$5,000 and a plan!

cobradave77

Established Member
Well, the fist part is what I can come up with - the $5,000. Now, I need a plan to get my car repaired! The dealership says I have either jacked-up rings or possibly a "melted down" piston (hmm...) and I am looking into shortblock options. What is the cheapest route? What is the BEST route with only $5,000 to spend and only BASIC automotive skills? Is it even possible to repair my car with $5,000??? I don't need a supercar, I just want the car to be at least as good as it was before I put the nitrous death spray to it - that will be gone regardless! Thanks for everyone's help, I hope to someday get off the automotive short bus and learn something! :loser:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
cobradave77, start by pulling your engine and finding a good speed shop in your area that knows mustangs.

I would tear the motor down and take the block, heads, and crank to said speedshop and ask them if all of it checks out ok.

Then go from there. For VTEngines build up, they want your existing block and crank (this may be true of many placess). If you have to buy a new block and crank, that will change the price and determine what you should do.

Look at it this way - the engine is already screwed - as long as you don't go nicking up the cylinder bores or heads, dropping the crank on cement, etc, you can't screw it up anymore than it already is. You'll save money over having someone pull the engine for you and gain some valuable insight into the workings of the mod motor. I almost wish my motor would crap out just so I could tear it a part (ALMOST BUT NOT QUITE!)

99SVTAddict

Established Member
I had my core sent to Diamond here in Michigan...they machined the block and installed forged rods and pistons and went with ARP bolts. I think that total cost was around $3200 or so. R&R at the local shop was around $1000. I also upgraded the oil pump gears and had the heads worked on.

I would NOT let the dealership touch your car though.
#1 it's more expensive
#2 if you go with aftermarket stuff, they probably wouldn't have a clue.

badboycali_559

Established Member
buy a new motor from karkraft.com for 5 g's, i got an estimate to get my motor done fully forged for 3 gran. wat part of cail r u in, i m in fresno, if u can com by i can have my mechanic build ur motor for 3.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
badboycali_559 said:
buy a new motor from karkraft.com for 5 g's, i got an estimate to get my motor done fully forged for 3 gran. wat part of cail r u in, i m in fresno, if u can com by i can have my mechanic build ur motor for 3.

Damn dude! Type in English. I had a hard time following that (not trying to be a you-know-what).

NXSVTCOBRA

im gonna throw a couple of prices out there that are accurate from my build-up make your decisions from there

bore/hone block, $145.00
square deck $100.00
Align hone $145.00
Jet wash block $35.00
main & rod bearings $82
turn the crank .010 $82
timing cover seal, main seal, maincap bolts/studs, head bolts $160
forged piston/rods $850
high volume oil pump $69
canton oil pan $273

and if you want to do the heads:
comp stage 3 cams $925
valve springs and steel retainers $519
hardened valves $14.50ea
competition port and polish (stage 3+) $800

head work isnt necessary considering you just want a mild build-up, but look at it this way, you want another stock motor? or a motor that can handle just about anything you throw at it?? if you rebuild it you'll also get the satisfaction in knowing that you built that motor....... :thumbsup:

NXSVTCOBRA

no im gonna put it all together, i got the block back yesterday, and the crank comes back tomorrow at 2pm, so the only thing that is holding up my build-up is MAROONE FORD parts department ordered me the wrong shyt for my main cap bolts, so it hopefully will be in tomorrow at 3 so saturday and sunday i could put this damn thing back together, im gonna put the stock heads back on for now and put the cams and port work on a set of navi heads so it'll be stock heads until around the end of march (in between the nmra event in bradenton, fl and the one in reynolds, ga)

Stopsign32v

Established Member
If I were you I'd buy a 03 Cobra crate motor and sell the stock supercharger and put you 01 intake on it.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Why? the block is heavier and will cost alot more than building your current motor. a $12,000 03 cobra motor doesnt fall under the $5,000 limit.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
True it doesn't cost $5,000 but I was thinking more along the lines of better heads and camshafts plus the engine is already built.

