5.0 (1994 cobra) vs. 4.6(term)

GO HOKIES!

Established Member
A co-worker i work with has a 5.0 cobra and he was asking me about my terminator. He obviously doesn't know much about terminators b/c he thought my boost (11.5) would be too much for a 4.6L. He has a powerdyne on his cobra with boost @ 6 pounds. I just had a few questions bout the difference behind both these cars. I know they are night and day difference. Are 5.0's DOHC? I know terms have a cast iron block, forged-steel crankshaft, forged “H-beam” connecting rods and forged pistons. I was telling him that 11.5 pounds on a term is nothing and told him i'm actually on the 'conservative' side of these cars. He didn't know they can withstand that much boost. I'm sure our cars have a lot better air flow than 5.0. I'm missing a ton more but i'm just talking about the drivetrain. What other differences are there in the drivetrain? Thanks guys....

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
GO HOKIES! said:
A co-worker i work with has a 5.0 cobra and he was asking me about my terminator. He obviously doesn't know much about terminators b/c he thought my boost (11.5) would be too much for a 4.6L. He has a powerdyne on his cobra with boost @ 6 pounds. I just had a few questions bout the difference behind both these cars. I know they are night and day difference. Are 5.0's DOHC? I know terms have a cast iron block, forged-steel crankshaft, forged “H-beam” connecting rods and forged pistons. I was telling him that 11.5 pounds on a term is nothing and told him i'm actually on the 'conservative' side of these cars. He didn't know they can withstand that much boost. I'm sure our cars have a lot better air flow than 5.0. I'm missing a ton more but i'm just talking about the drivetrain. What other differences are there in the drivetrain? Thanks guys....

The cars are so different that besides a similar chassis there is little in common.

His motor is the old 5.0 pushrod style engine with two valves per cylinder. The heads on those engines don't flow very much at all. The differences are too numerous to list quickly but I'll try.

He doesn't have IRS, Brembos, Bilstein's, good seats, a 6-speed, or low compression forged rotating assembly designed for boost.

GO HOKIES!

Established Member
yea, i know terms have 4 valves per cylinder so that is a huge difference right there.

93 347 Cobra said:
The cars are so different that besides a similar chassis there is little in common.

His motor is the old 5.0 pushrod style engine with two valves per cylinder. The heads on those engines don't flow very much at all. The differences are too numerous to list quickly but I'll try.

He doesn't have IRS, Brembos, Bilstein's, good seats, a 6-speed, or low compression forged rotating assembly designed for boost.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're just comparing the factory 5.0 to the Terminator motor, your points are valid. Your co-worker likely has a near stock 5.0 with the blower and maybe exhaust. Which is why he is at 6 lbs. boost. About the maximum for his higher compression 5.0. However, having 4 valves per cylinder in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean you have a superior engine, power wise, compared to a built pushrod motor. Just wanted to point that out. We all know the history of the 5.0 and most of us have seen what it can do at the track. We also know that the LS1/LS2/LS7 motors are also 2 valve cam-in-block type. An evolution of the original GM V8. How the engine is built (including the bottom end) and what components were used has more to do with which one is superior in comparing any one motor to another.

In this particular case, you co-worker needs to fear your Terminator. It does sound like he knows very little about it.

Oh, if you want to read more basics about the Terminator, read through my FAQ page. http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm

I hope for the sake of your co-worker that he never really wants to race you.

GO HOKIES!

Established Member
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your feedback. Even though I've owened a terminator for over 3 years, I feel like I don't know as much about it as I should. :nonono: But I'm still learning:-D :pepper:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
There are soooo many differences! Race him, then take him for a ride and then school him. Can't believe he doesnt know about them. :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread