5.8 Swap

Noctor

Established Member
Does anybody know of a write-up or a list of what's needed when swapping a 5.8 Trinity motor into a '13-'14 GT? I know the Coyote is an excellent platform and responds amazingly to boost, etc. but if the swap doesn't require much more than an aluminator long block for example, then I would like to go that route.

Noctor

Established Member
It depends on the extent of what is required. I am anticipating PCM/Engine Harness. Likely the fuse box to power pumps, etc. I suppose I will need to rewire the T56 magnum but that should be easy considering the 500 comes with a Tremec. What else do you think will be needed? I'm hoping I can keep my pedal/clutch setup, K-member, steering rack, etc.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
lol, i would just buy a 13-14 GT500... i mean, i could see using the motor in a resto mod F series truck or something, but if the swap costs you $20k, and your car is worth $20k, wouldnt it be better to just spend $40-50k and avoid the headache of doing the swap?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
lol, i would just buy a 13-14 GT500... i mean, i could see using the motor in a resto mod F series truck or something, but if the swap costs you $20k, and your car is worth $20k, wouldnt it be better to just spend $40-50k and avoid the headache of doing the swap?

And after it's all done the car is still worth $20k.

Noctor

Established Member
I agree; which is why I’m trying to understand exactly what is required. If it’s as simple as motor swap, PCM, engine harness, then it is worth considering. I’m working on a deal for a swap that is ~8-10k mark which includes my coyote in the trade. Plus, I’m really digging my DHG ‘14, and the T56 Mag is exponentially better than the tr-6060.

Is there anything else I need for the swap?

basspro302

Established Member
You may need an abs module not sure if that can be configured to work with the ecm.

The tr6060 holds more towue than a t56.

Why dont you just buy the magnum swap kit from jpc or one of the other vendors for about 5k. Spend 5k on a blower call it a day. I heard ben calimer has new billet gear sets good for 1k hp for the mt82

Its not going to be cost effective and you will probably be stuck with that car or have to take a huge loss.

If you want the 5.8 buy a 500 they hold their value alot longer than a 5.0.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
T-56 Magnum is a TR6060 with a detachable bell-housing. The Mag has no relation to the T-56.

Someone is going to trade our Coyote engine + $10k for a Trinity. Sounds like a waste. You’ll be way upside down compared to just buying a 13/14.

Just build the Coyote and turbo it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Noctor

Established Member
The Mag XL is far more than a "TR6060 with a detachable bell-housing"; lest we forget that it isn't semi-remote mounted junk. Also, the gears are beefier in the T56 Magnum XL. I've already got one installed in my car. I have no plans on selling this car as I've put too much time into personalizing it. How many Dark Highland Green '14's have you seen? I will never "invest" in a vehicle because they are a depreciating asset due to me driving the balls off of them. No garage/dyno queens here.

Thanks for the life/financial advice, but I was really hoping to get some detailed info on a swap...

hand-filer

Established Member
You're not going to get a lot of technical help on this because very few if any have done this swap for all of the reasons already mentioned.

Noctor

Established Member
Understandable. I’m under no illusion that there are better ways to go about increasing horsepower. Wishful thinking..

Users who are viewing this thread