5.4 swap anyone?

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
im wanting to do something a little different but nothing crazy. so i thought, why not swap a 5.4 for my 4.6?
i thought someone had done this before but i did a search and came up with nothing.
thanks in advance

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
are you talking about swapping in a SOHC 5.4? if so, the exhaust flow on those heads is very restricted, resulting in sort of a "cap" on top end power....

JoePac

Established Member
im wanting to do something a little different but nothing crazy. so i thought, why not swap a 5.4 for my 4.6?
i thought someone had done this before but i did a search and came up with nothing.
thanks in advance

I'd just stroke what you got, and run a f-1 blower @ nitrous. And if you want to be different, say, I'm stroked,blown and now she's wet!!!:lol1:

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
I'd just stroke what you got, and run a f-1 blower @ nitrous. And if you want to be different, say, I'm stroked,blown and now she's wet!!!:lol1:
get you mind out of the gutter, plus im not looking to be THAT fast.
everyones doing it if you want to be different swap the v10 in it
as far as i know, know one around here has done it, and i actually had thought of putting a V10 in my old cop car before i got rid of it.
are you talking about swapping in a SOHC 5.4? if so, the exhaust flow on those heads is very restricted, resulting in sort of a "cap" on top end power....

is there a DOHC 5.4? i was hoping for something i could use these heads and intake on for now.

quikcobra

Established Member
theres both a sohc 5.4 and a dohc 5.4 but swapping the 5.4 isnt different anymore its in every magizine now every one wants it you will loose alot of power but gain alot of tq i personally like to look like im loosing get their head cocky then fly by i like my power

but check on the v10 and the 5.4 then look at the price to just do something to your car try a s&s rear turbo kit thats rare

302venom

yeah its only a 99..
Established Member
I was going to swap a 5.4 into mine but i decided to stroke it (5.0) if you want to drop a 5.4 you can do a 5.4 bottom mmr makes an adapter to use your heads/intake you will need to modify your exhaust,need longer timing chains,diffrent timing cover.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
IMG_1252.gif

IMG_1278.gif

th_MVI_1266.gif

http://mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57118

Last edited:

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Starting:
th_MVI_1264.gif

Side view:
IMG_1253.gif

The swap can be done using your stock wiring, PCM, hoses, etc.
It isn't cheap, and if you want, you can even re-use your heads.
I think Naz should port them first.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
the 5.4 has i think 280 hp and 360 tq but i know the hp is less then the 4.6 and the tq is higher

Eh, 300, 355 thru a heavy auto, with a truck intake, a proper intake does wonders...
yeah I wish the 5.4 had bigger pistons instead of the extra stroke. Then we'd be talken power!
Cubic inches are cubic inches, steel rodded 5.4's have seen 8800rpm, so the stroke is not a factor, and the small bores allow for a lighter reciprocating assembly...

Hoosier4.6

Established Member
Wait, wait, wait, are people referring to that V10 swap as an actual option? I mean, is that possible??? Jeez, if it is, I may have found my dream mod.

Hoosier4.6

Established Member
Well I know that, I'm just curious if it's been done and if it's at all practical, like LSx's in RX-7's, and 5.0's in Miatas.

Users who are viewing this thread