5.0 Stroker/Whipple 2.9 Power Estimates?

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Hey guys!

It's been a while since I've posted, life happened and things have been nuts.

Some of you may know my car. The DHG-Terminator, aka the "Bullsnake."

For those who don't know the car here is a teaser (more to come soon):

a8ejuse7.jpg

u9uqyre2.jpg

I've been working on a build for quite some time (sorry for not sharing sooner!), and am trying to imagine what power this build will put down. That being said, here are the known parts in this build. Forgive my ignorance, as I've left a lot of this build to my engine builder. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to clarify.

Engine - 5.0 Stroker:
Teksid Block bored .020 over.
Kellogg Crank
Manley I-beams
Custom Diamond Pistons
12.5-12.8:1 Compression (what I was told)
Blower Cams
Ported heads
ARP 2000 everything

Power Adder:
Whipple 2.9 Crusher (thinking using around a 15psi pulley for my primary tune)

Exhaust:
Kooks 1 7/8's to "3
Kooks 3" to 2.5" offroad midpipe
Magnaflow 2.5" catback.
(Thoughts on this setup? We felt that the exhaust would cool sufficiently by the time it reached the midpipe so that the 2.5" catback wouldn't be a major restriction by the time it reached the crossover in the x-pipe)

Fuel:
Fore Triple Return setup from Lethal with 3 Walbro pumps.
ID1000 injectors

My main concern initially was the compression being so high, but this will be an e85 only car for the foreseeable future. I wanted the motor to be overbuilt, and the tune will be more conservative for safety.

So what do you guys think? Car should be back together in a few weeks and I can't find a build close enough to give me an idea of what kind of power this thing will put down.

Other mods just to give you all an idea of what this car will be:
T56 Magnum with Viper Spec Gearing
McLeod RXT w/ Lightened Steel Flywheel
Built rear with 3.27 gears
MM XD LCA's with Steeda UCA's
MM FLSFC's
Rear shock tower brace
Front coilovers w/ Bullitt Rear Springs and D-Specs
New Killer Chiller unit with Industrial 12A
Start N Charge Alt. (160 amp)
CCW classics, 18x11 w/ 335's

Any comments/critiques are welcome! Thanks guys!

-Dakota

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
Thats a sweet setup you got there. You should have no problem making over 800whp once you up the boost. It will be interesting to see how much more you will make from the high compression.

itSSlow98

Established Member
That compression is brutally high for a boosted car even on e85. There is literally no point in going that high on a twin screw car. Drop it to 10:1 max and throw boost at it until it makes the power that you want. Once you do that youll easily make 800-900 but i think your pushing the injectors on e85.

I would also do a full 3" exhaust because your gonna be moving a lot of air and there is no downfall to going big on your setup.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
That compression is brutally high for a boosted car even on e85. There is literally no point in going that high on a twin screw car. Drop it to 10:1 max and throw boost at it until it makes the power that you want. Once you do that youll easily make 800-900 but i think your pushing the injectors on e85.

I would also do a full 3" exhaust because your gonna be moving a lot of air and there is no downfall to going big on your setup.

The 3" is something I've wondered about myself. And while I do agree the compression is very high, e85 is extremely available in my area, and I'm
Limited by blower size due to refusing to drop the Functional Shaker. Ideally a low boost/killer chiller car should be a more efficient cruiser, as well as a setup almost completely immune to heatsoak. I would likely only have a tune for higher boost if I wanted to put the car into a "kill mode."

itSSlow98

Established Member
The 3" is something I've wondered about myself. And while I do agree the compression is very high, e85 is extremely available in my area, and I'm
Limited by blower size due to refusing to drop the Functional Shaker. Ideally a low boost/killer chiller car should be a more efficient cruiser, as well as a setup almost completely immune to heatsoak. I would likely only have a tune for higher boost if I wanted to put the car into a "kill mode."

Yea definetly do the 3" i bet its good for a decent amount of power on your setup.

The higher compression will create more heat in the combustion chamber then the lower compression. You dont have to worry about any low end torque loss with the blower.

10:1 with 22-23lbs on e85 should make 850 at the wheels much safer then 12.8:1 on 15lbs.

sean r

Established Member
that hi of compression will make some crazy cranking compression/cylinder pressure. also if the pistons have some big domes with sharp edges they create hot spots which will cause detenation. even with thrace fuel it wont be able to take any timing. the pistons can be hand messaged to (soften) which is what its just called but means round off sharp edges.and you can play with cam timing to lower cyl preasure to help some. If its not together i would do something different with the pistons if it were mine. You will probably be able to make more power with less compression cause it will be a much happier motor and take way more timing. You should call diamond and ask for mike penta and run your combo by him and see wwhat he thinks. He really knows his stuff.

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
Sounds like an awesome build, you should have no problem hitting 800.

