4V head removal questions

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
I want to remove the heads from the engine while its still in the car. Obviously the front timing cover will need to come off but will i need to mess with the oil pan at all to do this procedure? Do you guys have any tips or tricks or is there anything I should be aware of while doing this job?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i believe you may have to unbolt the pan at the front where it meets the timing cover.

Honestly, pulling both heads, you'd be better of pulling/dropping the motor imho

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i believe you may have to unbolt the pan at the front where it meets the timing cover.

Honestly, pulling both heads, you'd be better of pulling/dropping the motor imho

lol i had pretty much the exact reply typed out, but then didn't send it. if it were me i would do everything i could to get the engine on a stand for this job.

op are you married to the idea of doing this over the fender? lots of guys on here have done it so you can probably get some good advice, but to me it seems like it'd be harder work than pulling or dropping the engine. either way, best of luck with it!

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
It's not that bad, just time consuming. You'll need to disconnect the brake booster to get the drivers side valve cover off. You may also have to drop the k member to get to all of the header bolts.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I know it's possible, but after just swapping the valve covers in the car I decided that if anything ever needs to be done along those lines the engine is coming out. The few hours spent pulling the engine will save days of frustration down the road.

But as DSG mentioned, you'll have to unbolt the timing cover from the oil pan from below.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I've done both ways ,

I highly suggest pulling engine .

More than 1 reason..

Sealing the timing cover ..important working upside down sucks,

Lower pulley is easier out of car to get loose..

Oil pickup tube will have junk on it,,Than inside of oil cooler will have more junk trapped .

I had shreds of timing chain guide plastic and chunks of silicone ..

Over fender wasn't bad. I pulled a set and sent them out to machine shop.

Than removed engine while waiting..installed engine assembled,

I also did drivers head over fender and was able to remove with longtube header attached,

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
It can be done but I would also suggest pulling the engine. To pull the drivers head remove the hydro boost and you got to be careful not scratch the mating surface of the heads.

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
Ok so ive been contemplating just unbolting the K-member and dropping the engine out from the bottom. I dont have a car lift but i do have a forklift so i could use that to pick up the front of the car to get the engine out. Is this the best way to take one of these engines out of these cars?

Saleen498

Established Member
Without a lift, an engine hoist with a leveler is the way to go. I've dropped the K and rolled the whole assembly from under but you have to get the car pretty high on blocks to clear the lower radiator support. With a forklift the angle of the body would be pretty extreme to clear it and you will most likely be dragging your rear bumper on the ground. With a leveler bar and some time you can pull the engine and tranny together without scrapping anything.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Without a lift, an engine hoist with a leveler is the way to go. I've dropped the K and rolled the whole assembly from under but you have to get the car pretty high on blocks to clear the lower radiator support. With a forklift the angle of the body would be pretty extreme to clear it and you will most likely be dragging your rear bumper on the ground. With a leveler bar and some time you can pull the engine and tranny together without scrapping anything.

Put stands under the rear axle at the highest setting.

Coming out the front will be very high though, coming out the fender cuts that down quite a bit

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Cherry picker. Easy. This doesn’t have to be this difficult. Pulling engines in these cars is pretty straightforward and easy.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Cherry picker. Easy. This doesn’t have to be this difficult. Pulling engines in these cars is pretty straightforward and easy.
I’ve here gone out the top, always out the bottom. The cherry picker on the crash bar with rear end on stands is plenty of room with the fender liner kit and intake on (NA car anyway)

Users who are viewing this thread