the moment. I missed the wave in real estate. Plus it doesn't help that I keep comparing FL to TN. That's really not in the same ballpark. I'm just so frustrated with 1,500 sqft homes selling for $300,000. That may be the rate where some on here are from but FL hit that rate in 4 years!!!!

Everyday is different and you never know what the wind will bring.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Considering all the pressure you're under...it sounds like you NEED that car. If I couldn't take my Snake out regularly I'd go completely nuts. But sounds like you will have to let her go...which really sucks. $17.5K sounds like a good place to start....might even start a bit higher. Mods are pretty impressive. Wish you all the best of luck...things will work out.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
Considering all the pressure you're under...it sounds like you NEED that car. If I couldn't take my Snake out regularly I'd go completely nuts. But sounds like you will have to let her go...which really sucks. $17.5K sounds like a good place to start....might even start a bit higher. Mods are pretty impressive. Wish you all the best of luck...things will work out.

The thought crossed my mind but if we leave, the car has to go. :(

I usually get a little ahead of myself when it comes to things like this. I just need to burn myself out on the subject so I can be a bit more level headed. I hoped to have the car paid off ASAP so I wouldn't have to go down this road.

Thank you both for the encouraging words.

johnjib

Little '99 SVT
Established Member
Sorry man. I hope you get your family where they are happy. I love you car but you have to do what you have to do. I will still say it. For the love of god don't sell the cobra. Good luck man.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
We'll see. I won't give up the car easily- but I will be smart about handling my situation.

Woo Hoo! 1,000 posts :pepper:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yeah man. I'm burned out with the realestate things too. I could afford a nice house for what I pay in rent.

I literally cry when I compare Ohio (where my g/f is from) and Florida housing prices. I could buy 3 times the house and land for the same price. I'm gonna be out within the next 2 years max.

17.5K is a little low for FL. Its the summer. It'll sell.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Yeah man. I'm burned out with the realestate things too. I could afford a nice house for what I pay in rent.

I literally cry when I compare Ohio (where my g/f is from) and Florida housing prices. I could buy 3 times the house and land for the same price. I'm gonna be out within the next 2 years max.

17.5K is a little low for FL. Its the summer. It'll sell.

That's what really bothers me over all else. That and the fact that I can't go home and visit family more. It has a whole new meaning now that I have a kid.

I must say that the boy loves riding in the Mustang though. :burnout:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
lasercobra said:
That's what really bothers me over all else. That and the fact that I can't go home and visit family more. It has a whole new meaning now that I have a kid.

I must say that the boy loves riding in the Mustang though. :burnout:

So keep the stang and move home....

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
lasercobra said:
Thanks. I'm whining a bit but Florida is beyond me at the moment. I missed the wave in real estate. Plus it doesn't help that I keep comparing FL to TN. That's really not in the same ballpark. I'm just so frustrated with 1,500 sqft homes selling for $300,000. That may be the rate where some on here are from but FL hit that rate in 4 years!!!!

Everyday is different and you never know what the wind will bring.
sorry about your misfortune...
better stay out of southern california then, Id give my left nut for a house at that price.

houses that size are jumping $100K a year!

Last edited:

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Sorry to hear that the sunshine state ain't a happy place for ya. I feel ya on the home prices - you think it's high in FL, just come out here to the left coast and you'll be cryin in your beer for sure. Anyway, I know you gotta do what you gotta do, especially where the family is concerned. $17.5k for the car is very reasonable and you shouldn't have any problems selling it for that price. I know you'll miss her bad, but afer a while and things look up - I have a feeling you'll be getting another one. :)

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
We have friends in LA and surrounding areas. We often get reports about how crazy it is. The grass is always cheaper somewhere else.

You bet your butt I'll get another one if this one goes. This isn't the first time I did the mature thing and let a Cobra go.... :D

Now if I could just win that dang lottery....

Thanks again everyone!!! You guys make me feel better and slightly foolish for jumping the gun. :beer:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
http://www.daveramsey.com/

Not that a website can make it all better but find a local radio station that carries his program and start listening to this guy. He can help you figure out alot. I've been listening to him for awhile now, if nothing else it's good to hear people tell their story that's alot worse than your own about how they managed. It helped me realize that my financial situation was very fixable.

Anthony

NXSVTCOBRA

family & better living > car

i got out of Florida too man,i lived my whole life there basically, it's a good thing, better paying job here, cheaper mortgage wayyyyyyyyyyyyy bigger house, just think about your decision man, do what's best

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
I'm not that bad off. We could be out of dept in a year, my credit score is a 755, and we have our health. What makes my situation so bad is a left in hopes of something better and I ended up taking a step backwards. I'd be a lot happier if I was a home owner. But I refuse to pay these inflated prices because others do.

I think we'll be out of here in a year-- with car in tow... I hope.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
So the ol' lady and me talked a little bit more about our plans to leave FL and how we're to do it. She basically said if we really want to do this and work to save money, the car is coming with us. She knows how much I need a Mustang and if this one goes, I'll want another one as soon as we are through moving. Doesn't mean that she approves of my love for the mustang but after 7 years and 3 stangs- she gets the picture.

In fact, I might be ordering some Nittos soon. WOO-HOO!

Users who are viewing this thread