5.0 F150 A/C Compressor Clutch

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I think I have this one under control, just want to touch base before wasting cash.

Our 2015 F150 has ~110K miles. The A/C works fine, no issues there.

However, if the vehicle is started with the A/C turned on, there’s a horrible squeal for 2-5 seconds or so. I imagine it’s the clutch screaming as the sound does not exist if the vehicle is started with the A/C off, or if the A/C is turned on after the truck has been running.

Assuming this is the issue, does anyone have a part recommendation? I’ve seen refab parts in the $100 area, and a motorcraft part around $250.

Has anyone changed one out? Aside from removing the fan/shroud, it doesn’t appear (from what I’ve read) to be a tough job. No pulley pullers etc…

Finally, I don’t really want to go with a whole new compressor and dea with paying shop fees unless it’s really necessary.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
mine did something similar and it was just the belt, the extra load of the ac when first starting it and a "cold" belt would squeal for a few seconds. You can test this with a spray bottle of water or windex or something. First cold start of the day have someone start the struck with the hood up, spray the ac belt. If the noise stops its just a belt.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Mine did this a while back but I haven’t heard it this year. If you haven’t I’d start with a belt. It’s a separate belt if I’m not mistaken. I need to replace my belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Mine did this a while back but I haven’t heard it this year. If you haven’t I’d start with a belt. It’s a separate belt if I’m not mistaken. I need to replace my belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edit - looks like the yote might be a regular belt set up unlike the ecoboost

stupid stretch fit belt on the ac too... doing my water pump I screwed up and had to cut the new belt, had no choice but to grab one from autozone and it didn't take too long (maybe 30k miles) to start making noise. Stock belt was dead silent at 90k

Last edited:

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
My 2015 has done this a couple times also. I've already replaced one of the belts and tensioners, but I don't remember if it was that one or not. That was probably 60k+ miles ago though.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
I would try a new belt first like others are suggesting also. If that doesn’t fix it, you might have a failing a/c clutch. This guy might help you figure it out with his videos.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Try to shut the A/C off before shutting it down. I remember the fiestas had a tsb with symptoms similar to what you are describing. The fix was to shut the compressor off before turning the engine off.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Try to shut the A/C off before shutting it down. I remember the fiestas had a tsb with symptoms similar to what you are describing. The fix was to shut the compressor off before turning the engine off.
All well and good, but doesn't do shit for you in the hot months for the remote start to cool it down. I agree with the belt deal first.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
All well and good, but doesn't do shit for you in the hot months for the remote start to cool it down. I agree with the belt deal first.
Yeah I would try that first. I didn’t realize he had remote start. We have had a lot of issues with the F150’s expansion valve sticking and causing extremely high, high side pressures and the compressors will squeal real bad on the initial hit. There was a tsb on that issue and I had to replace the evaporator core and expansion valve with an updated part. The new part had more foam isolating the expansion valve from the core to prevent freezing.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I had the Ford dealership order a belt, I'll give it a try first.

As for always turning the truck off without the A/C on, that would be hard enough for me, let alone my wife who drives it daily. Can’t even get her to washing the ****ing thing.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I would try a new belt first like others are suggesting also. If that doesn’t fix it, you might have a failing a/c clutch. This guy might help you figure it out with his videos.

Haha, that sound was definitely a sick elephant caught somewhere. Good video, I’ll be swapping in a new clutch if the belt doesn’t do anything.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
edit once again - i think im wrong about the 5.0 having the separate stretch belt on the ac

the stretch belt is a pain in the ass, id spray some water on it and check. I didnt spend much time on it but I was having no luck getting the existing belt off so I cut it. Id be pretty annoyed if I cut the old belt, wrestled a new one on and had to cut it off again to replace the clutch and buy yet another belt

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The hell is a stretch belt Jerry? @DSG2003Mach1

well one - edited my post above, looks like the yote might have the usual belt setup.

Brad - the 3.5 ecoboost anyway, has a separate belt from crank pulley to ac compressor with NO tensioner. So you basically put the belt around the compressor pulley, partially on the crank pulley and zip tie it to the crank pulley. You turn the crank pulley a little bit at a time and keep adding zip ties to hold the belt on the crank pulley as it turns (and make sure it doesnt walk off the compressor like mine did). Once it snaps into place on the crank pulley you can cut the zip ties.

I didnt have any luck with the stupid stretch belt tool

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
The 5.0 has two belts. The one I need is the “inner belt” so I’m sure it’ll be the giant pain in the ass referenced above.

I have no intentions of using zip ties. I’ll feed it part way onto the necessary pulleys and use a screwdriver or something to pry it over the last one. It sounds like my kids might get to learn some new words to use at school.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I can't speak for everyone, but I can 100% say this will not have any impact on mine. I almost never use my A/C, and it's even more rare that I leave it on when I turn the truck off. Every time this has happened to me was when I pressed the A/C button to turn it on. I actually kind of thought my truck was doing it because of how little I use my A/C, but maybe not.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I honestly rarely turn mine off, same at my house. It's climate control and runs when it needs to.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Changed out the inner A/C belt, should have bought the regular serpentine belt too but that’s not important.

It was a little bigger pain in the but than I hoped, but not “cursing in the garage on the verge of a mental breakdown” difficult.

Realized a few minutes into trying to tweak the inner belt off, that I’d have to remove the outer belt. Pretty simple once you realize there’s a second tensioner.

Finally, had to remove said tensioner to remove the inner belt.

Put everything back together. First start with A/C on… quick screech… cue the curse words.

Told my wife to just let me know if it’s still making noise. Stupid bullshit.

Users who are viewing this thread