5.0 Cobra, blown T-5 tranny.

5LCobra

Established Member
hey...

I own a 94 5.0 Cobra and blew 3rd gear today. I got it home and it was leaking gear oil all over. so I presume the tranny casing has to be cracked. It looks like I have to get a whole new tranny. I am thinking about maybe a tremec tko, something indestructable because while its my everyday car, it sees moderate track time and powershifting. I know I need a new bellhousing, new clutch, new shifter, and pretty sure a new driveshaft to do the tremec tko swap. Is it worth the extra money? plus, is it a "rougher" tranny than the T-5 for street duties? Or if I decide to go with the T-5, should I get a 2.95 low gear world class or what? I dont want to end up having a pile of broken T-5's in my garage. by the way, my car has the stock heads/cam/intake and no power adders so I am sub 300hp, but eventually I would like to go past 300hp. I just have bunch of little mods. Any advice will help, thanks

-Mike.

5LCobra

Established Member
c'mon guys....anyone out there? fellow SVT 5 litre Mustanger sidelined b/c of a sh*t T-5...ANY advice?

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I'm reluctant to reply, cuz I don't wanna jinx myself here... I (crossing fingers) haven't had to deal with this... yet, BUT... the tranny does seem to be extra finiky this season so...?

So for now I can only go off of what I've heard also... and that being like you said the TKO being kinda "rough", and I'm not sure what all has to be replaced to accomodate that tranny.

I was thinking, for me, when I grenade 3rd (hopefully a long, long time from now) of looking into the World Class T-5. I gotta say I'm realitively happy with my stock T-5 so far as I don't know HOW I haven't taken out 3rd a long time ago... have had some NASTY missed shifts (ow ow ow).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Black93Cobra

Established Member
I have had both T5's and Tremec's in my Mustangs and I would recommend the Tremec. If you want it to shift as smooth as a T5, it won't happen. The Tremec is a much tougher trans with more robust gears and syncros so the trans doesn't shift as smoothly as a T5. The World Class T5 is only slightly better than the original equipment T5 in your car. You will also need to modify your transmission crossmember or purchase one specifically for the Tremec because the rear mount for the Tremec is in a different location than the T5. :D

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I too blew my FACTORY World class t-5 a little almost 2 years ago (All t-5's from 87-up are World Class! There is very little difference between the cobra t-5 and the standard WC t-5)) I went with the T-5z (2.95 1st) because at the time I just could not afford to go with the tremec and so far I have not had any problems with the 'z'. Right now without the a custom tune that I badly need I am putting down 326 rwhp and 400 rwtq on a 100 shot of nitrous.

P.S. I got my t-5z for 995.00 with free shipping from Raceparts 2.

Lee

TcM-668

I blew out the T-5 in my 93 Coupe and replaced it with a Tremec 3550, Centerforce Dual Friction, and Lakewood Scattershield.

The Tremec is a nice transmission but it is a bit noisier and a little more notchy than the T-5 but you won't break it like the T-5. I tossed in a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and have not missed third since. Be aware that the 2nd/3rd shift is nice, but you have to fight the shifter coming back to second if down shifting.

I have a T-5 in my 93 GT Conv and the difference is night and day.

If you get the right 3550, it is plug and play. I can't remember if the bellhousing is the same(I think it is), but the speedo, clutch, and driveshaft plug right in.

I would suggest at least examining the clutch and such, and refresh as needed. I did replace my flywheel with a FRPP Billet as well.

Don...
00 R #152
93 GT Conv
93 LX Coupe
92 Honda Accord EX Wagon
89 Isuzu I-Mark Hatch SunSport

Users who are viewing this thread