NXSVTCOBRA

you could build the stock block with a lot better components than the 03 motor ad still be under 5k and save some weight while you're at it too...... also if you dont plan on being boosted an 03 shortblock wouldnt help out compression ratio wise

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Sprayed_Pony said:
you could build the stock block with a lot better components than the 03 motor ad still be under 5k and save some weight while you're at it too...... also if you dont plan on being boosted an 03 shortblock wouldnt help out compression ratio wise

That's a pretty nice build up sprayed! What are you looking at your total cost to be once it's all said and done? How much time are you looking at for the build-up that I'm understaning that you are doing yourself?

Can a person w/ reasonable wrench skills expect to be able to do this their first time or is it something best left to an esperienced builder?

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
That's a pretty nice build up sprayed! What are you looking at your total cost to be once it's all said and done? How much time are you looking at for the build-up that I'm understaning that you are doing yourself?

Can a person w/ reasonable wrench skills expect to be able to do this their first time or is it something best left to an esperienced builder?

That was what I was wondering. I'd LOVE to do something like this myself, but afraid of lubing, or not lubing the wrong part and screwing something up.

Anyone know of a good book that covers assembling a 4.6 block from the ground up?

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
03 Cobra has better heads and cams than a stock 99, but the cams still aren't as good as what you can get in the aftermarket. Plus you can match the cams to your specific wants/needs. Of course, if you could pick up a set of 03 heads/cams for cheap, that wouldn't be a bad way to go. Cam packages can get pretty pricey.

I'd use the 99 Shortblock (forged) + 03 heads + aftermarket cams. Best of both worlds.

NXSVTCOBRA

REX-RACER said:

total cost isn't gonna be that much since i already had most of the parts when i spun a few bearings, and also i bought a lot of stuff when they were on sale, my opinion is to start buying things little by little when your car is running, then whenever you decide its time to rebuild you already have most or all the parts you need, for just the short block with all of the machining work, and parts im right around $2k which i think is pretty good, i caught the pistons while they were on sale, the bearings were given to me at the machine shops' cost (Clevite 77), now the heads are whats pricey, thats why im just going to run stock heads and cams until i find a good buy on some navigator heads and port those and put the cams, valves, valves springs and steel retainers in...... i was hoping to start the build-up tomorrow morning but 1 thing, maroone ford down here in miami hires unexperienced people for the parts desk and he had no clue what he was doing, and ordered me the wrong things because his computer showed him pictures of what to order even though i told him what i needed, so either its gonna be here today @ 3pm or tomorrow @ 3pm :bored: bastards

as for the build-up if you have basic mechanical knowledge, a good manual and have a good sense of where everything goes, im sure you can do it yourself, the heads are a little tricky, for those you might want to have some one with experience to help you on them

once the block is done, i'll post pix and specs of the motor

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Kool! Thanx for the info Sprayed_Pony! :thumbsup:

Dang those bastids at the dealership! :bash:

Is this going to be a stroker motor? Any kind of overbore, or just a straight rebuild w/ forged pieces?

What's the compression going to be? Is it going to be blown in the end? What are your final goal #'s?

Good luck w/ the build! Definitely get those pics up when you can!

sorry for all the ???, and I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I see myself doing this in the future so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can!

NXSVTCOBRA

oh yea, thats another thing im waiting on, someone is suppozed to be sending me a copy of the tech cd but i haven't recieved it yet, i only need it for the tourque specs on all the bolts and everything, & the timing but other than that everything is gonna be done by memory, i know there is a manual "just" for tear down and rebuilding the 4.6 i dont know the name but i saw it in some catalouge for sale, its a red covered paper back book and the lettering on the cover is in yellow, i'll try and look for it.......

another thing i forgot to mention is, all of the gaskets on the motor are re-usable, so that saves a few dollars there

Users who are viewing this thread