5.4 questions

pridemore54

Established Member
I've got a 2008 gt500 and I'm starting an engine build on the side to eventually put in my mustang for a highway monster. I don't visit the drag way much (the closest one to me is about 2 hours away) so I'm not overly worried about quarter mile times. Focus is towards practical reliability, and being able to compete with most anyone in Mexico. Any input in any part will be appreciated.

Build specifications planned:
5.4 aluminum block and heads
Fuel- E85
supercharger- currently have a trinity tvs w stock pulley, will upgrade to 2.4in.
trans: sticking w the tr6060. already had it built.
cams: most likely todd warrens custom grind cams. high rpm/boost applications
heads: I'm not educated well in 5.4 block heads. I doubt 4.6 B heads will fit but if someone can verify that would be great. Will most likely buy some 2011+ gt500 heads and have them ported.

Areas I am especially looking for advice:
compression ratios
best pistons,rods, springs, crankshaft for a streetable 1000whp car reliably
heads
best guide/book for building a performance 5.4

I don't have a huge budget like I see some of members on here so this won't be one of those one season builds. Especially with trying to fit in a gun budget as well.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Heads: Stock, ported, machine shop insepcted
Compression: stock (bump up to 5.8 spec could help)
Rods: Oliver Rods (best you can buy for rods)
Crank: Stock, machine shop inspected
Pistons: Many options, Diamond, JE, JDM etc. Total Seal rings
Springs: Match with camshafts, contact Cam manufacturer for recommendations

Info: factory manual assuming all parts are spec for 5.4l

Good idea to have block sent out for inspection, checked for cracks, deck straightness, etc. Minimum, need to have the bores honed. Ask machine shop for recommended piston size after honing.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The GT500 heads would be the ones to use. Others will fit, but ports on the GT500 work with the supercharger manifold and flow better than any that precede it. Connecting rods are the key failure component that you want to upgrade. There are several forged choices. Cam selection should be based on consulting with someone that can spec a cam to meet your objectives as to your goals. Typically the more aggressive the cam, the higher up the rpm range it will operate. Just remember what you gain up top, you lose on the bottom. Cams with a lot of overlap need a higher compression ratio as well. Almost all cam manufacturers are a good source to help you select a cam. In reading your post, I think you want to stay within a budget, so you might focus on that aspect and select parts that stay within that budget. Best is a debatable term and generally price dictates quality. If you are having someone build the short block or long block, seek out their opinion.

RBB

Established Member
Good advice so far. In addition, look into upgrading to billet oil pump gears, crankshaft sprocket, secondary cam gears and HD chains. Those are common points of failure when racing and/or going with aftermarket cams.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Good advice so far. In addition, look into upgrading to billet oil pump gears, crankshaft sprocket, secondary cam gears and HD chains. Those are common points of failure when racing and/or going with aftermarket cams.
Absolutely! Add all these to your budget. Building one of these engines for durability is not a cheap endeavor. Don't ask me how I know that.

pridemore54

Established Member
Heads: Stock, ported, machine shop insepcted
Compression: stock (bump up to 5.8 spec could help)
Rods: Oliver Rods (best you can buy for rods)
Crank: Stock, machine shop inspected
Pistons: Many options, Diamond, JE, JDM etc. Total Seal rings
Springs: Match with camshafts, contact Cam manufacturer for recommendations

Info: factory manual assuming all parts are spec for 5.4l

Good idea to have block sent out for inspection, checked for cracks, deck straightness, etc. Minimum, need to have the bores honed. Ask machine shop for recommended piston size after honing.

I was definitely leaning towards the oliver rods and diamond pistons so far.
I'm surprised to hear the stock crank is good for that kind of power reliably.

The GT500 heads would be the ones to use. Others will fit, but ports on the GT500 work with the supercharger manifold and flow better than any that precede it. Connecting rods are the key failure component that you want to upgrade. There are several forged choices. Cam selection should be based on consulting with someone that can spec a cam to meet your objectives as to your goals. Typically the more aggressive the cam, the higher up the rpm range it will operate. Just remember what you gain up top, you lose on the bottom. Cams with a lot of overlap need a higher compression ratio as well. Almost all cam manufacturers are a good source to help you select a cam. In reading your post, I think you want to stay within a budget, so you might focus on that aspect and select parts that stay within that budget. Best is a debatable term and generally price dictates quality. If you are having someone build the short block or long block, seek out their opinion.

