4WD vs AWD, what's the difference?

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Unrelated but related, is it ok to leave the hubs locked all the time? 4x4 engaged only when needed of course.
I don't do this but I've read differing opinions on it.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Unrelated but related, is it ok to leave the hubs locked all the time? 4x4 engaged only when needed of course.

Yes, its fine. Just wears things out a little quicker up front, and small MPG reduction.

OX1

Established Member

If you have an open front diff. If like on new Tremors, you have front limited slip (clutch pack style, especially). I would not.

But Superduty's have an auto setting on the front hubs, so nothing needed to do unless you wanted to lock them in full time (again though I would not leave them that way long term).

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have an open front diff. If like on new Tremors, you have front limited slip (clutch pack style, especially). I would not.

But Superduty's have an auto setting on the front hubs, so nothing needed to do unless you wanted to lock them in full time (again though I would not leave them that way long term).
I'm in this camp. I've always been told not to leave the hubs locked. I believe it can lead to premature wear.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't lock axles or center differentials during normal, dry or mildly wet driving. Each axle turns at different rpms while turning, hence the need for limited slip or open differentials.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I put Torsen differentials in the front and rear of my 01" SuperDuty. That thing will go just about anywhere with the 35" Duratracs on it.

On another note, if the vehicle has a selection for Auto 4WD, like my Suburban does, do not leave it in that mode all the time. It is fine when going from slippery to dry surfaces during your commute, but it will tear things up if you leave in in Auto mode all day every day on dry roads. Rotate the dial to 2WD. It takes 2 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread