5.0 vs DSM

mr_Ginzo

Established Member
now i have about 10K to spend, so i figure this is a goodplace to start. im just kicking back ideas i've been looking for a car for awhile and i really can't makeup my mind, so this way i figure im gonna try to compair everything with your help. now to start i was thinking 5.0 vs DSM, i live in new england where if i HAVE to i can take another car, but in thiscase AWD would help. both cars are very tuneable and both get very good power from cheap mods. now the thing to split it is DSMs seem to be very unreliable, and my buddy who has a 5.0 the thing can take a beating, but still im not sure if i want a RWD monster V8 or a AWD turbocharged 4. Im not one for spending money on fixing cars (but who is) so any info will help, thanks alot

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
If you get a dsm make sure and change the timing belt or youll be pretty much screwed if it breaks. Lot more 5.0 parts out there and theyre cheaper than dsm parts. Just depends on what your looking for.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
My buddies GST blew up after minor tuning and the thing felt crappy on the inside; the car just didnt feel very strong, it felt like it could have fallen apart at any moment. No matter what anyone says part for part your always gonna be able to get more power from a v8 than from a 4 cylinder. But Im sure you get a lot of snow out there so a 5.0 probably wouldnt be ideal in the winter.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
Go with the mustang dude!! RWD, V-8, faster than the dsm....BUT if you have t odrive in snow.. a powerful 5.0 liter mustang is not the best vehicle.if snow is a must get the dsm, you'll have good grip, can make it quick pretty cheap...dsm's are really unreliable though...I dunno! There are pros and cons for both

Last edited:

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Don't get the DSM. They break. A lot. They are good in the winter, my cousin had one, and they are fast and very moddable. They're just not reliable horsepower. Get the 'Stang and a $600 beater for the winter. That's what I'm doin'. Just think, every time Spring comes, it's like getting a new car all over again, climbing back into the Mustang and feeling the torque. :)

5.0snake

PA Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
theres a guy selling an imaculate 93GT in the vehicles for sale...123K miles for 6grand and said he would take less with no low ballers. You could take it for probally about 4750 and then spend the rest on modding it. New motor/tranny so on and so forth!! Thats what I would do, just my .02

dsroten

Established Member
I drive a DSM, but I'll be honest with ya. If you want more power for cheaper, get the 5.0. DSM's can be beasts, but the V8 of course will produce more power from all the minor mods you can do it.

As far as reliability, I think it just depends on the person. If its carefully tuned and built with good parts (gotta avoid crankwalk), the Mitsu engine is bulletproof (except for the stupid timing belt). The tranny seems to be where most people, including myself, experience catastrophic failure.

I've ridden in a few 5.0's (my closest friend has one), and interior and ride quality is about even. I've never been in a 5.0 with a modded suspension so I cant speak to that, but my DSM handles really well with just aftermarket wheels and tires and strut braces, and is probably lighter than a 5.0 (I dont know the weight on those cars).

I got a DSM for two reasons. One is fuel mileage. I never had any intention on modding it when I got it, then got hooked later. The second is just personal opinion but I think the 2g DSM ragtops are good looking cars.

Long story short - highly modded and reliable DSM's can be built, but it's gonna take a wad of cash to do it. Like someone else already said, parts for 5.0's are everywhere. So for your money, the 5.0 is the best bet.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
dsroten said:
I drive a DSM, but I'll be honest with ya. If you want more power for cheaper, get the 5.0. DSM's can be beasts, but the V8 of course will produce more power from all the minor mods you can do it.

As far as reliability, I think it just depends on the person. If its carefully tuned and built with good parts (gotta avoid crankwalk), the Mitsu engine is bulletproof (except for the stupid timing belt). The tranny seems to be where most people, including myself, experience catastrophic failure.

I've ridden in a few 5.0's (my closest friend has one), and interior and ride quality is about even. I've never been in a 5.0 with a modded suspension so I cant speak to that, but my DSM handles really well with just aftermarket wheels and tires and strut braces, and is probably lighter than a 5.0 (I dont know the weight on those cars).

I got a DSM for two reasons. One is fuel mileage. I never had any intention on modding it when I got it, then got hooked later. The second is just personal opinion but I think the 2g DSM ragtops are good looking cars.

Long story short - highly modded and reliable DSM's can be built, but it's gonna take a wad of cash to do it. Like someone else already said, parts for 5.0's are everywhere. So for your money, the 5.0 is the best bet.

Good honest post... :beer:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Friend had a DSM, out of nowhere the waterpump went out and f#cked his motor up. Plus his car felt good off the line, but the car really died out at about 70mph. He had an upgraded turbo, full exhaust, and a ported intake manifold.

I'd go with a 5.0.

Steeltwo

Established Member
hahaha
you ask a mustang forums which to buy LOL
gee, what a surprise everyone said mustang.

this EXACT question was asked on a dsm forum.
at retail prices.
None of that BS about getting your friends stroked Winsor or my other friends 2.4L stroker with an FP Red for 500 bones.

and the answer was......

for 5 grand and under the dsm will blow the doors off of a 5.0.

however, you will hit a low 11 second barrier with 10 grand in a dsm done the right way.

a 5.0 can be in the 10's for 10 grand.

my dsm has not broken...yet. I've put about 20k on it and the only problems come from the previous owner modding it like a moron.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
My DSM was a lot of fun. The weak points are heat and breaking stuff with crazy launches. I launched REALLY hard a couple of times and before I was done I ended up replacing the tranny, transfer case, diff and axles. The engine was bulletproof until the waterpump failed at 80 MPH. By the time I noticed it, the motor was fried. Great car for crappy weather, handled terrific and was fairly quick. I can't speak for 5.0 Mustangs as I've driven but never owned one. The Terminator is my first Stang.

redstang

28 said:
Mustang...No brainer...Then find you a beater 4x4 p/u or jeep or something...

+1. I know many kids around here that do that, and i experience the same whether you do.

Steeltwo

Established Member
CharlieCobra03 said:
My DSM was a lot of fun. The weak points are heat and breaking stuff with crazy launches. I launched REALLY hard a couple of times and before I was done I ended up replacing the tranny, transfer case, diff and axles. The engine was bulletproof until the waterpump failed at 80 MPH. By the time I noticed it, the motor was fried. Great car for crappy weather, handled terrific and was fairly quick. I can't speak for 5.0 Mustangs as I've driven but never owned one. The Terminator is my first Stang.
if you launch with the ebrake on you tend to not break as many things.

that initial drop that most people do is what hurts things. The diff and axles mostly.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Steeltwo said:
if you launch with the ebrake on you tend to not break as many things.

that initial drop that most people do is what hurts things. The diff and axles mostly.

I think the damage came from the intial hit when sidestepping the clutch too. With a good AM clutch, a quick slip would get the car outta the hole quick without twisting output shafts and such. I twisted mine so bad that they had to cut the input shaft of the transfer case off with a torch.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Depends on what you like I guess. I like DSM's, but it appears to be a lot of maintenence to really keep the car up, which cuts into mod money. I wouldn't trade a thing in the world for my little 5.0, that thing just keeps going. It's had a couple accidents, but it still keeps running, and does good on gas too. I've never looked into DSM mods, so I can't say, nor have I driven a DSM so I can't tell you my experiences there, but it's tough to beat a 5.0 in reliability/durability, and still have plenty of power and moddability. Not a fun car in rain, and wouldn't dare think about winter weather.

Users who are viewing this thread