The power in the top end is what I'm looking for. I dont really have a set budget in mind, I just don't have the kind of cash flow to drop 2k on some rods in a months time. Once I'm actually ready to buy I will probably message Todd about getting the cams and springs etc custom done.

Thank you I forgot to add that. I will for sure be upgrading the timing assembly and Oil Pump Gears.

pridemore54

Established Member
If you haven't found a block I would look:
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...neering-limited-time-offer-pricing-4.1145589/

This is what I would get if I were in the market for one. See if they are still available.

Cheers,
Ray

Thanks for the link! Damn that's still really up there. I will probably keep my eyes to whats for sale in the local area. I recently missed an aluminum block for sale for $800 so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that another comes along.

RBB

Established Member
Absolutely! Add all these to your budget. Building one of these engines for durability is not a cheap endeavor. Don't ask me how I know that.
Don't ask me either. Ended up spending quite a bit just on timing components, but I have no interest in doing this again anytime soon. Do it right the first time.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I will eventually go down this path myself but the direction i take will differ slightly. The crank is known to be good for 1000hp. Crank is fine. I plan to add compression. Compression, E85, boost, and a free flowing intake and exhaust are a beautiful thing. I'd like to build a 5.4 with close to, if not 10:1 compression. Heads are fine. We have great heads and tons of money spend on them is wasted IMO because you are forced induction anyway. Let the NA guys spend big money on heads.

My ultimate 1000whp build would be:

--Crank--stock
--Billet i beam rods--brand of your choice
--forged 10:1 wiseco or your fav brand piston
--Cams. Mild as possible that will still yield gains. Me personally, not looking for a lot of chop. Lopey cams drive like ass.
--e85 conversion
--R2650 Eaton or Gen 3 Whipple 2.9. Waiting for more info on each.
--Stock iron block to keep costs low. This will save you over $3k.
--Ported lower intake manifold. Lots of hp to be gained here.
--Largest dual bore throttle body or a black whipple eliptical TB.. still undecided.

Im sure im missing some things.

pridemore54

Established Member
I will eventually go down this path myself but the direction i take will differ slightly. The crank is known to be good for 1000hp. Crank is fine. I plan to add compression. Compression, E85, boost, and a free flowing intake and exhaust are a beautiful thing. I'd like to build a 5.4 with close to, if not 10:1 compression. Heads are fine. We have great heads and tons of money spend on them is wasted IMO because you are forced induction anyway. Let the NA guys spend big money on heads.

My ultimate 1000whp build would be:

--Crank--stock
--Billet i beam rods--brand of your choice
--forged 10:1 wiseco or your fav brand piston
--Cams. Mild as possible that will still yield gains. Me personally, not looking for a lot of chop. Lopey cams drive like ass.
--e85 conversion
--R2650 Eaton or Gen 3 Whipple 2.9. Waiting for more info on each.
--Stock iron block to keep costs low. This will save you over $3k.
--Ported lower intake manifold. Lots of hp to be gained here.
--Largest dual bore throttle body or a black whipple eliptical TB.. still undecided.

Im sure im missing some things.
I agree with you on the cams. I'm not going for sound. I may be living in dream land but I'm hoping to get something that will spin 7k rpms while retaining driveability. Wouldn't mind a little lope but that isn't quite the focus either.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Spinning to 7k will be no prob at all. After 7200 ive read is where the stock crank starts to wobble and get weak in the knees.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Cash is the limiting factor. TVS is plenty powerful.

OP: you might consider having BPS do a full port on your TVS case. Will make it very near the specs of the Gen 2R.

Id also invest in an ATI 15% OD balancer. Youre going to not only need its protection, but also max boost potential. Running E85 unlocked this combo for you!

pridemore54

Established Member
i dunno - you want a freeway monster -- i think I would go with built engine and turbo -- no supercharger at all
I understand what you mean but the TVS blowers are very efficient at mid and high range power. Especially with the new 2650 coming out.

Another reason I'm not considering turbo is it would drive cost through the roof and complicate so many other aspects of the build

pridemore54

Established Member
Cash is the limiting factor. TVS is plenty powerful.

OP: you might consider having BPS do a full port on your TVS case. Will make it very near the specs of the Gen 2R.

Id also invest in an ATI 15% OD balancer. Youre going to not only need its protection, but also max boost potential. Running E85 unlocked this combo for you!
I agree with this completely. Any round about price on getting the case ported? I have no idea what that would cost

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Users who are viewing this thread