5.0 Auto Trans Guys Come on In

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
My 2012 Auto has always backfired/afterfired after I got an aftermarket tune. (Have had 3 tunes AED 93Oct, BBR E85, Dyno Tune by Jeff Smith @ CTPerformance E85). It was even worse as I deleted the CATs and added the exhaust. I had added a Aeroforce gauge to watch my AFRs and noticed the 11.4 on decel reading but not being experienced I paid more attention to the 13.8-14.3 that it displayed when idling or on the gas in daily driving. (I understand you have to convert those numbers for E85 that I run, but its still an easy way to track it). Anyhow, the car backfired almost all the time when letting off the gas as the car began to slow.
On a side note, I also added a one piece drive shaft and began to have a hard shift with a loud clunk only on decel. I figuered it was the 2-1 shift however, I learned that it could be shifting down from any gear based on speed. Well i made a thread on the forums asking do you need a tune after the drive shaft install and got chastised pretty hard as if I was an idiot for asking. Well I went back and with the help of Kelly @ BMR via a phone call while under the car, set the pinion angle just right to ensure that wasn't the issue. It still clunked! Little did those people know that gave me such a hard time,that typically they would be right, however with the auto there CAN be an issue with tuning and heres why....

My tuner identified that the car was going real rich on decel so he set out to figure out why. He finally found, "in the coasting tables", that it was commanding a rich condition. (He could tell you the AFR/Lambada numbers it was commanding and I am sure the guys that tune know this) He went in and made the changes. The fact that so much fuel was being dumped as it coasted changed a lot of factors causing secondary and tertiary effects. One of these was the hard shift pressure causing the abrupt shift and clunk. He made the simple changes in the tune and now it drives like a dream. Backfire is completely gone, it has no clunk or hard shift and it feels so nice to drive it. I have seen several threads about the 2011-13 backfiring, or as some call it, after firing so I decided to make this thread just in case it helps someone out.

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
In case this helps with the Gasoline to E85 conversion.
Lambdachart_zps958e2573.jpg

Shaun@AED

Unfortunately the parameter Jeff changed and found to work is not in every calibration.
I'll see if we can have SCT add it to the other strategys so we can resolve this on all 5.0's.

mrm1951

Established Member
I have a BAMA 93 tune on my 2013 and the car runs a lot stronger than stock and the auto shifts very firmly. No complaints..

KONACOYOTE

Established Member
Sounds like you are had the exact issues as my 2011 auto is having. Thanks!!

Is Jeff at CTPerformance the guy who helped you?

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
I get a small pop every once in a while with an AED 93 tune and catless. Is this bad?

04compgt

Established Member
I do the tuning on my car myself and I had this same exact issue in the beginning. I like you had the fuel coasting rich condition in my tune and I corrected it. I thought I was the only one since I have never seen a post like this. Good post OP.

Shaun@AED

Some do it, some don't.
If you log .85 lambda on decel, that is what Jeff was a able to change.

Popping can happen with or without .85 lambda on Decel.

It does not hurt anything and is in all factory tunes.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Lol I get this backfire and clunk often when coming to a full stop! Glad to know what it is and will bring to the attention of my next tuner. Great thread!

KONACOYOTE

Established Member
Torrie McPhail fixed me up @ Unleashed Tuning.

Car running great and powerful.

Bad Tune = clunk/backfire/etc

Thanks for your help

Users who are viewing this thread