The id1000's will do fine with with triple pump system on e85. if anything you can turn the base pressure up. Sounds like the pumps are gs342's.
I have the same injectors and pumps in my build.
E85 and high compression work well together but I wouldn't go that high. As others stated, 10:1 should do great. The max I would take it would be 11:1. If you want more power, I would add more boost.
The whipple crusher will probably make 19/20lbs on the stock 3.5 pulley (that's on a stock 8.5:1 terminator). That should give you a little reference on how to pulley up or down.
The exhaust setup you want is fine. I too will be running a similar setup. Yes, the full 3" will benefit you. But, if its not necessary in your budget, I wouldn't worry about it.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Sounds like an awesome build, you should have no problem hitting 800.

The id1000's will do fine with with triple pump system on e85. if anything you can turn the base pressure up. Sounds like the pumps are gs342's.
I have the same injectors and pumps in my build.
E85 and high compression work well together but I wouldn't go that high. As others stated, 10:1 should do great. The max I would take it would be 11:1. If you want more power, I would add more boost.
The whipple crusher will probably make 19/20lbs on the stock 3.5 pulley (that's on a stock 8.5:1 terminator). That should give you a little reference on how to pulley up or down.
The exhaust setup you want is fine. I too will be running a similar setup. Yes, the full 3" will benefit you. But, if its not necessary in your budget, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the response Gabe!

So... I was looking for the compression numbers and I found this text from him.
"Waiting to cc the actual chambers after machine work. But figure 11.7 11.8 range." Maybe I was making up the 12.5-12.8. Do you guys think at 11.7 or 11.8 that I'll be a bit better off? I'm okay with running e85 full time, but I definitely don't want to leave so small of a safety window that my car is a bad alt or fuel pump from another blown motor.

Also, I'm thinking I may go ahead and do a 3" setup. If nothing else maybe it will quiet the car down a tad due to less back pressure.

Thanks all who have chimed in so far.

itSSlow98

Established Member
I still think 11.7 is unnecessary for a twin screw car. Turbo car maybe but even then I don't like it. Ask him why he feels the need to go so high.

gabe1530

Banned
Yw,

Do you guys have the pistons already? I would also ask him why.
I understand you will run e85 all the time but staying at 11:1 does give you the option to run pump if you ever need to.

The 3 inch exhaust will do great with your setup.

Last edited:

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Yw,

Do you guys have the pistons already? I would also ask him why.
I understand you will run e85 all the time but staying at 11:1 does give you the option to run pump if you ever need to.

The 3 inch exhaust will do great with your setup.

So I sat down with my builder and talked about it. It's 11.4 compression as the final number. That's a little more comfortable I think.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
I think your gonna find out that isn't the best idea but I hope it works out for you.

It's a corn-only weekend cruiser, and I'll be running a Killer Chiller to help keep things under control. I know what heat can do to these cars, and if I were running a pump gas I would be opting for the 9:1 area. If I were running closer to stock internals I would be more worried.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
I think your gonna find out that isn't the best idea but I hope it works out for you.

I agree, mid 10s on compression is about as far as i would run a twin screw car. Thats some serious pressure. Sometimes going overboard wont net you the results you are looking for.

sean r

Established Member
I would think your gonna have to pull a lot timing out of it even with e85 so any gain from the compression will be lost with the lower timing. Maybe not but with my nitrous motor the lower i went on compression the more i could spray and the better ETs came along with it. Cant see this being much different where your gonna have to run lower boost and timing or hurt it.

gabe1530

Banned
everyone seems to be against the setup but i think it will be fine. especially since its only a weekend cruiser. e85 is known to be optimal at higher compression ratios on N/A setups. the increased pressure from the blower application is whats scary people. hopefully, this will shed some light on the outcome. 15psi should make some insane power. im expecting your torque numbers to be insane!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Nice setup. I'm curious to see how the higher compression works out. I know in the turbo Honda world guys are doing 12:1 and higher E85 boosted builds all the time with great success and very strong runners. Even with that high a compression on E85 they can still turn timing up to MBT without any knock and a lot of them are running 25 + lbs of boost. E85 is a great thing. I'm sure it'll work just as well in the V8 with a whipple. Can't wait! :thumbsup:

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Nice setup. I'm curious to see how the higher compression works out. I know in the turbo Honda world guys are doing 12:1 and higher E85 boosted builds all the time with great success and very strong runners. Even with that high a compression on E85 they can still turn timing up to MBT without any knock and a lot of them are running 25 + lbs of boost. E85 is a great thing. I'm sure it'll work just as well in the V8 with a whipple. Can't wait! :thumbsup:

Thanks man! These are my thoughts as well, and I have faith in the components I chose to hold together, and ARP2000 everything makes me feel a little better!

Update:
Blower is in, the car is being worked on for the next couple weeks.

8anu7aty.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread